Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Adept I
Adept I

Re: AMD Shipping Free APUs to Customers to Address Firmware Update Issue

Jump to solution

I put my request in on the same day and got those automatic emails. Don't know about their usual turnaround, but I wasn't expecting a response by today at the soonest because of the long weekend.

0 Kudos
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I'm in a similar position. Placed my request on the 17th, received the same emails (new request received and ticket #), but have not yet heard a response. I imagine there's a lot of people requesting boot kits for new builds who don't have an old CPU lying around? Hopefully we hear back soon!

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

AMD's page: Unable to Boot New Desktop System Configured with AMD 2nd Generation Ryzen™ Desktop Processor, and A...

Remember that these boot kits are intended to be a "last resort", and that customers are first required to contact the board manufacturer for an RMA

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

From a diagnostic perspective, removing the motherboard is a last resort, not swapping the CPU. I don't mean to bicker, but after disconnecting all components and dismounting the board, I'd rather return it to the seller saying it was DOA than have it shipped, updated, then shipped back (and Gigabyte's service center is in California across the country from me). I requested a boot kit not just for my own convenience - in the world of PC building, other things could still have gone wrong. I need try a compatible CPU first before anything else.

I'm obviously frustrated but don't take this as an argument against anything you've said. Everyone on the forum has been helpful, just wanna lay down some discussion points. The sticker program would be helpful as well, but it's not easy to see if a sticker is on the package when you're buying something online (which I did). It could conceivably be an updated board, but the seller neglects to make a change to the product description to say that.

0 Kudos
Exemplar
Exemplar

Jump to solution

Every single motherboard manufacturer supplies one of these with there motherboards.

pastedImage_0.png

If you see the motherboard you are purchasing requires a later BIOS for your supported CPU, always ask the vendor which BIOS is installed on the board you are buying.  If it is a lower revision, ask if they will update it for you.  If they won't, then you are left with the choice of submitting for the boot kit, or burning extra dough to get a second processor for updating, or buying a different motherboard.