cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

CapticeTrice
Adept I

Adrenaline 23.2.2 update, 7900XT and no BIOS post.

Help me figure this out.
Before update 23.2.2 everything was working fine on 22.8.12.
I could turn it on and off, leave it for hours at a time, play everything at ultra for hours (last games were the forgetable refundable Forspoken, Hogwarts Legacy and Sons of the Forest) and not experience a gpu related crash.
Today I had updated to Adrenaline 23.2.2 and left the pc on while i had a paused youtube video for a 2 hour nap.
When I woke up, the pc was off and switching it on wouldn't even post, no beeps. 
Tried to restart several times and still no beeps.
I was about to remove my battery and try resetting cmos pins but I had thought to remove the video card only and power it on.
I got a post beep.
I then switched pc off and reconnected the video card and turned it on and now everything works (for now?). 
What I can't figure out is why would it not post when the card is attached and would this have anything to do with the driver update?

Specs.
Motherboard: Asus TUF z390-Plus Gaming (bios 3006).
CPU: Intel 9th Generation i9 9900K.
Ram: 32GB (2x 16GB) G-skill 3200ghz.
PSU: Corsair 1000W Gold.
GPU: Powercolor AMD RX 7900XT 20GB.

0 Likes
12 Replies
Keef00
Journeyman III

i am having same issue with my brand new card no bios and runs like absolute dog water im sending my card back for warranty and praying thats it 

0 Likes

It happened again and instead of reaching for the power button on the case, I switched it off from the PSU for 5 minutes and switched it back on...

I feel like I'm being set up to be roasted for "did you turn it off and on again?"

But for real this is not normal behaviour.

0 Likes
Gagabuba
Adept II

Using ASUS B550-Plus Wifi2, paired with 5600x and 6900xt I built 4 months ago. I don't understand HOW. I am using 6900XT and two days ago I downloaded the accursed gpu driver update known as 23.2.2. Yesterday was ok, but today, I get a crash every 15 minutes and strangely the pc stays closed, doesn't reboot, I dont even get a black screen it's a sudden RANDOM instant shutdown. If I turn on the pc after the crash, sometimes it will crash again after five seconds, right before image comes up on post logo, then it takes itself to safe mode and strangely I don't get crashes when I'm on windows safe mode nor Bios screen.

So I checked here and sighed a relief that it was driver related. Downloaded DDU and uninstalled 23.2.2 on safe mode. Downloaded 22.11.2 again and installed it, suddenly it crashed again while installing, so I DDU'd on safe mode again and installed 22.11.2. Restarted and everything was going fine. Gave the gpu a 5 minute stress test just to make sure, no crashes, cool. Then again, I get a random crash while I'm scrolling Adrenaline options(didn't even change anything), ON 22.11.2.

22.11.2 was working properly last day but after updating to 23.2.2, after crashes uninstalling it, and reinstalling 22.11.2, I'm still getting crashes. Can someone please help me? I'm going to try even older ones and hopefully come back with results...

Update: Now sometimes my PC doesn't boot at all after pressing the power button. I am desperately in need of a fix, computer keeps randomly crashing. I DDU'd and reinstalled 22.11.2 but still I'm constantly crashing!

0 Likes
Gagabuba
Adept II

I don't know if our problems could be related but here we go... -This is a deleted post of mine from a week ago, update part is recent...

Using B550-Plus Wifi2, paired with 5600x and 6900xt I built 4 months ago. I am using 6900XT and two days ago I downloaded the gpu driver update 23.2.2. Yesterday was ok, but today, I get a crash every 15 minutes and strangely the pc stays closed, doesn't reboot, I dont even get a black screen it's a sudden RANDOM instant shutdown. If I turn on the pc after the crash, sometimes it will crash again after five seconds, right before image comes up on post logo, then it takes itself to safe mode and strangely I don't get crashes when I'm on windows safe mode nor Bios screen. (Update, no I do)

So I checked here and sighed a relief that it was driver related. Downloaded DDU and uninstalled 23.2.2 on safe mode. Downloaded 22.11.2 again and installed it, suddenly it crashed again while installing, so I DDU'd on safe mode again and installed 22.11.2. Restarted and everything was going fine. Gave the gpu a 5 minute stress test just to make sure, no crashes, cool. Then again, I get a random crash while I'm scrolling Adrenaline options(didn't even change anything), ON 22.11.2, or even simply looking at desktop, I get a crash nonetheless.

22.11.2 was working properly last day but after updating to 23.2.2, after crashes uninstalling it, and reinstalling 22.11.2, I'm still getting crashes. I'm going to try even older ones and hopefully come back with results... 

UPDATE:  It even crashes on bios screen WITH THE CARD TAKEN OUT. I don't know how this is possible, I defaulted the bios settings and uninstalled ALL GPU drivers with DDU, and it still crashes even in safe mode, driverless, or driverless and gpu card taken out in bios. After it crashes, pressing the power button does nothing, the system doesn't even light up. Then I have to switch off the power for a good 2 hours before it starts again, but pc crashes after 15 mins again, on second boot it lights up for 4-5 seconds and shuts down, for the third time I press the start button it wouldn't even light up. So I thought, huh, maybe this isn't driver related at all and took out my PSU (hydro g pro 1000w-4 month old basically new) (My CPU and GPU temps were always way below 70- so they weren't the reason I was crashing) and sent it to be checked by the service. I am waiting for a response from them and I will update here. I didn't have problems booting into Windows, my pc just crashes out of nowhere, without any temp problem from cpu or gpu so I made the semi-educated guess that it might be either motherboard VRMs heating up or a problem with PSU. I couldn't flash BIOS and check it because of fear that it might crash during setup and my mobo would be bricked. I neither get blue screen nor black screen, it's a hard, complete PC crash.

Any ideas why my computer randomly crashes and doesn't boot at all afterwards? Could it be the 23.2.2 messing with BIOS, corrupting it? 

0 Likes

Driver version 23.3.1 just came out claiming it fixes the windows crashing and booting issue but your is sure enough worst case scenario and by the sounds of it, maybe a defective motherboard or CPU to flatline even in the bios. 

Hopefully you can claim replacements under RMA under warranty, may be a good idea to check around and see if others with the same board or CPU experienced the same issues you have had.

As for my issue: still ongoing but hopeful this update does something right this time around, updating as I reply and see how it lasts over the week.

I'm still waiting for the PSU report as of now, will update here on Friday. To be frank I don't even know what else the problem could be if it isn't a problem related to PSU. I mean I can log into Windows, even start up stress tests. But after some time passes the PC shuts itself down for no reason whatsoever. It's not the temps with the CPU or GPU I can tell for sure. Your CPU flatline comment is also very helpful, maybe if they say the PSU is OK and send it back as it is, I will do a flashback on the BIOS and try again. As a last resort I can send in the motherboard.

Please keep us posted with updates, there is a very select few people in the same boat as us, there is only 2 threads that say 23.2.2 crashed their computer and any form of thought related to solution would be very appreciated. I don't really understand how a GPU update can even affect BIOS and brick a mobo or still cause crashes after getting DDU'd. It doesn't help that I'm Turkish and AMD doesn't have an office or even a hotline here that offers help. I would have to talk with the distributor themselves and they are always a hassle.

I'm crossing my fingers thinking all these problems are related to something completely different, in my case the PSU.

0 Likes

I would try using another videocard during some stress tests and look for it to crash without the RX card inside the case.
might also be a long shot but maybe get new psu cables in case one of them were made with a defect in them like a broken wire or a plug issue.
I mention that cause I had a bad cable from a Gigabyte psu and later the psu itself died. not trusting gigabyte products again after that.
there is one other thing im overlooking, overclocks. if you have set your gpu to custom clocks and voltage, may want to set it back to stock settings during the tests (however i doubt this will cause it to crash on idle for you but wouldn't hurt to check).

Hello, thanks for your replies and support, the PSU I sent to the service turned out to be working OK. They said they changed the power switch, as I stated in the letter I've sent to them one of the problems I had with my PC was that the PSU made a crack sound when I switched the power switch on and off. However that problem was a very minor one, I don't think my problem will be resolved once the unit reaches back to me. I will make sure to apply those extra steps you've mentioned, I am running out of ideas fast... I will one by one take out the ram sticks, flash the bios, change the PSU cables and if that doesn't work I will have to take the whole setup to a professional as I don't have any spare parts to pinpoint the exact problem. To recap my prior tests, 

- I've defaulted all values of BIOS to default,

- Took out the GPU and let the pc run

But even then the PC shut off randomly. So there were crashes even on BIOS screen without the GPU plugged in, randomly, and the PC didn't turn back on unless I switched the PSU off for a good 15 minutes or so. I'm guessing maybe it is something in the computer overheating and shutting itself off, one of my 4 ram sticks might be faulty, a PSU cable might be overheating, or maybe the VRMs are overheating? Can that cause crashes? I'm feeling so defeated because this is the first PC I've built and for years I've been crazy about getting a PC, did research for years on parts and even PC repairs even when I didn't have one. I was even hyped to repair my PC because I thought I knew too much, I said to myself "Huh, something must be overheating, let me just scope it out real quick and fix it! This might be fun!". To my surprise this is really not something software/psu or temperature related, at least from what I was able to monitor from the sensors. The worst thing is I was using this computer problem-free for 4 months and one day it just gave up like this.

0 Likes

Perhaps checking under the motherboard in case there is something touching the back and causing it to somehow surge after some time and also check if there is no crack in the board itself too where it's only just making contact.

Still narrowing down where it can be coming from now being board, ram and CPU at least.

A pro like a PC parts store could be a good idea to check parts individually as you do not have spairs to check yourself but there will be a maintenance charge and cost to replace the faulty part too.

djharmonics
Journeyman III

Same issue here. Latest update bricked my motherboard. When I updated to 23.2.2 my performance tanked, huge fps drops, way lower than average fps, and stutters. My PC shut down when starting up Destiny 2 and never posted again. Running a 7900 XT, Asus Prime B550 Plus motherboard. 

0 Likes

something else i noticed that is weird. when the card crashes (mostly adrenaline crashes, not the whole pc), my asus aura rbg also crashes.
i recently set it to always on so if in case the pc crashed again while monitor was turned off, i would know but lately its not been crashing like before however when my game and drivers crash out, so would aura and thats not set up for games like corsair's iCUE is.
i honestly have no idea what could be going on at this point so ill wait for a few more driver updates and decide if i should switch gpu's, frankly it's starting to make me worry.

0 Likes
CapticeTrice
Adept I

I am back for a final update to this issue.
Overtime AMD Drivers have improved the card and stopped its random crashing and locking up.
Things are now working as intended but there is one final itch that I can't scratch and that is the bothersome Zero RPM setting in Adrenaline always keeps enabling with every pc restart.
This needs to be an option that users can toggle this on or off permanently without needing to enable with each restart.

0 Likes