Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

colesdav
MVP

Re: AMD is Investigating Black Screen Driver Issues on Radeon Cards

I guess it depends where you are.
Wher I am 2060 super is the same price as the cheapest RX5700XT. 
The lowest cost 2070 Super I can find is cheaper than the more expensive RX5700XT.

Given all the advantages of Nvidia GPUs I list above, I think they are better value than AMD GPUs.
Nvidia prices are so high because they do not have any real competition for years.
AMD AIB card quality and drivers have been bad since RX Vega. 
The RX5700XT has failed for the same reasons.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

It is likely that overclocking the HBM2 on Radeon 7 would improve it's performnce versus Nvidia. 
I have not seen any details onhow much the HBM2 can overclock on the Radeon VII.
RX Vega 64 Liquid can run at up to 1150MHz versus 945MHz stock.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

ATI was based in Canada, then AMD bought them.
ATI Technologies - Wikipedia 
Is that why their GPUs are cheaper in Canada than Nvidia cards?

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

devilzzz wrote:

It depends on where you live.  If you are in America then it is a whole different ball game than Canada and other parts of the world.  Please don't defend Nvidia's pricing practices lately.

I do not defend anyone but I am quick to criticise some predatory pricing such as older video cards priced at $2000 and other crap I see on Amazon ads especially. I have mentioned this to them many times and posted screenshot etc

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

colesdav wrote:

It is likely that overclocking the HBM2 on Radeon 7 would improve it's performnce versus Nvidia. 
I have not seen any details onhow much the HBM2 can overclock on the Radeon VII.
RX Vega 64 Liquid can run at up to 1150MHz versus 945MHz stock.

I am only comparing stock card vs stock card. Otherwise I would overclock my card to compensate.

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

colesdav wrote:

I guess it depends where you are.
Wher I am 2060 super is the same price as the cheapest RX5700XT. 
The lowest cost 2070 Super I can find is cheaper than the more expensive RX5700XT.

Given all the advantages of Nvidia GPUs I list above, I think they are better value than AMD GPUs.
Nvidia prices are so high because they do not have any real competition for years.
AMD AIB card quality and drivers have been bad since RX Vega. 
The RX5700XT has failed for the same reasons.

I have an EVGA RTX 2080 Black Edition which is slightly higher performance. I own a 4K panel so I was motivated to find a strong enough card. My RX 480 was starting to show signs of stress.

0 Likes
devilzzz
Adept II

Nvidia's prices are so high yes because of a lack of competition but also that bs with ray tracing that hardly works on any games.  Anyway I have kept following the AMD posts having them still sent to my email seeing people talking about their RX 5700 XTs and well after all the craziness in dealing with Amazon today I got my paid return paper to attach to the box and well also I finally though have all the parts for my new build.  As much as I have had trouble with the card I am going to give it one more go in my new rig which will have an i5 9600k, 16 GB of 3200 DDR4 and so on.  Since I tried to start the refund process I have not had issues with the card but I have only been playing WOW on max. LOL!  I wish I could afford an Nvidia offering that would help play games in 4K at the price the RX 5700 Xt is supposed to handle 4K and so hoping for the best when I try it again with some fairly new games.  Still glad to have the option to get a refund as I contacted and arranged things on my last day of being able to return the card.  Amazon (Canada) screwed things up so I still had it luckily to try with a new build before sending it back.   Anyway like others I have seen comment I hope new offerings in the future from AMD and Intel will give Nvidia a run for it's money.  Also going to be trying Windows 10 with the new pc.  Anyway it has been some time since I posted in this thread.  Finally I see mention of cards coming out in September is it from Nvidia and AMD?  What is the expected pricing for them?  I am in Canada so add basically 33% more in cost and 15% sales tax. LOL!

diegof1
Journeyman III

It also affects mobile integrated GPU where there isn't other option 

0 Likes
Soap1907
Journeyman III

Investigate for green screen on Browsers too.

0 Likes