Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

Re: AMD fires back at 'Super' NVIDIA with Radeon RX 5700 price cuts

Well they have obviously been taking plays from the competitors playbook recently. So now the company that long backed open standards is going proprietary should not be a shock. Guess the old saying of "can't beat them join them" applies.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Aye, I saw it when I looked at the Phoronix news this morning,

Something which is interesting in their forum discussion on the topic was this post

I'm not a programmer, so could one of you explain why this may be the case, or was he just talking out of his rear, he does only have 2 posts...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

colesdav wrote:

I really like the EVGA ICX technology - they added lots of sensors and MCU to monitor GPU Temps.

Sapphire and EVGA both have lots of sensors to alert the user before the card croaks.

EVGA accepts that a customer can apply new TIM and if that heals a card, it saves more than some klutz who cannot even do that right. EVGA will even send somebody thermal pads for the VRAM etc.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Nvidia GTC. You can register to see recorded session. I will be watching it.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

I took a look at the performance of Gigabyte RX590 REV2.0 (Ripoff version w/o backplate, RGB, DVI-D port).

The performance numbers are posted in AMD Red Team 3DMark Scoreboard here:

AMD Red Team 3DMark Scoreboard 

Repeated here for convenience. 

colesdav-Ryzen7 2700X-RX 590 -12 876-Firestrike
AMD Radeon RX 590 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 7 2700X,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG CROSSHAI... 

colesdav-Ryzen7 2700X-RX 590 -6 684-Firestrike Extreme
AMD Radeon RX 590 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 7 2700X,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG CROSSHAI... 

colesdav-Ryzen7 2700X-RX 590 -3 683-Firestrike Ultra

colesdav-Ryzen7 2700X-RX 590 -5 266-TimeSpy

colesdav-Ryzen7 2700X-RX 590 -2 268-TimeSpy Extreme

The GPU Power is reported as 150W in the Radeon Performance Overlay at times during 3DMark, during FurMark and other benchmarks.

PCIe connector takes another 75W making total power consumption of 225W.

A Palit  RTX2080 OC takes 220W maximum.

The RX590 has not crashed the PC yet, after 2 days of testing which is a novel experience.
I am running Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 GUI/UI + Adrenalin 2020 20.4.2 Driver.

The construction of the Gigabyte RX590 Rev 2.0 cooler shroud is flimsy.
It looks like there are 2 RGB headers on the PCB but they are not connected to any RGB strips.
The Gigabyte Logo and Fan Stop Logo are missing - you can see 3 screwholes where they were removed.
Gigabyte are so mean they even removed their own logo.
The GPU has no metal backplate - the rear of the PCB gets quite hot.
I think a cosmetic backplate with RGB lighting would hurt the GPU performance, as it would likely trap heat.
I could make a metal backplate for the GPU myself, but I do not have the time.

Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

the backplate does conduct heat but the effectiveness needs a IR camera to show it

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

I am about to find out if it does on the REV 1.0 version.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

RDNA2 is "on the way" according to this and other sites:
AMD RDNA2 Graphics cards set for release in September 2020 

RX5700XT Raise The Game Deal has been extended until the end of May 2020:
https://www.amd.com/en/gaming/raise-the-game

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Aye, and apparently AMD is going to have concurrent RDNA and RDNA2 cards, essentially doing what nVidia did by having a GTX and RTX line. Possibly it's going to mean that AMD is going to return to realistic prices, the RX 5700XT's replacement at $200, but you're going to lack ray tracing and other such features...

https://community.amd.com/thread/253273 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

The RX 5000 cards at present are mid range cards so the RDNA2 cards will likely fill in at the higher end of the market before replacing the mass market cards. AMD is lacking in the extreme video card segment.

0 Kudos