cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Best DNS for gaming

One area I overlooked in a "perfect" set-up for on-line PC games was my internet throughput.....ie Ping. There were much better/faster results using my own choice of DNS severs than the ones furnished (default) by my ISP. One easy way to find out is use the GRC's | DNS Nameserver Performance Benchmark  . Takes 2 minutes. This provides the addresses of the fastest most stable DNS servers for your (general) location. Low ping=faster response. See the top 2 fastest, enter them in your router ("use these dns address"). To get the absolute fastest server near where you live, run the additional localized scan.It takes about  15-20 minutes for this test.

If you don't use a router then change the DNS in 'Network and Sharing'

15 Replies
Highlighted
Forerunner
Forerunner

Re: Best DNS for gaming

A nice little utility.. I used it, its simple and it works. Thanks.

Highlighted
Exemplar
Exemplar

Hello,

Norton ConnectSafe also quite good.

Norton ConnectSafe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forerunner
Forerunner

I dont care for anything cloud based

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

DNS servers will affect web browsing and general use, but they'll almost never do anything for gaming.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forerunner
Forerunner

depends, if you get a dns server thats closer to you geographically and on a faster connection it will help your pings.. I ran the dns bnech and my pings are about 15ms better, which isnt much but any helps my old self

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

It will help with your pings to DNS servers, but DNS queries are cached on your machine so you're not getting that much out of it.  Games also use IP addresses rather than domain names, which DNS servers are not called at all for.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Alternate DNSes can even harm performance by messing with the CDNs (content delivery networks) which let services provide content from servers closer to you.

I'm not saying they're all bad, mind you.  I've used them myself, though I don't currently.  This thread just seems to be attributing something to it that doesn't happen.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Paragon
Paragon

I don't care too much about gaming anymore. I like privacy.

Using cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 DNS instead of my snoopy ISP's.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

How did this get necroposted, must be the forum glitching...But yes Cloudflare is the best for privacy CloudFlare launches it's own privacy focused DNS Service​​ and when the difference is thousandths of miliseconds, there's no reason not to use it.

0 Kudos