cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

TimYo187
Journeyman III

16gb vs 24gb Ram

Hello all, new to the community and relatively new to upgrading pc components. My question is ive got only two ram dimms currently populated with (2x8gb) Ddr4 2666mhz which is max freq for my motherboard, Max ram is 32GB. Ive ordered just one stick of Patriot Viper Elite 16GB 288-Pin DDR4.. Im wondering since they're both running the same frequency and cas16 will keeping the 8gb stick and adding a 16gb make a difference in performance or will it degrade performance?

My Pc Specs. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: 16.0GB
Motherboard: Omen Moria2
Graphics card: Zotac GTX 1080 Amp Edition

0 Likes
4 Replies

Your problem may not be specifically with performance rather compatibility between the 8 GB and 16 GB RAM Modules.

Generally when you install more than one RAM module (Stick) you purchase a RAM Set with the amount of sticks you are planning on installing. That way you will know that they are 100% compatible with each other from the manufacturer.

as an example, I purchased a RAM Set of 4 sticks that lasted over 6 years before one went bad. When I went to RMA that one RAM stick, The manufacturer Corsair, said I must return all 4 sticks to replace the one bad stick due to compatibility issues. I ended up purchasing the exact same RAM stick but as a single stick. Luckily it was compatible and I had no more Memory issues afterwards.

Most likely you will see a slight uptick in performance and Multitasking on your computer. But generally 16 GBs is considered more than enough for the majority of computers.

Anyways, I would keep an eye for any BSODs or errors popping up that might be caused by your RAM installed.

Have you tried Overclocking the existing 16GB of RAM Memory using XMP in BIOS?  The manufacturer Support page of your motherboard's QVL List should indicate if you can overclock the RAM or not.

I suggest that you just purchase a 32GB RAM Set of 2x16GB Sticks that are listed either on the Motherboard's QVL list or on the RAM Manufacturer's website as being compatible with your motherboard and processor.

NOTE: by the way, the best RAM Speed for the 3xxx processors are 3600Mhz. This will give you the best performance for your RAM Memory.

EDIT: I see you have an OEM HP Motherboard installed. I highly suggest you ask HP Support which RAM is compatible with that motherboard and processor unless they have a QVL list at HP Support.

Thanks for the reply unfortunately my mobo doesn’t support overclocking I’ve got an hp omen obelisk. Just an entry level into gaming with tons of upgradablity which is what I liked after getting to know what exactly each component does and works, coming from a console player switching to pc was the best experience I’ve had, only thing is I wish I knew then what I know now about the prebuilt hp Gaming rigs is there are no oc features. I’ve had this thing for a year an realized Off the bat it was Not a great choice but I was able to upgrade everything to my liking. I’ve just recently had to order a new case because my new gpu is barely big enough to fit with the 8 pins keeping it to where I can’t close the side panel.  I’ve seen vids on YouTube with the 8gb + 16gb ddr4 ram working together I just wanted a second option before I installed it, probably gonna wait till Monday any way when my new case arrives. 

0 Likes

If you are going to need to change the computer case and you have a Ryzen 3xxx processor why don't you just invest in purchasing a new non-OEM motherboard like Asus or MSI or Gigabyte to replace the OEM HP Motherboard.

Plus with a Asus or MSI or Gigabyte Motherboard you can OC and you can find out which RAM is compatible with the motherboard and Processor by looking at the QVL list plus update the BIOS when needed.

Generally these Pre-Built PC come with a minimal and rather weak PSU. So I would check to make sure your PSU is strong enough for the new GPU Card and the Ryzen Processor.

That is if it is within your budget to spend the extra cash to upgrade the Motherboard and RAM and possibly the PSU.

If not, then what you have plus 24GB of RAM should give you a good computer experience with the new GPU card and Ryzen processor you have installed.

Later on you can always upgrade the Motherboard, PSU, and RAM to something better in the future.

FYI Only, The Zotac GTX1080 GPU card requires a minimum PSU wattage of 500 watts.

0 Likes

Thanks for your info, ive contemplated in getting a motherboard as well, but for the moment im just having cooling issues because the omen case was very poorly designed, only thing they have going for them is upgrade ability to a certain extent lol. I've learned alot about pc components than i did before buying this pre-built. I've literally upgraded everything because it wasn't up to standards for all the AAA games but did play most without issues

Upgrades included New Corsair AIO - Stock cooler was not cutting it

Added a second 8gb Hyper x 2666mhz - only came with one stick stock

Added 1 NVME SSD, 1- 2.5in SSD

Zotac GTx 1080 Amp Edition - Barely Fits, case is not wide or long enough

Added a noctua 120mm fan at the bottom on case

For now My 500W stock PSU works great i dont have two many things drawing power.

So taking your advise im probaly gonna order a second Patriot Viper Elite 16Gb DDR4 so i dont run into issues.

Thanks for your input, helped alot!

Edit: Since my first message ive ordered a second Viper Elite 16Gb DDR4 to avoid any issues, upon talking with Hp support they told me i could use the 8gb + 16gb together but i know its gonna bother me with my slight OCD with my pc stuff lol.. New egg even gave me 5$ gift card because they jacked up the price since the last time i bought this 16gb stick, what also helped is regularly buying from they're site.

0 Likes