cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

bilbad
Journeyman III

5700xt I have latest software updated Sept 2020 but STILL get random black screen crashes.

RX 5700XT, Ryzen 7-3700. I am still getting random black screen crashes using Software Version
2020.0909.2058.37766. I even get it playing Microsoft Solitaire. Any suggestions other than get a Nvidia card?

I don't OC, I play Golf and driving games through Steam, I'm NOT a gamer per say. 

0 Likes
6 Replies
leyvin
Miniboss

Can you say what the Brand of your Graphics Card is?

I ask this because PowerColour have had abnormally high RMA with Navi GPU., it's actually quite common to see 2-3% Failures Rates; with up to 5% being seen "High" (within acceptable tolerance, but only just). 

Now I do think it's important to point out that in regard to RMA Issues (Card Failures)., we're seeing the issue exclusively with the GDDR6 Memory Modules.

NVIDIA has also been experiencing similar issues with specific brands as well, with far above "reasonable" Failure Rates.

In the case of PowerColor it's almost 26%... I believe for NVIDIA it's Zotac that is seeing similar failure rates, but don't quote me on that; as I'd need to check the data again (it's been a month or so).

It seems whoever is providing the Budget GDDR6 Modules has been clearly having an issue with Quality Control.

A stop-gap solution is to Underclock the Memory... say to 1600MHz., this should help improve stability and reduce issues.

With this said I also know that some of the "Black Screen" issues does stem from the Windows 10 WDDM 2.3 Specification., specifically various updates that Microsoft have been pushing out without properly testing.

While these _should_ be fixed by now., there is of course a chance that without performing a Clean Install (Reset this PC) ... the Fixes might not actually resolve the issue.

Microsoft REALLY need to bring back their internal Quality Assurance Team (at least for Windows)., as Crowd-Sourced QA is actually not useful for anything more than edge-cases... but as the Public will generally not complain even when they do have an issue unless it's long-term / an issue that affects them daily (and most don't even know where to report issues); well this means weeks-to-months before issues are caught., longer to actually diagnose, fix and push out a fix., then there's the question if the Fix is actually propagating properly needs to be tested. 

(Remember some updates don't perform a "Full" Update but rather are more "Quick" Updates that merely do a Delta Fix., which can leave existing issues resident in various Temporary / Virtual / etc. areas) 

I'd also recommend flushing your Shader Cache., as again... some issues can remain resident there over updates unless you clean it out. 

It's like I ALWAYS recommend when you update your Radeon Drivers., perform a Factory Reset and Clean Install... this will entirely remove the previous Drivers and install the new ones as opposed to a Delta Update; which again can leave some resident issues.

I have the PowerColor RX 5700 XT Red Devil 8GB. I removed the GPU drivers completely and did a clean install of the latest recommended Radeon software which seemed to work until I got a black screen after 7 hours. After that I had regular black screen again so I took your advice and called technical at Scan Computers, where I purchased my PC components. They directed me to download Unigine Heaven and run a stress test. On the first run at default settings, it ran through with no faults. So I ran it again at higher setting and at 1440 res. It crashed within a few seconds of starting up. I emailed the Scan guys and I have an RMA being collected next week. Luckily, the GPU had a 2 year warranty. Thanks for your advice. Ian

0 Likes

bilbad 

if you knew the origins of the issue please share

did you had blackscreen then freeze crash then reboot?

was it WHEA Even ID 18?

the only solution i found so far.that you must use 120hz refresh all the time or the GPU crashes still don't know why

0 Likes

Actually Zotac is tied with the best of them. With Palit and Gainward being the worst on the Green Side.

I have a couple Zotac cards with no issues either. One is over 3 years old now, knock on wood. 

Failure rate by GPU series

GPU SeriesFailure Rate (RMA %)
AMD RX 5700XT4
AMD RX 5700X4
AMD RX 5600 XT2
AMD RX 56001
NVIDIA RTX 2080 Ti5
NVIDIA RTX 2080 SUPER1
NVIDIA RTX 20804
NVIDIA RTX 2070 SUPER1
NVIDIA RTX 20703
NVIDIA RTX 2060 SUPER2
NVIDIA RTX 20602
NVIDIA RTX 1660 Ti0.01

AMD Radeon 5000 Series Failure Rate (RMA %)

VendorGPUs ShippedRMA #RMA %
ASRock2520482
Gigabyte59901763
MSI72801452
PowerColor118706636
Sapphire137003212
XFX2740984
Total:4410014523

NVIDIA Turing Failure Rate (RMA %)

VendorGPUs ShippedRMA #RMA %
Gainward40501073
Gigabyte168703492
KFA2200403742
MSI286805702
Palit40101664
PNY46082
Zotac2170342
Total:7628016072
0 Likes

My mistake... I'm less familiar with the NVIDIA Brands than AMD Brands. 

I just know for AMD you go Sapphire or ASUS, while NVIDIA you go PNY or Gigabyte. (Used to be XFX before their little falling out with NVIDIA)

In any case, it's good that the OP was able to get an RMA for his Card; hopefully the replacement will be better.

0 Likes

Yep hope the RMA works out. XFX has a really good support department. I was putting together an old retro rig from some old parts a while back. Had an old Nvidia AGP card from them and still had my receipt and it had a bad fan. Those cards came with lifetime warranties back then if you registered them. I sent them a pic of the card and they sent me a fan. I could not believe they still had one. They however have been great about sending me adapters a couple times too with no charge. I have had really good luck with them. I think Saphire makes a nice card but their support was the worst I have ever dealt with. 

0 Likes