cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

ajlueke
Grandmaster

Re: AMD Vega 20 7nm leaked? +70% IPC vs Vega 64...

Effectively as fast in gaming alone.  In pretty much every other work load, Vega is faster, which is why the price of Vega was driven up higher than their NVidia counterpart.  Not a great thing for AMD, since they don't reap any of the benefits of the higher prices, but the AIB partners and resellers get quite a bit of extra cash though.

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

AMD launching Vega 20 on 7nm with 32GB HBM2 at Computex 2018

Doesn't look like there will be an RX version.

0 Likes

Not at Computex, but with nVidia demonstrating their next generation cards there with availability next month, AMD's going to have to do something soon else face having to drop off the map again the way they did with the X1000, HD 2000, and HD 3000 series.

0 Likes
leyvin
Miniboss

When Futuremark has no data on Hardware it defaults to 1,000MHz., that isn't a +70% IPC Improvement.

What you're looking at (at a guess) is RX VEGA 64 7nm Air-Cooled Vs. RX VEGA 64 14nm Liquid-Cooled...

As we know the RX Vega 64 LCE is operating at 1700MHz., given the performance differential (~1%) is within Margin-of-Error we can assume the Air-Cooled 7nm Version is essentially also operating at 1700MHz (although maybe not... notice the HBM2 Clock)

Given we also know that Global Foundries 7nm LPP provides a 40% Performance Boost (i.e. Higher "Peak Efficiency") or 60% Lower Power Consumption., then we can actually begin to calculate some details.

Keep in mind that we know that the RX VEGA 64 has 3 Power Settings: Efficient / 265w, Balanced / 305w, Turbo / 350w (1630MHz)…

Now as a keynote., 37w is for the HBM2 (14nm) … if we switch this to 7nm this reduced to 15w (at 945MHz), but we're running at 1250MHz., so 19.4w but we're talking 4x (i.e. 32GB Vs. 8GB)., so a total of 77.5w (for the HBM2).

As a note it will also be operating at 640GB/s Bandwidth; again we'll get into how this might impact performance in a moment.

Still as we can strip out 37w for Memory., it's difficult to really pin down how much Power Draw the Fan uses... but generally speaking we're talking ~35-42w at peak.

Let's for arguments sake just use the Lower Value, as to assume the "Worst Case" for the GPU Power Draw.

Thus, 72w is Non-GPU Related... meaning: 193w / 233w / 278w is purely the GPU Draw.

As we're clearly not seeing a Clock Increase, we can ignore the Performance Boost; and just assume a straight 60% Power Reduction.

i.e. (77) 155w / (94) 171w / (112) 189w would be the result (including HBM2) … this would mean when we factor in the Fan Power Profile., we're looking at ~220 - 235w as it's "Peak Power"

While providing the same basic Performance as the Vega 64 LCE., which is essentially putting it more within the realm of Mainstream Power Consumption; while providing Prosumer Performance.

Of course unfortunately 32GB HBM2 (8GB HBM2 costs at present ~$315, so for 32GB you're looking at $1,260) this means that we should expect to see it retail for ~$1,800 - 2,500... so don't expect it to be within most Consumer' reasonable price range.

< • >

I'll make a post later about my predictions for the Computex Event Announcements tomorrow, but that should be salivating enough for those curious about what the 7nm Vega is likely to provide.

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Sounds like NVidia didn't demonstrate anything.

Computex 2018 NVIDIA Live Blog (1pm TW, 5am UTC)

0 Likes