cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

ADVISORY: Microsoft including tracking updates for Windows 7 & 8.1

Microsoft slips user-tracking tools into Windows 7, 8 amidst Windows 10 privacy storm | PCWorld

All eyes on you

Ghacks discovered four recent KB updates for Windows 7 and 8, all designed to send Microsoft regular reports on your machine’s activities.

• KB3068708 – “This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices. By applying this service, you can add benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights.” This update replaced KB3022345.
  • KB3075249 – “This update adds telemetry points to the User Account Control (UAC) feature to collect information on elevations that come from low integrity levels.”
  • KB3080149 – “This package updates the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices. This service provides benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights.”
6 Replies
backFireX64
Forerunner

Re: ADVISORY: Microsoft including tracking updates for Windows 7 & 8.1

Why am i not surprised here ?

Look at it this way. You now have that ever elusive reason to finally make that o.s. "upgrade" you always wanted deep down in your heart... Oh Microsoft... how you spoil us.

Nice info black_zion 

kingfish
MVP

The files needed to install Windows 10 are being automatically downloaded to Windows 7 and 8.1 users by Windows Update—even if users have no intention of upgrading.

Windows 10 is Being Auto-Downloaded to Windows 7 and 8.1 Users

Yup. WARNING: ALL Windows 7 & 8.1 users disable Automatic Updates NOW!​ My ISP's forum is full of people complaining about it too. Some people have plans as low as 5GB per month (I have 10GB, max is 20GB) and the Windows 10 files can exceed that by 20%. I have had my updates set to Check Only forever. I'd rather wait a few days and see if any of the patches will cause more problems than they fix first.

0 Likes
blazek
Miniboss

There is actually tools out there to disable some of the tracking in Win 7/8/10

kingfish
MVP

blazek
Miniboss

Thanks, I didn't know we are allowed to post links to 3rd party software I've replied to the thread with another tool

Hopefully it helps for the individuals who are concerned for their privacy.

0 Likes