cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

AMD fires back at 'Super' NVIDIA with Radeon RX 5700 price cuts

MD unveiled its new Radeon RX 5700 line of graphics cards with 7nm chips at E3 last month, and with just days to go before they launch on July 7th, the company has announced new pricing. In the "spirit" of competition that it says is "heating up" in the graphics market -- specifically NVIDIA's "Super" new RTX cards -- all three versions of the graphics card will be cheaper than we thought.

The standard Radeon RX 5700 with 36 compute units and speeds of up to 1.7GHz was originally announced at $379, but will instead hit shelves at $349 -- the same price as NVIDIA's RTX 2060. The 5700 XT card that brings 40 compute units and up to 1.9GHz speed will be $50 cheaper than expected, launching at $399. The same goes for the 50th Anniversary with a slightly higher boost speed and stylish gold trim that will cost $449 instead of $499.

That's enough to keep them both cheaper than the $499 RTX 2070 Super -- we'll have to wait for the performance reviews to find out if it's enough to make sure they're still relevant.

AMD fires back at 'Super' NVIDIA with Radeon RX 5700 price cuts 

1,953 Replies

Numbering wrong & some formatting / errors, had to post before lose/locked out. - will edit later.
Done.

0 Likes

colesdav wrote:

Numbering wrong & some formatting / errors, had to post before lose/locked out. - will edit later.

My results with my R9 Fury show AMD has never tuned the miniport drivers very well for gaming. Most of the cards were bought by coin miners which is disappointing as the cards eventually are sold off to the gaming community.

I have looked at new cards but for a pile of franklins, how well is AMD going to tune the driver. My Polaris card seems to be fairly good at 4K with 8GB of GDDR5.

Most of the benchmarks I see are not as sophisticated as the testing I do. I went to university and studied statistics deeply.

0 Likes

First attempt at comparing PowerColor RX Vega 64 Liquid to PowerColor RX 5700XT Red Dragon in 3DMark.
https://community.amd.com/message/2981782 

0 Likes

It looks like the RX5700XT is getting returned.
The card cost 370 and was advertised with AMD Game Bundle Promotion.
Card was delivered.
I Spen ~ 1-2 days trying to get a stable driver combination and ran the 3DMark Tests.

The AMD Game Bundle Promotion codes advertised as woth 100  were supposed to turn up within 5 days of Ordering the GPU.
They didn't turn up.
I have been chasing them since the GPU arrived.

I get a message today saying "They are sorry but I have been adised by my manager that the promotion has ended. 

They pulled the codes from the advert for the GPU  just before I got that message.

Those AMD Game Bundle Promotion codes are still getting adverised on various vendor sites for various cards.

0 Likes

It looks like the RX5700XT is getting returned.
The card cost 370 and was advertised with AMD Game Bundle Promotion.
I double checked with their Sales Team that the codes were still o.k. - I even  referred them to the Terms and Conditions on AMD Rewards Site. 
Card was delivered.
I Spent ~ 1-2 days trying to get a stable driver combination and ran the 3DMark Tests.

The AMD Game Bundle Promotion codes advertised as worth 100 were supposed to turn up within 5 days of Ordering the GPU.
They didn't turn up.
I have been chasing them since the GPU arrived.

I get a message today saying "They are sorry but I have been advised by my manager that the promotion has ended." 

They pulled the codes from the advert for the GPU  just before I got that message.

Those AMD Game Bundle Promotion codes are still getting advertised on various vendor sites for various cards.

Given the above, my conclusion is the AMD Rewards Game Bundle is being used to sell the GPU's but not getting delivered. 

0 Likes

ignore the above post. Will delete when I can. 

0 Likes

Makes me even more glad I canceled my 2 5700XT orders and went with the 2070 Super. No free games and a higher price, but the only headache is due to Microsoft's stupid new rule about the nVidia Control Panel.

I have seen the stalling then the promotion pull situation reported here many times. I had the same issue when i bought my first Ryzen CPU. Promotion was still active. Showed the end date was a week out from my purchase then never got the code and they said sorry it is over. I had even verified with the retailer that the promotion is valid when I bought. On the flip side the merchant I bought from told me this was an AMD issue not the retailer but then gave me a credit on my purchase. So that made me happy. 

Unfortunately I have had just terrible luck getting the games AMD promises and at time purchasing when they have no promotions at all, but the prices are not lower either.  During the mining boom I got no game bundle and paid 2.5x the retail rate for my RX 580. 

black_zion wrote:

Makes me even more glad I canceled my 2 5700XT orders and went with the 2070 Super. No free games and a higher price, but the only headache is due to Microsoft's stupid new rule about the nVidia Control Panel.

I went for the RTX 2080 as I use a 4K panel, I needed as much TFLOPS as I could afford

0 Likes

I did advise you against the RX5700XT myself.
I did not want to go near it, but the person who wanted the build was "convinced" it would be O.K.
The dropped price of 370 and "Worth 100"  AMD Game Bundle was the deal swinger for them.
Not much good if it does not turn up.

Did you look at the 3DMark  performance results versus XFX RX Vega 64 Liquid I posted?

The 1080p DX11 Fire Strike and DX12 Time Spy Extreme results in 3DMark are very close indeed.

I will comment on the performance in more detail later.

0 Likes

I did, and it's not that unexpected. If only it were priced in line with the card it replaced in the hierarchy maybe it would have sold better...

There are a couple of positive things to report.

(1). From the little testing I have done on the RX5700XT, the combination of  Adrenalin 2019.12.1 GUI/UI + 20.5.1 driver seems ~ stable in BFV and 3DMark.

(2). Combination of  Adrenalin 2019.12.1 GUI/UI + 20.5.1 driver seems to have improved stability w.r.t. running BFV at 4K Ultra with Radeon Chill enabled and recording video with ReLive @ 1080p. I can now get through a full game w/o crashing.

0 Likes

colesdav wrote:

There are a couple of positive things to report.

(1). From the little testing I have done on the RX5700XT, the combination of  Adrenalin 2019.12.1 GUI/UI + 20.5.1 driver seems ~ stable in BFV and 3DMark.

(2). Combination of  Adrenalin 2019.12.1 GUI/UI + 20.5.1 driver seems to have improved stability w.r.t. running BFV at 4K Ultra with Radeon Chill enabled and recording video with ReLive @ 1080p. I can now get through a full game w/o crashing.

I found with windows 10 v 2004 that 20.5.1 is stable and seems to be problem free on my RX 480

0 Likes

Yes

If you mean replacement for RX480/580/RX590. 

They should have sold for 250-300 and forget the fake game code bundle.

The seller has a few hours left to deliver the game codes, or it's bye bye PowerColor Red Dragon RX5700XT. 

It is also time that legal action is taken and and consumer protection authorities are contacted about AMD and their "Game Bundle".

Enough is enough.

0 Likes

Drivers that worked may also have helped the RX5700XT.
If I had been stuck on Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 with that PowerColor RX 5700XT it would possibly have been ripped out of the PC in anger and smashed against a wall.

The amount of BSODs and Blackscreening was ridiculous with that driver.
Adrenalin 19.12.1 + 20.5.1 driver seems to be the first stable combination.

0 Likes

And the comedy continues.
The Etailer I purchsed the GPU from sent me Reward Codes for: 
"Raise The Game" Monster Hunter World IceBorne + Resident Evil 3.
The 3 month  Xbox Game Pass just before the deadline I gave saying I was going to retrun the GPU.

So now their work is done they sent me the codes, according to them.
I did not send the card back because the sent teh codes before the deadline. 

I reinstalled the PowerColor RX5700XT Red Dragon onto one of my PC.
I logged into AMD Rewards so I could get the Rewards claim started.

I downloaded the the Product verification tool.

Guess what happened?

Cannot detect an applicable product?

0 Likes

I get the following message from the AMD Product verification Tool for both codes:

System Check did not pass.
Coupon Code limit has been reached.
Contact Support for an increase to this limit.

I have not told the Etailer yet.

My prediction.

"It is not our problem we sent you the codes"

I just spent more time dealing with this nonsense today than the codes are worth.

I opened a support ticket with AMD Rewards here:
https://www.amdrewards.com/ 
regarding the game codes.

They replied really quickly, fixed the problem and I received the codes for the RX5700XT GPU.
I received codes for:

3 month XBOX Game Pass. 
Resident Evil 3.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne.

The working codes were under the following program:
https://www.amdrewards.com/terms 

Q2 2020 AMD Radeon™ SI Game Bundle Promotion

Rewards - Radeon SI Game Bundle Program  

So thanks to AMD Rewards Team, the RX5700XT is still in the new PC Build for now.

Think this is the first time the advertised value of $100 actually matched the value of the items!

0 Likes

Not sure if it is the first time. I have activated codes before that were ~ correct price.
It depends - sometimes game prices drop quickly after launch.

The 100 definitely does match the value of the items this time.
It was difficullt to get the codes from the Etailer, and they really did try to stop me getting the codes. 

Maybe I am so persistent, annoying, and try to stand up against bad practice,  they gave in.

AMD Rewards Team were great, very fast and efficient in getting the codes activated.

Maybe someone on the Forum helped me out.

So overall I managed to purchase this RX5700XT for 370 + 100 game bundle ~  270 overall provided you wanted all three items.

Now if you have my luck in a couple of months AMD will release the Navi Refresh where a card the power of the 5700XT will retail for $250, have ray tracing and other features, a free games bundle, and won't have the persistent driver issues Navi has

It's fine.
The RX5700XT is for a PC build for someone else, not me. 
I am aware that a refresh of better RX5700XT Navi cards might be out by the end of the year.
But I think the focus will be on launching Big Navi first. 

I really hope that AMD can use the improvements and work on Navi drivers for Big Navi so it does not take 10 months to get working BIOS and Drivers.
Hopefully they learn and can improve on AIB card quality assurance.
Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 GUI/UI and 20.5.1. are the best I have seen on RX Vega 64 Liquid so I appreciate the work for Vega card driver stability, even though it is 2y 10 months since launch. .

I am took some time today to look at the Compubench OpenCL  performance on the RX5700XT versus Vega64 Liquid and RX 590 on PCIe 3.0x8 Interface.
The RX5700XT made it through one run of Compubench before crashing and freezing the PC with Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 GUI/UI and 20.5.1. drivers so there is some work to be done there. It looks like I may have to underclock the card to keep it stable for compute tests.

The RX5700XT can run Local Tone Mapping, a test that will not run on RX Vega 64/56 Polaris, Fiji GPUs.
However it fails on Nbody Simulation.

I might get a chance to compare LuxMark, and I will be running some of my own OpenCL tests on Windows and a quick check to see if the card is even recognised in ROCm on latest version of Ubuntu.That is a stretch though.

Then the card will be gone, unless I get asked to do another build with an RX5700XT in it.

"Winner Winner Chicken Dinner" = RX Vega 64 Liquid.
https://community.amd.com/thread/254021 
It beats the RX5700XT overall when I look at OpenCL performance and real world 4K Gaming with the two titles included in the AMD Game Bundle - Monster Hunter World Iceborne and Resident Evil 3 at 4K.

colesdav wrote:

"Winner Winner Chicken Dinner" = RX Vega 64 Liquid.
RX Vega 64 Liquid vs RX5700XT 3DMark performance results. 
It beats the RX5700XT overall when I look at OpenCL performance and real world 4K Gaming with the two titles included in the AMD Game Bundle - Monster Hunter World Iceborne and Resident Evil 3 at 4K.

what kind of clock speeds does your Vega 64 reach?

0 Likes

Please see the data in the 3DMark Benchmark scores.

0 Likes

Glad they got it resolved quickly. That is a sign they are doing much better in that regard. 

The situation with the AMD Game Bundles from Etailers is terrible.
I spent at least 5 hours chasing them up.
They really tried to avoid delivering the codes.
I had to be very persistent and seriously threaten to return the GPU.
Once I did manage to win the fight to get the codes I bought, they did not work.

The AMD Rewards Team saved the day for me, once I opened a support call.
However I am on this Forum, and it may be that someone helped to expedite the case for me.
If they did, then thanks, but I am not sure everyone would be so lucky.

I managed to complete some Blender runs.
The RX Vega 64 Liquid is about 2.2.x faster than the RX5700XT in Blender 2.83.
More details will go up here:
https://community.amd.com/thread/254021

0 Likes

The RX5700XT is gone and I have fitted a Gigabyte RX590 Rev 1.0 that cost 180 to test Blender Performance with same PCIe slot and slot settings and driver version.

0 Likes

colesdav wrote:

The RX5700XT is gone and I have fitted a Gigabyte RX590 Rev 1.0 that cost 180 to test Blender Performance with same PCIe slot and slot settings and driver version.

Have you officially balked at the RX 5700 XT?

0 Likes

No.

0 Likes

colesdav wrote:

No.

I wonder if anyone has benchmarked blender properly yet? Blender does not hit the radar much.

0 Likes

I absolutely agree. I wish they would all stop these stupid expiring promotions. I love the one MSI is doing now where you just get money to use in the Steam store. Something like that on a scratch off that does not expire included in the box with no crappy registration to use it would IMHO be the best way to go.

0 Likes

I benchmarked it properly on the RX5700XT versus RX Vega 64 Liquid.

I ran the entire Blender test suite.
I also ran my own tests which are of the complexity of "Victor" and above.

0 Likes

I would prefer AMD just lowered the price of their RX5700XT GPUs.
That PowerColor RX 5700XT Red Dragon was generally selling for 450-460 with the Game Bundle which is worth 100, provided you wanted all the games. 
It dropped down to 370 very recently, near the end of the AMD Game Bundle Promotion.

Please note the GPU itself is very well built, and AMD seem to be almost there w.r.t. stability with Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 GUI + Adrenalin 20.5.1 Drivers.
I had no black screening or crashing when gaming using that driver combination during my limited time for testing.
I only had problems with OpenCL Compubench crashing with that driver combination. 

I think PowerColor did a really good job with the card itself - I have some pictures I took which I should post.
It would have been good if they had an RGB logo and added the FuryX & Vega 64 style GPU Tach LEDs.

I think that the RX5700XT in 40mm slot couild really do with an AIO cooler though, but that would push the cost up further.

Frame Rate Stuttering on Forza 4 Horizon is very bad. I deliberately tested that XBOX Game Pass Title as it is highly optimized for AMD GPUs.
I expected the RX5700XT to perform far better than the RX Vega 64 Liquid in that game.
It needs fixing. I will file an AMD Reporting form about it.

0 Likes

One big mistake AMD have made is not adding HBCC on RX5700XT since games like Resident Evil 3 and Monster Hunter World: Iceborne can take > 8GB at 4K.
In addition, HBCC support and working on Blender is needed.

colesdav wrote:

One big mistake AMD have made is not adding HBCC on RX5700XT since games like Resident Evil 3 and Monster Hunter World: Iceborne can take > 8GB at 4K.
In addition, HBCC support and working on Blender is needed.

I have seen several 64-bit games push VRAM aggressively on my RX 480 which is why I went for the 8GB version., My RTX is also 8GB and I am sticking with my belief that 16GB cards are coming soon simply because of the demands from games.

Some 11GB and 12GB card uses I know tell me even their cards VRAM can be soaked up with recent titles.

This adds weight to considering a 16GB card if not a 24GB card.

0 Likes

colesdav wrote:

Asus new RX5700XT TUF model review:
The TUF 5700 XT EVO Test, Asus TUF Gaming X3 RX 5700 XT EVO Review - YouTube 

It looks like ASUS have done much work to fix the original TUF model, which is no longer in production - it had very high GDDR6 memory temperatures.

The new model has 2 slightly larger fans and the fan models have higher air pressure output.
They added some thermal pads to GDDR6 chips to connect them to the GPU backplate so it acts as a heatsink.
ASUS redesigned the Heatsink - it is larger and 31% heavier.
They also have direct contact of GDDR6 memory to the heatsink and abandoned the small inadequate GDDR6 heatspreader used on the first revision of the design. 

It performs the same as the original model. 
The Operating temperatures are much improved than the original, although it does have to run at faster fan speeds than premium RX5700XT models.

Overall good news for people considering a new ASUS RX5700XT TUF EVO.
Not so good for people who purchsed the original ASUS RX5700XT TUF model.
I think ASUS should have done a product recall for the ASUS RX5700XT TUF and replace it with a new  ASUS RX5700XT TUF EVO for free.

Usually a class action is needed to force a recall of a product.

I abandoned Asus as crap years ago and when I see flakey video cards it tells me their problems are pervasive.

0 Likes

Nvidia GTC. You can register to see recorded session. I will be watching it.