cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

AMD vs Intel: Which CPU Cooks Better Pancakes? (TomsHardware)

Ok, yes, it is a joke premise, but it did show an interesting fact that AMD hasn't (as of this post) yet responded to: Threadripper doesn't throttle, it just shuts down which is typical AMD fare, whereas the 9980XE did. That could be an issue where you, say, leave a very heavy workload to complete overnight and something happens with the cooling, either room or system. The AMD system would shut down, potentially losing all work, whereas the Intel system would throttle to a crawl, saving your work.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-amd-hedt-pancakes,6366.html

7 Replies

Why did you mention that the AMD Threadripper DOESN"T THROTTLE?

black_zion wrote:

Ok, yes, it is a joke premise, but it did show an interesting fact that AMD hasn't (as of this post) yet responded to: Threadripper doesn't throttle, it just shuts down which is typical AMD fare

As far as I know, All processors try to lower excessive heat first by throttling otherwise Users computer will be shutting down under heavy cpu loads immediately.

I did find it interesting that a frying pan was able to prevent the processors being used from shutting down immediately. As would be the case when a CPU has no heat sink mounted.

0 Likes

Because in that test, it didn't. The 9980XE ran fine (throttled) at 104C, but AMD just gave up.

0 Likes

Doesn't AMD Threadripper have a lower Max Operating Temp than the Intel Processors?

The AMD processor probably did throttle but once it reached the temperature of shutting down it did due to inefficient heat removal and having a higher TDP wattage than the Intel processor.

The Intel Processor Max Temp is 84c while the AMD Processor is 68C.

I would suspect the AMD processor to shut down around 100C or less while the Intel processor won't.

Plus the Intel TDP is 164 Watts  while the AMD TDP is 250 Watts.

It is difficult to compare those two processors reactions to thermal heat due to the vast difference in TDPs and Max Operating Temps.

0 Likes

But the Intel processor was still working at 104C as stated in the article, AMD was not, AMD just shut down. I know from my Corsair H105's issue that Ryzen systems will shut off at 95C, and it's quite likely AMD hardcodes this safety value in and vendors are not allowed to change it, but Intel processors just throttle even at temperatures near 30 degrees higher than their rated maximum temperature. It is quite likely not good on the hardware as far as longevity is concerned, but when a reputable, AMD trusted review site is surprised that a processor in 2019 doesn't throttle heavily but triggers a shutdown instead, there's something amiss.

And as we know, Intel TDPs are usually very far from the truth, and that under full stress without any overclocking, the 9980XE and 2990WX pull similar wattage.

Image1

0 Likes

Ah, Okay, I see your point. I understand now what you meant. 

It is an interesting experiment. It visually shows how hot a processor gets. Hot enough to heat up a small frying pan and cook a pancake.

0 Likes

Is a visual representation of something most people don't think about. You drink hot beverages at 50C, poach fish at 60C, cook a steak at 72C...

Still, will be nice to see if AMD responds, and will be interesting if they do another article testing Threadripper throttling by simulating a cooling failure, namely by starting a stress test then pulling the plug on the cooling unit.

0 Likes

I would gladly do it if I don't have to pay for the processor and is given to me free of charge, in case the processor heads south after being tested. (-:

0 Likes