cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

ugabuga
Adept I
Adept I

Always supported AMD.... until now? Why would AMD NOT support Win7 with their new RYZEN CPUs? BIG misstake

For real... everyone knows windows 10 is the worst..There are still so many people using windows 7 including myself (+ Linux on multi-boot)

Ever since Win 8 Microsoft has been out of control with their spying and shoving their junk down consumers throats.

This is the time and the place where we all put our foot down... STOP buying and supporting this nonsense and it will go away.

We as a consumers have the combined power to put an end to this. Continue using Win7 and do NOT buy hardware that do NOT support it.

44 Replies
janagewen
Challenger
Challenger

Re: Always supported AMD.... until now? Why would AMD NOT support Win7 with their new RYZEN CPUs? BIG misstake

Windows 7 is good, at least, it is all the time better than Windows Vista, which once left me a very sad view of computer system, for its negative energy colour type, and poor performance, unreachable requirements put onto then popular hardware configurations and so forth. But I could say that I love Windows 10, from all the aspect, this OS is better than ever before, for its stability and performance, even though its modern user experience has gone away.

The fact is not AMD Ryzen does not support Windows 7, but to the opposite, Microsoft does not provide support for those processors with Windows 7. But that should never be a case, because for this situation, there would leave much room for OEM manufacturers. They could extend the current firmware, design some a special hyper visor, like found on IBM P Series Server, let those once popular O/S running within this container, rather than working barely on the Ryzen based machine would bring up another challenge towards motherboard vendors too. I love this kind of situation, and I love computer system entering into even modern than the passed!

0 Kudos
ugabuga
Adept I
Adept I

Re: Always supported AMD.... until now? Why would AMD NOT support Win7 with their new RYZEN CPUs? BIG misstake

I respect your opinion, you have a right to one. it is what it is. We all have "reasons" and "motivations" for our opinions. When you have a spare moment please go to a place like BestBuy or any other major computer outlet. Have a stroll around the laptop or PC isle and just observe how many units have a blue-screen or some type of a error message displaying on it. I have encountered at least one or two units per visit. I realize that they are exposed to more people messing with the units but this should not matter for a "GOOD" OS right? As to the argument that it is Microsoft that is responsible for support. It is like saying you are responsible today for actions that you will do tomorrow. There is no way that Microsoft could of foresee the creation of a new hardware 5-10 years in the future. Where as AMD is aware of Win7 and therefore should provide sufficient supporter for it. To me it is common-sense.

black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

AMD doesn't make Windows. Microsoft has declined to add Intel Kaby Lake and AMD Ryzen, as well as all future processors from both companies, as supported for Windows 7 and 8.1. Please post your complaints to the correct party: Microsoft Support Community

ugabuga
Adept I
Adept I

My post is NOT intended as a complaint per say. It is but a opinion and as such should be looked at for what it is. There is nothing personal.

Everyone must express their opinions for we all have the right to one. Just because my opinion defers from yours it does not make it right or wrong.

It just is what it is. For me sharing and expressing opinions in a FREE and democratic society is a RIGHT not a privilege.

Once again, this is my own opinion, but It would appear that what it boils down to is a matter of MONEY. Isn't it always about the money?

It does take time and money for AMD to hire programmers to write proper drivers. All the documentations and of course (time=money.) more delays

to release and sell CPUs not to mention added pressure from Intel.

For me this "was" the most anticipated hardware release ever, but now it's just another disappointment.

0 Kudos
ryzenwindows7
Adept I
Adept I

100 % agree, AMD please listen to the users !!!

ryzenwindows7
Adept I
Adept I

Kaby Lake will run windows 7, see the Anandtech review. AMD can pressure Microsoft back to allow them to provide support if that's what's going on, which I'm not saying it is. Also as per this article AMD made a decision themselves not to continue driver development, so it's more of a 50/50 share between the 2:

AMD confirms there will be no Ryzen drivers for Windows 7 | PC Gamer

Per article:

"As new silicon generations are introduced, they will require the latest Windows platform at that time for support," Microsoft said last August. "This enables us to focus on deep integration between Windows and the silicon, while maintaining maximum reliability and compatibility with previous generations of platform and silicon."

Whether that's really the case is up for debate. AMD did test Ryzen on Windows 7 where it presumably booted up just fine, but there might have been some features that didn't work as anticipated."

< 50%

cusa123
Adept I
Adept I

Talking about operating systems, we will have Linux support in the output of Ryzen?. And that system recommended in linux. Can give some kind of information or at least know if AMD has designed a statement shortly before the departure of Ryzen?.

---------------------------

Hablando de sistemas operativos, tendremos soporte linux en la salida de Ryzen?. Y que sistema recomienda en linux. Pueden dar algun tipo de informacion o al menos saber si amd tiene pensado sacar algun comunicado en breve, antes de la salida de Ryzen?

0 Kudos
black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

Linus released Linux 4.1 with near full support for Ryzen, the only things which are lacking have to do with server features, Ubuntu and other home editions should be good to go if they update their versions in time.

Linux 4.10 Is Hopefully In Good Shape For AMD Zen / Ryzen Processors - Phoronix

quadrifoglio
Adept I
Adept I

It's Microsoft decision. Windows 7 is ended, they are only providing bare minimum technical support.

As for Windows 10, I had all Windows versions, since 3.1 and I can tell you it's the best version I had. You should give a try to the "anniversary edition".