cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

cbrookej
Adept I

AMD and Linux

Searching for information on Linux I found a statement that Linux Mint is only compatible with Intel processors.  Which versions of Linux are compatible with AMD processors?

21 Replies
kingfish
MVP

Re: AMD and Linux

Here is the Linux forum...maybe some answers there > Linux

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

I have used Ubuntu which is the most popular distribution

0 Likes
Eydee
Adept I

That's false information. Linux is compatible with all x86 (Intel, AMD) processors and much more, even ARM and some rare types. You can install Linux Mint on almost any PC, a P4 from 15 years ago or one built yesterday, it'll all work fine.

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

Mint is not the most widely used distribution, which is why I mention Ubuntu who has a rich backer that made sure it would be maintained

0 Likes
cbrookej
Adept I

I checked your Linux hyperlink.  All I found were discussions of very specific problems, which did not mean much to this nongeek.  I have not understood most of what I have found on this forum.

It appears that using Linux with AMD processors leads to lots of problems.  Is Linux with AMD something which is simply not feasible for nongeeks?

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

I am a non-geek myself...understand nothing about Linux I put that link there to suggest the OP post his question there.

0 Likes
cbrookej
Adept I

I am concerned about learning Linux.  I am 72 yo and my learning curve is flatter than it once was.  I am looking for the easiest way to make the transition.

I was told that Mint with the Cinnamon UI is the most similar to W7, and would be the easiest version for me to learn.  Do any of you have an opinion on this?

Also, Kingfish, I replied to your note above.

BTW, I have not replied previously because I could not figure out how to.  Today, for the first time, the boxes have Reply buttons, not present previously, along with the two other items in the right lower corner.  If anyone knows what I did differently today to get the Reply buttons, please tell me.

0 Likes
cbrookej
Adept I

PS:  Does anyone know of a paid support service for any version of Ubuntu?

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

best bet for Ubuntu is their popular forum

Ubuntu Forums

0 Likes