Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

Re: AMD fires back at 'Super' NVIDIA with Radeon RX 5700 price cuts

AMD has not put much focus on graphics for several years. All the development has been with the CPU which has been very successful at taking market share from Intel. AMD has lost market share to rival nVidia.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Sure, I think I understand the back story to it all.
For me EOL = when the card is no longer manufactured, because once that happens, the focus is on other GPUs.
I do think retail sites should put EOL notice on them and drop prices though.
I just looked around today and there are some good condition used Radeon VII selling second hand for 300-400. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Never thought about doing it, but I did it tonight. There's an actual JEDEC standard for product discontinuance,J-STD-048. Companies issue EOL and LOD notices all the time, but the consumer rarely sees them unless they're pointed out in a tech site review, most recently exemplified by the fact that Intel, for whatever reason, has reascended the EOL notification for a certain garbage 22nm Haswell chip.

Would be nice if companies were required by law to list on product pages the last dates of mainstream support and extended support on the first date of sale, much like Microsoft dues, so consumers are better informed.

https://www.jedec.org/standards-documents/docs/j-std-048

Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

now that is a standard that has been ignored widely by the tech sector

this has to do mostly due to demand in the market place which is very transient

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Yea, they came online last night. Not going to download it for a while though, most of the features aren't applicable to pre-Polaris cards, so little reason to use them for me.

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2019/12/10/change-the-way-you-game-with-amd-radeon-s... 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

The user interface is a mess in my opinion. I filed an AMD Reporting form about it. 
One advantage AMD had over Nvidia was the Adrenalin GUI and the Radeon Overlay. 
Now it looks like the old Raptr AMD Gaming Evolved Team is back designing the GUI. 
FRTC has been removed so it is very likely Chill will completely break FreeSync now.
Hialgo Boost has been implemented for Vega. 
However the Driver GUI settings is such a mess I can't  be bothered to try it out. 
I am sticking to Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

I've always disliked AMD's GUI, I think it's unnecessarily clunky and lacking in basic options, such as being able to prevent creation of game profiles, as well as the inability to provide accurate basic information about your GPU, causing confusion among those not technically inclined and requiring the use of other programs, such as GPUz. I also dislike the very small level of control AMD gives compared to nVidia, and the fact they seem to be focusing on what could be described as niche features, such as AMD Link and now some integrated web browser in the overlay, instead of focusing resources on performance improvements for all "supported" GPUs and extending feature support to all "supported" GPUs instead of just the most current.

Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

I never force games with a driver profile, I use in game settings case by case so that each is optimal

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

RE: being able to prevent creation of game profiles
That does not bother me too much if there were only a few games in my library but I agree that option was needed to allow the user to prevent auto creation or group games under tabs or search for games in more locations rather than the C: drive etc.

RE: the inability to provide accurate basic information about your GPU
Agreed that needed / needs more work. I have seen incorrect amount of VRAM used, ridiculously high GPU frequencies reported etc on Vega GPUs at least, however things seemed to be getting better. The one that has me stumped ts why CPU utilization reporting for AMD Ryzen processors is broken again, after getting fixed. The CPU utilization report has consistently worked on Intel processors. 

RE: I also dislike the very small level of control AMD gives compared to nVidia
I use Nvidia control panel, and I can think of some cases where they offer more options such as Dynamic Super Resolution settings versus Virtual Super Resolution with AMD. I think the Nvidia Control Panel GUI needs work to modernise it so it can work better at 2K and 4K resolution, and it is unresponsive / slow to respond at times. I think Nvidia GeForce ecperience is o.k.

RE: and the fact they seem to be focusing on what could be described as niche features, such as AMD Link and now some integrated web browser in the overlay
AMD Link has one use for me. To report GPU stats if the Radeon Performance Overlay is broken or does not work on a particular game.
I tired using a smartphone as a game controller to run BF1 and BFV just to see how it worked. Unplayable.
I do not know why this new integrated web browser is needed either. Basic things like cut/ copy/ paste with mouse and menu do not work. I do not know how the browser security is set, if such an option even exists.

RE:   instead of focusing resources on performance improvements for all "supported" GPUs and extending feature support to all "supported" GPUs instead of just the most current.

Absolutely.
I think the way AMD Vega users had to protest to get Radeon Image Sharpening into RX Vega GPUs and the fact that it is still not supported on earlier top of the range AMD cards such as R9 FuryX/Nano/Fury or R9 390X or R9 290X is ridiculous.

Nvidia Game Filter is supported on cards all the way down to GTX780Ti Kepler based cards. 

The entire focus has been on RX480/580/590/RX5700/XT.

I better post this now. I am running Adrenalin 2020 19.12.2 driver on a powercolor RX Vega 56 Red Dragon GPU and the screen is intermittently blacking out.

0 Kudos