cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

muce
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: Always supported AMD.... until now? Why would AMD NOT support Win7 with their new RYZEN CPUs? BIG misstake

Same I feel when mobos started to not giving support to winXP..

0 Kudos
quadrifoglio
Adept I
Adept I

Re: Always supported AMD.... until now? Why would AMD NOT support Win7 with their new RYZEN CPUs? BIG misstake

Telemetry data gives the ability to software engineers to better understands performance and/or stability issues by providing the "context" in which these occured. Is extremely valuable and that's why I think the MS engineers decided to impose at least a "basic" level of diagnostic data.

I told you that by using this setting to "Basic" you are extremely fine with your privacy. You can control and adjust this setting.

Also, modern software uses techniques like "secure strings", ex: SecureString Class (System.Security) that almost prevents (minimise the probability) that sensitive data like password to persist in memory and to be harvested from a memory dump. That applies to Microsoft Edge, Office and a lot of other recent software.

So, even in the case you stay with the "Full" setting, the probabilty that you are sending a password with the memory dump you send over the internet is extremely low. Even in that case, the channel is secured and on the other end you have normal people that use that data for diagnostics.

Related to forced updates, it had been imposed in order minimise security flaws exposure by forcing users to always stay update and have security fix delivered quickly. I admit it can be a little frustrating but this is a tradeoff in order to make sure that lambda users will stay up to date and secure.

When you'll have enough of Linux, I recommend you to give a try to the "Aniversary Edition" + updates

Cheers,

0 Kudos
colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

I was looking to see if i could actually purchase a version of Windows 10, just like I could in in the past for Windows 8.1 and Windows 7, that was 100% guaranteed not to have any telemetry in it at all. Preferably verified by an independent organisation. Privacy is something that I value. I am finding it difficult to work out if there is a Windows 10 Version for Small Business / Personal use that is not "for free". I cannot find that version.

I started to look at the Windows 10 Enterprise Version. I was able to download an evaluation version. I was about to install it but then I read that the Windows 10 Enterprise version is only sold to large Corporations in Volume Licensing. So really it seems pointless for me, a small "ant" in comparison to a large Corporation

to even look at the Windows 10 Enterprise version. I cant buy licenses in volume.

If it is true that Windows 10 Enterprise can be configured to 100% turn off all telemetry, but there is no version for the consumer that can do this I am totally confused about this licensing model and the logic in this.

Why is telemetry somthing that a large Corporation wishes to have 100% turned off?

Why would a large Corporation need the option to turn off telemetry but I do not?

Thanks.

kingfish
Esteemed Contributor III

Spying is only one of the big issues I have with Win10...another issue that is at the top of the list is, sponging off my internet bandwith to update other suckers.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2955288/microsoft-windows/windows-10-commandeers-users-upload-b...

black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

I'd say at the very top of the list is the numerous Windows 10 updates which result in borked systems, and since Microsoft made all updates cumulative (and required), you can't pick out the bad one, you have to take them all. In all the years of 7 and 8.1 there were only a couple of those, while Windows 10 has had many times that in under 2 years, despite their supposed "Fast Ring" network of thousands of beta testers.

Privacy issues can be dealt with with free third party programs, turning your machine into a Windows Update Network contributor can be disabled as well, but using Windows 10 is very much like Russian Roulette, you don't know when it will happen, only that it will. With Windows 7 and 8.1, you don't have to worry about that.

For a long time Windows was the middle ground, Apple was the full on "You will do what we say and pay for it", Linux was the full on custom experience but you needed several thick books, a d20, and refracted rays of Saturn in your toolbox, while Windows gave you a bit of customization ability, not as much as Linux, but it protected you from really screwing things up, and like an Apple things just worked (Starting with Windows 2000 that is, 95 and 98 were a crapshoot, change one thing and reinstallation was in your future). Windows 10 takes the most evil features of Apple (the attitude of we know better than you do, the mandatory updates, and the information gathering) while bringing back the potential instability of Windows 9x, while removing customization, including a big fat OFF switch for Cortana and data submission, and, of course, the update situation.

colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks kingfish for pointing me to that one.
Much appreciated.

0 Kudos
colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

Since it really does look like I am going to have to go linux full time then,  can you tell me what a d20 is and how I get refracted rays of Saturn?
;-).

I am trying to laugh because I know I am going to have to have to drop Windows 7 & 8.1 soon and I have been hoping that a large number of Windows Users will somehow stop and think about what is happening with Windows 10 OS and Privacy etc. I was hoping that at least Microsoft would provide a payed for consumer license without telemetry.

Whilst I do know linux quite well in terms of programming and command line etc andI do keep 3 different flavours Ubuntu, Fedora, and RedHat(Centos)  patched and running  I am definitely not a Linux System Admin expert.

Mind you I was thinking of learning how to set up up my own Mail Server, but something has put me off that idea in the past year.

0 Kudos
black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

You only try this once - adventures in Play-Doh

Windows

Apple

Linux

colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

Great!

Windows:  I have definitely done Step 1 and Step 2 I have always run full weekly backup on Windows.
Never lost all my files but certainly lost around a weeks work after bad Windows Update patches,

Apple: Never owned one.
I have gone into an Apple Store a few times. I always follow Star Trek Federation procedure for teleporting into a Borg Cube.

I try to stay as far away from anything in a blue shirt just in case they identify me as a Windows/Linux user and try to assimilate me into the
collective. Did speak to one once. Told them that Windows PC/Laptops were far better value and more powerful.
Another four turned up and I decided it was best to get Scotty to beam me out of there, like yesterday.

Linux. Yup. Totally understand that. Even designed part of a microprocessor/microcontroller IC.
I am sitting in my "home office" right now surrounded by 4 PC's with whirring fans.
Thanks I just realised it's time to have a shave and a shower ... oh no.

kingfish
Esteemed Contributor III

And this is from the "free" Home version?

0 Kudos