cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

Atari's Ataribox to contain AMD APU, cost $250-$300

This leaves Nintendo as the only holdout, producing inferior hardware and banking on first party titles...

Ataribox aims high with $250-300 price point, Linux core, custom AMD chip | Ars Technica

The spec sheet, as announced, is still pretty vague, but Atari has confirmed a few notable things, starting with a price point between $250 and $300. In exchange for costing roughly as much as a Nintendo Switch, Xbox One S, or PlayStation 4, the Ataribox will come packed with an "AMD customized processor with Radeon graphics technology." Additionally, this will not be an Android system. Instead, the Ataribox will run Linux "with a customized, easy-to-use user interface."

0 Kudos
7 Replies
rebelyell
Exemplar
Exemplar

Re: Atari's Ataribox to contain AMD APU, cost $250-$300

i love atari . old stuff... good fun.... i had commadore same theng all IBM with different names good stuff. activision

0 Kudos
rebelyell
Exemplar
Exemplar

wink wink wink , linux hail yea. i said 2 years till new beginning and less then 1 it comming its comming soon... goodbye windows i love it... thumbs up for the future..

0 Kudos
ajlueke
Exemplar
Exemplar

Fond memories.  I also had the Commodore 128 with the Atari cartridge port on the back.  Wait, computers could play consoles games directly?  Is this the future?  Always preferred "Omega Race" to "Asteriod", wonder if I still have that cartridge laying around somewhere?

0 Kudos
black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

There is a retro Commodore 64 coming as well, though there's no news on specs yet, but it will ship with 64 games for $70

The C64 Mini: The miniature Commodore 64 to be released

ajlueke
Exemplar
Exemplar

You sir, have just made my day.

0 Kudos
rebelyell
Exemplar
Exemplar

commadore 64 games thats every single ibm game ever made... thats  like hundreds of games plus.. they would never give those away that cheap.. unless they are the refabed type versions.. which ive seen and not the same but hey ya never know. i suppose. IBM

0 Kudos
ajlueke
Exemplar
Exemplar

If you actually follow the link, you'd see the games included in the system.  Also, since the IBM PC and it's MS-DOS compatible clones didn't become the predominant platform until the mid-80s.  Because of that, several titles, like Hunter's Moon in this set were C64 only.  Heart of Africa was another C64 only game, not included on the mini, but I have my 5.25 floppy still.

Hopefully, you still need to type in LOAD "*",8,1 to boot into a game.   

0 Kudos