AMD Issues with all game

Hello everyone,

I have some issues with my brand new PC that I bought on Amazon:

- Ryzen 7700x

- 32Gb DDR5 RAM

-Asus Strix B-650A WiFi

- XFX 6800XT

- Corsair 80Gold 850WATT

Every time I try to play a few games on my pc, after a while, it crashes. It happened with OVerwatch 2, Forza Horizon 5, Uncharted. I play on Windows 11 with the latest driver for GPU and Chipest and the latest BIOS

21 Replies
cwiggles
Elite

Hi,

what sort of cooler was installed on the CPU? I'm just wondering if its shutting down due to the CPU temp exceeding its max rated temp.  Have you checked the idle and "under load" CPU temps? You can use tools such as CPU-Z and HWINFO to check CPU temps and other system settings. 

I would also ensure that the two 8 pin power cables to the GPU are in fact two separate cables from the PSU and not a single cable with two 8 pin connectors. The later can cause some lower spec PSU to trip their OCP circuitry.  

I would also use either CPU-Z or HWINFO to make sure the GFX card is running in a x16 PCIe slot, though if it's not it shouldn't cause the system to crash, but it's still something worth checking to cross off the list. 

Craig

@cwiggles wrote:

Hi,

what sort of cooler was installed on the CPU? I'm just wondering if its shutting down due to the CPU temp exceeding its max rated temp.  Have you checked the idle and "under load" CPU temps? You can use tools such as CPU-Z and HWINFO to check CPU temps and other system settings. 

I would also ensure that the two 8 pin power cables to the GPU are in fact two separate cables from the PSU and not a single cable with two 8 pin connectors. The later can cause some lower spec PSU to trip their OCP circuitry.  

I would also use either CPU-Z or HWINFO to make sure the GFX card is running in a x16 PCIe slot, though if it's not it shouldn't cause the system to crash, but it's still something worth checking to cross off the list. 

Craig

Hello Craig, 

thank you for Reply! I have tride your suggestion but games still not working. After a while they crash or they forced closed.

I didn't connect the supplementary 4 pin for CPU in the motherbord. Could be this the problem? 

I monitored the temp, CPU and GPU are 75/80 degree, I'm using an air cooler: DeepCool AK500.

0 Likes

Hi Fredrico,

Were those temps when idle or playing a game? If there idle temps then they are high compared to my 7700X / RX-6700XT setup My idle temps are typically
- CPU:  37 - 44C
- GPU: 40C/45C (package/hot spot)

if your temps are under load/gaming then they don't look too bad. Even so I would check your CPU cooler to make sure the cooler fins are not becoming blocked up with dust. If that happens then the head sink becomes a heater because air can't pass through the fins to take away the heat. 

Other things to check are to make sure the case fans are working and that their filters are not getting clogged up with dust. Basically, just make sure there is adequate ventilation in the case. 

I don't think the PSU is the issue, a gold rated 750W PSU *should* be ok, though personally I probably would have opted for an 800-850W myself, but it may be worth considering, esp if you could arrange for a loan of one to test with.  I would also connect the optional 4 pin power connector; it won't do any harm in doing so. 

About the only other thing I would try is using DDU to uninstall your graphics drivers and trying the Adrenalin 22.5.1 build and see if the crashing still occurs. If not then you could try installing each successive driver build until the instability occurs and then at least you will know which driver to avoid. The *latest* drivers are not always the best/stable

I suppose as a last resort if all of the above doesn't address the issue you could try taking it a computer store to see if they can diagnose the issue for you OR if you have a friend who has the same gfx card, see if you can test their card in your system to see if the issue is specific to your card. I would be very surprised if that turned out to be the case though. 

Oh, by the way, if you happen to live in Florida, there is a YouTuber there who will actually attempt to fix peoples gaming rigs for free, he just posts the video of it on YouTube.  The channel is called Greg Salazar.  And just to make it clear, I have no relationship with this person, I just stumbled across his channel and found it quite informative. 

Best of luck
Craig 

p.s.

I forgot to mention, your motherboards BIOS should have an option to enable/disable ECO mode. I would try enabling it to see if it helps. You may lose anywhere from 5%-8% overall performance but it lowers the CPU temps quite a bit.

0 Likes

Hi Craig! 

The temps are in game, when PC is in idle CPU is around 37 C and the GPU 44/46 C. The PC is new (i received it last Sunday) so i think it's not connected with dust. 

I'm using 850W PSU as you suggested and connected the 4 pin power connector but the the issue persist. 

I will try to install the AMD Adrenalin 22.5.1, i hope it works! I've already enable ECO Mode in BIOS.

Last thing, I live in Milan (Italy) so Florida is quite far away from here ahaha  

0 Likes

Hi Fredrico,

Seeing it's so new it may be worth taking it back to the shop to see if they can help you out. 
I'm in Australia, so just as far away from Florida as yourself!    The guy's channel is still worth a look at though imho.

Check to see if your video card is in the topmost PCIe slot, the one closest to the CPU, that PCIe is a x16 lane slot, the other PCIe slots on the board are only x4 typically and can share resources with other devices like NVME SSDs. Seeing it's a prebuilt it should be in the right PCIe slot, but check anyway.  Also check to make sure REBAR is enabled in the BIOS for the GFX card.

One last question, does the Windows actually crash (bluescreen) or is it doing a power reset as if you turned the power off/on again?

About the only other thing I would check is the RAM. The ram kit should support EXPO, AMD's version of XMP. Also check to see if the ram they used is supported, you can check that on ASUS's website. Also look in the bios to see if EXPO is enabled or not. If it's not and the memory does support EXPO then enable it in the bios. 

Craig

0 Likes

Hello Craig!! 

Hope you're well! I realized today that my ram is a DDR5 5600MHZ but the Ryzen 7700x supports up to 5200Mhz... could it be the problem? In this case, could I perform a sort of "Downgrade"/"downlock" of the ram speed or I need to buy a new RAM? 

Thank you in advance and Merry Christmas!  

0 Likes

Hi Federico,

What is the exact ram kit you are using, brand and model/part #?  As far as I know the 7700X does support PC5-4600(5600) RAM and tops out at PC5-4800(6000) which is what I use. You just need to make sure the ram kit used supports EXPO to ensure max compatibility.  In fact, according to the manual for your board is supports the following ram speeds
- 4 x DIMM, Max. 128GB, DDR5 6400+(OC)/ 6200(OC)/ 6000(OC)/ 5800(OC)/ 5600(OC)/ 5400(OC)/ 5200/ 5000/ 4800

I'm using the following ram kit in my ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi  build

G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32GB (2x16GB) PC5-48000 (6000MHz) DDR5, 30-38-38-96, 1.35V, Dual Channel Kit, AMD Ready, Matte Black, AMD EXPO Support

Just make sure your kit is EXPO enabled and if it is not then I would go about replacing it with one that is. Perhaps the shop you got it from will be willing to swap/trade the ram for one with EXPO support. 

If you ram is EXPO enabled, then about the only other thing I can suggest it to make sure the two ram dims are in the correct dim slots. Your m/b the manual states for a 2 dim setup to use dim slots A2 and B2. If they are currently in non-matching dim slots such as A1 and B2 then that can cause significant degraded CPU performance. Refer to page 1-5 in your m/b manual. Actually, this should have been one of the first things to have you check. All I can say in my defence is getting old is a pita

And a merry xmas/season's greetings to you as well. 

Craig

0 Likes

G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32GB (2x16GB) PC5-48000 (6000MHz) DDR5, 30-38-38-96

Just make sure your kit is EXPO enabled and if it is not then I would go about replacing it with one that is. Perhaps the shop you got it from will be willing to swap/trade the ram for one with EXPO support. 

If you ram is EXPO enabled, then about the only other thing I can suggest it to make sure the two ram dims are in the correct dim slots. Your m/b the manual states for a 2 dim setup to use dim slots A2 and B2. If they are currently in non-matching dim slots such as A1 and B2 then that can cause significant degraded CPU performance. Refer to page 1-5 in your m/b manual.

Craig

0 Likes

YES!

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
0 Likes

Hi all i had the same issues the past couple of weeks .... on of those time i was just chilling in-game and that occurs, i let it fully crash and get the memory dump of windows and this is what i had : https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/dxgkrnlsys-dcp-violation-bsod-rx-6600/m-p/567334

0 Likes
Vynski
Exemplar

Make sure all power pins are plugged into that motherboard.  This is one of the very reasons they exist.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
0 Likes

Hi Frederic,

I did a quick google on your issue and some threads I saw suggested that disabling Freesync in the Adrenalin drivers reduced/fixed the black screen/crash issues. May be worth giving it a shot.

Off to bed now. 

Craig

0 Likes
rjbankai
Adept I

Hi cwiggles, i ahve the same behaviors and Freesync is disble already

0 Likes

From what i saw on forums that people disabled MPO to solve that issue, not sure yet but it seems a good lead

cwiggles
Elite

Hi Federico,

What is the exact ram kit you are using, brand and model/part #?  As far as I know the 7700X does support PC5-4600(5600) RAM and tops out at PC5-4800(6000) which is what I use. You just need to make sure the ram kit used supports EXPO to ensure max compatibility.  In fact, according to the manual for your board is supports the following ram speeds
- 4 x DIMM, Max. 128GB, DDR5 6400+(OC)/ 6200(OC)/ 6000(OC)/ 5800(OC)/ 5600(OC)/ 5400(OC)/ 5200/ 5000/ 4800

- G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32GB (2x16GB) PC5-48000 (6000MHz) DDR5, 30-38-38-96, 1.35V, Dual Channel Kit, AMD Ready, Matte Black, AMD EXPO Support

If you ram is EXPO enabled, then about the only other thing I can suggest it to make sure the two ram dims are in the correct dim slots. Your m/b the manual states for a 2 dim setup to use dim slots A2 and B2. If they are currently in non-matching dim slots such as A1 and B2 then that can cause significant degraded CPU performance. Refer to page 1-5 in your m/b manual.

Craig

0 Likes
levin
Adept II

i don't have the same problem, but i feel some lag, when i don't get black screen..

details here - https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/windows-11-bsod-code-139-124-50-7e-and-3b/m-p/570873/t...

Seitmola
0 Likes
cwiggles
Elite

Really confused, all my recent posts are being deleted, not sure why. Fredrico, your ram should be ok, it';s within spec according to your motherboard's manual. Just check to make sure your two RAM modules are in ram slots A2 and B2 as recommended by ASUS. If the ram modules are in different numbered slots like A1 and B2, that will impact the CPU performance. 

Craig

Craig

Hey @cwiggles , looks like you were caught by our spam blocker. I'm working on unhiding your posts as we speak! 

Best,
Your friend at AMD
PC specs | Twitter | Red Team Discord
0 Likes

Hi Amber,

Thanks. Any chance the edit option can be re-enabled on my posts as there are some duplicates now I would like to remove.

tia

Craig

Not a problem, I deleted the ones I saw looked like duplicates! 

Best,
Your friend at AMD
PC specs | Twitter | Red Team Discord

Thanks Amber.