Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

sether1n3
Journeyman III

Bent CPU pins without reason

Hello, 

I bought a gaming PC about 3 weeks ago with a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU. I do not know much about computer parts so I bought everything from a local reseller who buys and assembles everything (since I live in a 3rd world country and can't afford shipping).

My PC was running fine since I bought it, I only played simple games (LoL, Assassin's Creed brotherhood, Genshin Impact) and never messed with the settings.

When I was playing a visual novel type of game, the game froze and wouldn't back out to windows so I had to manually turn off my PC. When I turned it back on, there was no beep and the monitor had a no signal sign. The fans and lights were all working, even the keyboard lit up but not the mouse. I took it to the reseller and he called me and told me one of the CPU pins is bent due to overclocking??? I don't even know how to do that. He said when he checked the thermal paste it was all dried up.

Can someone please help me? He says he can't change it because the AMD warranty doesn't cover bent pins but I never even opened my PC nor did I mess with the settings.

0 Likes
2 Replies

Your reseller is trying to get out of replacing the CPU and doing its responsibilities.

Overheating doesn't cause bent pins on a CPU. As far as I know only physical force on CPU pin can bend it. Like, for instance,  if you rip out the CPU from the socket or you drop the CPU on a hard surface or you forced the CPU in the motherboard's socket in the wrong direction while installing it.

I bet since the Reseller mentioned the Thermal paste was dried that when the Reseller tried to remove the CPU Cooler he ripped the CPU out of the motherboard's socket bending one of the pins. It is possible the CPU Cooler became glued to the CPU thus when he tried to remove the CPU Cooler he ripped out the CPU from the motherboard damaging it. Just my guess.

If the Reseller said the CPU has bent pin(s) then it was the Reseller who damaged your CPU and should replace it themselves. Since they were the ones who installed it in the first place and you didn't touch the CPU in anyway like removing it or removing the CPU Cooler etc.

The Thermal paste could have gone bad but that is not your fault but the Reseller who assembled your PC.  Maybe he used inferior Thermal paste or applied it incorrectly.

The Reseller is telling the truth about the AMD 3 year Warranty being voided if your CPU has bent or broken pins. But there is a excellent chance with the correct procedure and tool to straighten out the bent pin without breaking it. Broken pins there is not much you can do except hope it is a pin that doesn't affect the CPU performance or operation.

The Reseller is the one who built your PC thus the Reseller is responsible if any parts that are defective or installed incorrectly. If you didn't open the PC computer case and messed with the parts inside you are not responsible but the Reseller.

It is possible the another part became defective like the Motherboard or PSU etc.

Did the Reseller give you a Warranty on your PC built by them?

EDIT: If you reside in the European Union you have certain rights and a 2 year Warranty from the Reseller. 

But If not from the European Union, do you mind mentioning which country you are from?

Thanny
Miniboss

He's trying to scam you. 

You can't bend a CPU pin by overclocking, or doing anything other than physically pushing on the pin.

I can't guess what the actual problem is with the limited information you have available to you, but it's not from anything you've done just by using the computer.  Insist he fix the problem, or get your money back.

0 Likes