cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

About January Sweepstakes.

Not to cr*p on the person's successful entry or the good intentions of AMD community managers, but... doesn't it seem just a tiny bit weirdly suspicious to anyone that the person that has been awarded is specifically a freshly registered user who's ONLY posted stuff in SweepStakes topics? I've seen a lot of  similar things with various sweepstakes where the winner happens to be some kind of a company's employee or a friend/relative of an employee and the whole idea of sweepstakes turned out to be a pretentious facade aimed at boosting the community activity.

Don't get me wrong, I still believe in honest giveaways and I'm not really sour over the loss, since I don't really have the appropriate setup and money for building the rig with that CPU anyway, and I've never won anything in my life, so I'm used to it, but these little seeds of doubt always get me thinking about the possible shady manipulations going on behind the scenes.

Oh, and I'm sure one day AMD's community managers will make it a point to not reveal the awarded user's profile anywhere anymore, to keep it secret from others for "safety reasons".

ScornfulWizard_1-1643905560079.png

W10Pro (22H2)|Kingston A400 240G|ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 (L2.71)|Ryzen 5 5600|ID-Cooling SE-225-XT Black V2|nVidia RTX 3070 FE 8Gb|XPG GAMMIX D10 [2x8GB] DDR4 3200MHz (XMP)|DeepCool PK700D
4 Replies

*slightly annoyed bump*

W10Pro (22H2)|Kingston A400 240G|ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 (L2.71)|Ryzen 5 5600|ID-Cooling SE-225-XT Black V2|nVidia RTX 3070 FE 8Gb|XPG GAMMIX D10 [2x8GB] DDR4 3200MHz (XMP)|DeepCool PK700D
0 Likes
SocratesGS
Adept II

The rules for the sweepstake were pretty lax. You just had to be a certain rank for qualification, and post in the topic for an entry. I hope they only count one post per person as the entry and not each post as an entry. Other than that, the user's activities can be anything really.

After looking at the person's profile, I don't think they met the qualifications of the contest. He is only one rank away from the base rank, and even though I am not yet "Novice III", I dwarf his activity on the forum. It certainly doesn't make sense to me.

I wish they would post the ranks are so I know how many away from "Novice III" I am.

Yes I also found it strange that a User that just joined 3 weeks ago with only 2 posts is ranked a Journeyman III.  He should have been ranked below Novice III in my opinion.

Maybe the Moderator should mention the criteria for winning in these monthly AMD promotions or does the Moderator just inputs all the participants in a program that randomly picks a winner similar to putting all the names in a wheel and turning it and randomly picking out a name.

I felt the way the winner was chosen wasn't very fair to those Users that actually are active at AMD Forums and not just in that one AMD Promotional thread.

But at least the Winner received a great AMD Processor for just posting twice in the same thread.

You can't beat that. (-:

And they never appeared on the forum ever again, huh. Funny, right?

ScornfulWizard_0-1675519356133.png