Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: A little help with computer crashes

I've played a few things and it the problem is still happening around 20-30 minutes after i start the game

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I've reinstalled my drivers with no luck the problem is still happening

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

Can you provide both a screenshot of GPU-Z Graphics Card GPU Information Utility as well as the current Driver Version you're using (easiest is screenshots of System > Overview & Software Tabs from the Radeon Settings Application)

Also provide the Motherboard BIOS Revision (CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID) and the current Chipset Drivers.

You should be running: Adrenalin 18.6.1 (Optional) for Windows 10 64bit (available here​) as well as the Chipset 18.10 for Windows 10 64bit (available here​).

Be sure to install the Chipset Drivers first and DO NOT chose the "Install Latest / Recommend" but Local Drive, as it will simply ignore and not install the Chipset Drivers.

Also be sure to run Windows Drive Clean-Up (right-click your OS Drive, typically C: > Properties > Disk Clean-Up)… be sure to Select Everything on the List to Purge Previous Installations. Then AMD Clean Uninstall Utility before installing the replacement Drivers … COLD REBOOT (i.e. Shutdown, Count to 30, Power On) to Purge the System Memory of residual Drivers.

There is no reason why you should still have AMD Overdrive (as it has been discontinued and isn't even compatible with Drivers from 2017 on-ward)., so we first need to do a full System Purge; as this could potentially resolve issues but if it doesn't and it still installs Legacy Drivers then we'll need to figure out WHY it isn't recognising your Hardware as GCN but instead Terascale 3.

If you were using a HD 7000 / 8000 Series Radeon, then this would make sense... and while the R7 370 is Trinidad (GCN 1st Gen), it should be entirely compatible with the current GCN Restricted Drivers. Meaning you should have full access to Wattman for direct Hardware Control.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

What particular games are doing this. Some games are just known to be problematic. For instance Overwatch is one many people have issue with and it just seems to be a game engine issue.

A few other things to do in Windows that may help. Make sure to go into settings and go under gaming and disable everything in there like dvr etc. This stuff runs and can cause issues whether you use it or not. If nothing else it will give you some cpu cycles back turning it off if you are not using it.

Disable fast startup. You can google how to do this. What happens a lot on Windows 10 is that even when you change things they don't always take after a restart because it pulls old cached data. You don't have to leave this off if you don't want to. You can disable restart then when you re-enable it it will right a fresh cache.

I do know that the R series of cards seem to be among the hardest hit with still having driver issues so that could be it too. And there is no fix other than to try an old driver. 17.10.1 I think is one that seems to work well for a lot of people.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Just found another thread with a guy with about the same setup having what looks to be the same problems.  No fix yet but I did mention the AMD Mod maybe he can get the ball rolling on some better help.

Computer crashing whenever graphics are used

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

2d063ab71a95863c80db5c54f79bb5bf.png

3d444007f4c9b8ec0505144841094455.png

4bf7e75d173c769bbbb0711970acac1d.png

af07e66a5bfa9f08496fd68247b4df86.png

temp2.png

I think i have got screenshots of everything you asked for sorry if i missed anything, i'll get anymore if you need them. Also thank you so much for the help i really do appreciate it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

Well aside from GPU-Z listing Pitcairn instead of Trinidad Pro (Pitcairn Rev. 3), and the Drivers not listing any Mantle API (i.e. no support)

I don't really see too much wrong there.

Just for further note., your GPU is an ASUS R7 370 DC II OC 4GB... or at least that's what it's claiming to be.

I'd STRONGLY recommend installing the 18.6.1 (Optional) Drivers, as the 18.5.1 you have installed have serious compatibility issues with Windows 10.

Actually should resolve like 99% of your current crashes / issues.

There is a newer (2016) BIOS available for your Motherboard (GA-970A-UD3P (rev. 2.x) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global)

I'd recommend that, then try the most current AMD Chipset Drivers from their Website.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

My HD 7870 is Pitcairn and it has more GCN cores than your R7 370, wonder if you GPU is a binned version?

0 Kudos