cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

quadrifoglio
Adept I
Adept I

Re: Always supported AMD.... until now? Why would AMD NOT support Win7 with their new RYZEN CPUs? BIG misstake

I took the screenshot from an enterprise version. I can't 100% guarantee for the home edition (I have only professionnal and enterprise) but I think it's available too :

Feedback, diagnostics, and privacy in Windows 10

0 Kudos
pillze
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: Always supported AMD.... until now? Why would AMD NOT support Win7 with their new RYZEN CPUs? BIG misstake

i agree.  windows 10 is spyware, and death.   good luck on windows 10.  i dont even want dx 12 is horrendous too.  i mean netflix is canceled cause of kabylake upgrade.  amd kinda needs fans, please!!!! help us to help you AMD!!!!

0 Kudos
colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

For those who decide they do not want to use Windows 10 as their main OS, I thought this looked interesting.

It might be a potential solution in future if Ryzen will run on Debian Linux in future.  Robolinux is PC Compatible

It is a Linux distribution that is set up to run Windows 10 in a virtual machine.

There is a video here: The NEW Robolinux Xfce 3D 8.7 Raptor runs Windows Virus Free! - YouTube
I have contacted them to find out if it can block Windows 10 telemetry completely when windows 10 is run as a virtual machine inside it.

###Update. I started to do some prep work to install and try Robolinux out and initially purchase Windows 7 and Windows 10 licences.

### I double checked the Windows 10 license agreement before proceeding any further.
###From my understanding of it, I think anything that  would deliberately stop Windows 10 telemetry whuld violate the Windows 10 license agreement.
###Therefore Robolinux must be allowing Windows 10 telemetry to proceed according to the settings inside Winddows 10 environment.

It looks really easy to set up and use, installation looks similar to Fedora/Ubuntu. Which I an really familiar with and is very easy.

I am about to try it out.

###Update - I decided not to as it must still allow Windows 10 telemetry to comply with the license agreement.
###My misunderstanding. It does look like a great product if you are fine with the Windows 10 telemetry and want to be able to run windows within linux though.

It could be handy if you want to run older versions of Windows.

Pretty likely you would have to run your games on the main Linux OS though.

Does anyone else on on the forum have experience using Robolinux?

I will raise a support ticket with Microsoft to address my concerns, and get some clarification from Microsoft directly about license versions etc.

Like I said I don't really want to drop using Windows as my main OS.

###Update I will do this next anyhow, as I have said I have used Microsoft for years and dont want to move away from it as main OS.

0 Kudos
colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

1. Yes I understand all all that you say about nothing is likely to go wrong if everything is perfect in the system but life isn't like that at all in my experience.

2. RE: When you'll have enough of Linux, I recommend you to give a try to the "Aniversary Edition" + updates.
I completed the  "free upgrade" at the last possible moment on all of the Windows PC/Laptops I own initially.

I made sure I did full system images first.
I  just wanted to get the install done so that my Windows licenses were, I guess, "marked" somehow as having been upgraded.
I then blew away the Windows 10 Upgrade on most of my machines. back to their original Windows 7 and 8.1. disk Images.
I did not rely on the "Roll Back to Windows 7/8.1" and it is just as well I didn't. It failed in a couple of my machines for sure.

Two machines were stuck  as Windows 10 OS after the rollback attempt. I wiped their hard drives and restored the original drive images.

I left a few on machines on Windows 10.

The Anniversary Update happened shortly afterwards.

I am well aware of it and that's the version I had the problems with using. Including booting up after update to find all my privacy settings to "absolutely none".

3. That takes me back to my point 1 above. The fact those settings are still in the OS means they can, in principle,  get reset to "no privacy", which means there is no point in having them in the first place.

The diagram showing the problems with running and installing Linux is really exaggerated for today's Linux Distro's I use.  
Installing Linux and Ubuntu is really user friendly.
The problem with moving to using Linux as a primary OS full time is mostly the fact that the majority of people run Windows and therefore most commercial software is for Windows, including games.There are some really good Open Source 'Office' packages available on Linux and there are an increasing number of games that run on Linux on Steam.
Last time I installed the AMD Drivers they were o.k. on my machine. Mail software is good and easy to set up now as well.

colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

Since I know everyone is busy, and may not have been able to take the time to click on the links to the Robolinux page or with the video.
I decided to take a few screenshots.
I forgot to mention that the Fedora KDE Desktop on the Fedora Spin I use doesn't just have multiple desktops, it has 3D desktops.
Robolinux have implemented a similar thing.

If you are unfamiliar with Linux and think it is just a console based ancient looking OS then have a look at this:

3D Cube Desktop.
pastedImage_0.png

You can rotate the view of the desktops.

pastedImage_1.png

Similarly 3D Cylinder.

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos
colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

Here is where it gets interesting.

If you watch the video, they show how easy it is to install and launch Window 7, XP and 10 from within the RoboLinux environment.

Launching Windows 7.
pastedImage_0.png

Microsoft Office running Windows 7.

pastedImage_1.png

Launching Windows XP.

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos
colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

Finally the one we may all be waiting for Windows 10 Cube.

pastedImage_0.png

And Windows 10 Desktop View.

pastedImage_1.png

###Update - from my understanding of reading the Windows 10 License agreement, Robolinux must still allow Windows 10 Telemetry data through.

Obviously you would be running on Virtual Machine and there would be / could be a significant performance hit.

But from what I read, Ryzen has plenty of horsepower and threads to throw at it

0 Kudos
seven7
Adept I
Adept I

It was  the "Aniversary Edition" update that broke a friend's PC.  Unacceptable!

janagewen
Challenger
Challenger

Those O/S are running under the virtualised environment, the performance could never be expected too much, especially most functions of Windows are realised with the hardware acceleration. But thanks to the virtualisation technology, maybe one day those hardware accelerate could be realised under hypervisor, then that would leave the motherboard designers much room to develop a special firmware to enable those future processors to support legacy O/S at many levels.

colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes understood.

Anyhow I stopped looking at using Robolinux with Windows 10 or Windows 7 at all.   I will add additional comments an reply to the main poster but I will discuss it here to you as well.

I got as far as downloading the Robolinux ISO and I also did some preparation. I completed some driver installation and Windows Updates, then started a System Image Backup of an existing Windows 7 hard drive so I could install my data with Windows 7 under RoboLinux. I started to shop for somewhere I could get Windows 7 licenses. Microsoft do not sell them any more to consumers as far as I can tell. Neither does my local PC store. I didn't look for them any further as my real objective was to run Windows 10

I then decided to look at purchasing a new Windows 10 License. The Licence agreement is here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm
As far as I can see based on the License Agreement,  by accepting the license you are legally agreeing to allow Microsoft to the use of telemetry data.

I think that any attempt to prevent telemetry above and beyond the settings given by Microsoft would be a violation of the above license agreement.

I do not want to do that obviously.

Robolinux looks like a good Linux solution, based on the youtube presentation and clearly it would enable you to move to linux as your main OS and have Windows 7/8.1/10 as a secondary OS, provided you purchase a valid license from Microsoft. Running Windows 10 under Robolinux would be a performance hit.

However as far as I read it, if running Windows 10 in the Robolinux environment did anything to block Windows 10 telemetry, then it would be a violation of the Windows 10 License agreement.

So I think you either accept the use of telemetry in Windows 10 or you choose an alternative linux only OS.

I am not looking into this any further.
It looks like if I really want to have a solution without telemetry then Linux is my only option for an OS moving forward.

0 Kudos