cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Beware: Fake AMD Ryzen processor scams are out there

Beware buying 3rd party, this seems to be limited to them, not like the big Newegg Counterfeit Intel processors scandal a while back.

Buyer Beware! Reports Of Fake Ryzen CPUs Popping Up On Retail Sites

In this case, it seems the crooks behind the caper used low-cost Celeron processors for the scam. The process works something like this: The scammer buys a handful of legitimate high dollar AMD Ryzen 7 1800X processors, scans the CPU heatspreader, and then prints a sticker and applies it to the face of the fake CPU (in this case an old Celeron processor). The scammer returns the counterfeit processor to the box, reseals it, and then sells it on eBay / Amazon. This type of scam works because the counterfeit processor looks authentic from the outside of the package.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

Re: Beware: Fake AMD Ryzen processor scams are out there

Hello BZ,

I couldn't have too much sympathy for people who might get a fake Ryzen, depending on how and why they acquired it. The prices for Ryzen are pretty well standard now so if a person sees a rather good deal on one from a vendor they normally don't buy from then that in and of itself should be setting your own internal alarm bells off.

Hard to feel sorry for someone that is always trying to get something for nothing , So To Speak . I always pay attention to my little guy on the shoulder, he has never let me down yet. And as a great actor once said in an awesome movie, " If your afraid of getting a rotten apple, don't go to the barrel, get it from the tree"

Cheers,

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Have to be careful about buys from Amazon themselves too. They mix in returned units with new units, it's how I ended up with an empty box with my first 1800X.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

Hi BZ,

The thing with amazon, I would be wary of sellers on Amazon, but as far as Amazon themselves not covering issues that arise, I couldn't see that happening. I wouldn't be surprised if they felt to need to cover a sellers arse as well. Provided by Amazon sold By Amazon = Good Support

Offered On Amazon sold by Other Seller = Buyer Beware ( But Keep Amazon In The Loop )

Cheers,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Aye, there was little hesitation for them to give me a replacement after I gave them the serial number.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

If they could also modify the CPUID value fooling the firmware and OS believing it is an AMD Ryzen, that would be a charming processor! Because those processors could work on the old mobo and systems!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Celeron is LGA, Ryzen is µPGA.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

Maybe later AMD would use some similar techniques as their Opteron processors, in the form of LGA rather than the socket, for future Ryzen based processors. At least, processors in the form of LGA does need worrying pins missing, broken and related problems... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Socket TR4 and SP3r2 (Threadripper) is LGA 4094, same as all previous AMD server sockets since after 939. AMD patented a PGA to LGA adapter, though its use is yet to be revealed.