cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

billbishere
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: Do you use Adrenalin Edition 18.1.1??

I wanted to share my experience and was curious to know if anyone else ran into same thing.

I performed the install and then directly after my FPS in games almost lost HALF....  Well after freaking out a bit I went ahead and removed the drivers and went back to 17.7.1.  Even after going back to the other drivers I was still having the same issues.  After doing a bit of troubleshooting I discovered my WATTMAN OC settings were adjusted.  Keep in mind I had NO OC on the card at all or even messed with WATTMAN.  For whatever reason it was set to scale back the clock speed on the top end.  The last slider was about half way down.  I still can't figure out how or what this happened.

So keep in mind even after I downgraded the driver the WATTMAN settings had stayed, guessing I didn't remove the settings during the uninstall.  So I went back and upgraded to the 18.1.1 again, and sure enough it did the same thing where it changed the clock settings to lower than stock.  So I went ahead and installed MSI afterburner and OC'd the card just a little bit and everything is fine.

Was curious though if anyone else ran into 18.1.1 changing the WATTMAN settings to basically under clock the card.  I did see someone saying the temps are better with the update, might wanna check that and make sure you are just not running at a slower GPU clock causing the cool down.

Just to give specs that matter for anyone curious..

4790k - stock cpu

RX480 - XFX 8BG - OC to 1340 now

Windows 10 64 Pro - latest patch

0 Kudos
pokester
Esteemed Contributor III

That is interesting but not surprising. This is why I still use DDU on top of the clean install in the drivers. I then usually follow that with a ccleaner to clean registry. Little leftovers sure can mess things up! I do know at that my clocks did not get lower. I have verified this with a couple utilities that report GPU speed and they read the same as in Radeon Settings. I don't have any third party oveclocking utilities like Trixx or Afterburner even installed anymore as Wattman is doing things fine for me. Of course fine meaning once I set custom profiles as defaults don't work. For instance just yesterday had a driver crash which reset Wattman to defaults and went into BF1 and had graphical glitches then a complete graphics hang but the audio kept playing, so not a lockup. Went back into Wattman and reloaded my profile with custom fan and +50 power and all is well.

0 Kudos
noodles59
Miniboss
Miniboss

The gigabyte tool AGE interferes with Wattman hence messing clocks .. that's my experience. Other than that I use wattman to oc GPU to 1295 since my Aorus RX-570 is manuf. certified to run at max. 1295 - no issues for me with the latest 18.1.1 driver.

Win10 x64

FX 8320

0 Kudos
ajlueke
Exemplar
Exemplar

Good information to have.  I doubt this is my issue however, as I have never installed Relive.  As soon as I install any Adrenaline driver, Destiny 2 load time become intolerably long, only to resolve itself as soon as I revert to a Crimson driver.

I will try running the DDU and installing the Adrenaline driver and see where that gets me. 

0 Kudos
pokester
Esteemed Contributor III

Good luck I hope it works. I have never had relive installed either but those things did help me, but I doubt it has anything to do with extend load times too. One other thing though since you are trying another clean install, if you have any utilities like Trixx or Affterburner that are for tweaking your card, I would uninstall those. In fact once you get the latest drivers working correctly the wattman feauture does pretty much everything those did, it has a bit of a learning curve though. There is no doubt there are many issues going on between many cards, the drivers and the different games those those two are supposed to support. The bright side of this is that while your issue is not fixed they definitely seem to be addressing many of the know issue with a bit more speed now. Hopefully your issue is fixed soon too! There is still hope that somebody else with your config and game will come by and already know a working work around to the issue.  Good luck and happy gaming!

0 Kudos
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Folks,

Many thanks for sharing your feedback on Adrenalin 18.1.1 driver.

If you have an issue relating to this driver, or a different driver, please start a new discussion and provide the essential INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION rather than submitting bug reports or trying to debug issues in this thread. These threads can grow quickly and multiple issues can get merged into one huge thread and lost in the process.

If you have a bug report to submit, please do so at www.amd.com/report.

If you would like to debug an issue you are having, please submit a new thread.

Apprecaite it.

Matt B

0 Kudos
pokester
Esteemed Contributor III

Matt,

I think I get what you are saying but also think that part of what you said could be taken another way. I want to clarify "the rather than submitting bug reports part". I think many will think from what you said that they should not fill out the official bug report forms and report their issues here in the forums only. Which seems to be the opposite of what has been said in the past. I think what you mean is that they should not be submitting multiple bugs per thread in the forums because it is too confusing for all to manage? I want to clarify because it is a tough road convincing some they need to fill out the actual report forms to know their issues are at least evaluated by AMD. Many posts get made in these forums that go unanswered in any official capacity by AMD after all they are AMD's COMMUNITY forums. Trying to convince people desperate for help here they need to fill out these bug reports is a daily occurrence here. We appreciate any help from you guys we do get. But many are still under the impression that anything they post here is and will be addressed by AMD engineers. So I just want to make sure the intent of what you said is very clear, so it doesn't start a whole new wave of people expecting help and being mad at you guys because they don't get answers.

0 Kudos
pokester
Esteemed Contributor III

sorry an addendum to that. I really think that we need a pinned message to the bug report forms and the email submission link. With an explanation of what help can be expected here in the forums. Right now the information there is not concise on this and especially an unfamiliar customer who is probably already frustrated has to luck across the information on the website or a random thread here.

amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Submitting bug reports is fine, just want to make sure they don't get lost in this thread. Feedback is great, but each issue deserves its own thread so it gets the appropriate attention.  Clumping multiple issues into one giant thread is not ideal and makes it difficult to follow, hence my message above.

TL : DR

A feedback thread is not the place to submit bug reports or debug issues.  I've edited my post slightly to make this clearer.

0 Kudos
pokester
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks Matt, it's what I thought you meant, but I could just see where it was leading to.

0 Kudos