cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

hssreddragon
Adept II

Asus Tuf X570 Motherboard 5800x CPU Reboots

I'm dealing with some really bizarre reboots on a brand new system I just put together. I've been reading through these discussion forums and seeing a lot of similar issues, some of them years old at this point.

The system in question is:

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
  • ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS WIFI Motherboard (BIOS v4204)
  • G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL16 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit F4-3200C16D-32GTZR
  • Corsair RM850X Gold PSU
  • Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVME
  • EVGA 1080 FTW3

Settings

• DOCP On
  • SVM Mode Enabled
  • SR-IOV Support Enabled
  • Secure Boot On
  • CSM Compatibility Disabled

Tests

• RAM tested in another machine with no problems
  • Temps on all hardware are well within specs.
  • Video card tested in another machine with no problems.
  • Moved NVME to both slot locations to test heat differences
  • Installed fresh copy of Windows twice to eliminate possible corruptions from crashes during driver installs.

With a fresh build of Windows 10 21H2 the system will complete the installation process but after running a few Windows Updates will become incredibly unstable. It will start to black screen reboot at random times with no BSOD. It can happen at idle or in the middle of loading drivers and software. The last time I saw something like this is when the B450 motherboards I had were having voltage issues with the AMD 3600 CPUs I was installing. In that case, it was an easy voltage change and move on. This not so much.

Quite frankly this is now like the 4th or 5th major issue I've had since moving to AMD a few years ago and once I complete this build I'm probably going back to Intel. With as many BIOS updates as this board has had in the past year I would expect it to be more stable than this. I have another machine with a 5900x in it with none of these issues. However, I also have a 3600x in another machine that has random lockups with no black screen reboots yet sitting right next to it is a 3600x with no issues at all. All the same motherboards. I build a lot of machines for myself and others and this kind of instability is insane when I'm literally ordering exactly the same supporting hardware. 

I have read and jotted down some things to try based off the comments in this forum. I just wanted to see if there was anyone still having issues currently with this hardware scenario and see if this system is worth trying to save or whether it's just going to be a support nightmare if I turn it over to a new owner. The system currently doesn't stay up long enough to rely on diagnostic software to get a chance to even be installed let along actually run for any amount of time. 

Thank you!

1 Solution

After a weekend of testing and tearing apart other machines to have enough spare parts to do a full parts swap on this thing I finally isolated the problem down to the CPU. Swapped out PSU, Motherboard and RAM this weekend to finally feel secure in making that call. Once I saw the CPU do the exact same rebooting in a system that had all different components I was done. After all is said and done, the RMA has been submitted, the 3 other machines I have torn apart are back together and I await the processing of the new CPU. This is the first CPU failure, out of the box, that I've seen in a long, long time. I was not expecting it and came here wanting to validate my own knowledge with those in these discussion boards to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious. I appreciate the patience as I thought out loud through the process.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

39 Replies