cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

What is everyone playing these day?

Looking for recommendations on a good single-player game. The last good series I played was the Plague Tale games, and more recently Hogwarts. Looking for something that will suck me right in. Thoughts?

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
24 Replies
jamesc359
Forerunner

The Dead Space remake is fantastic. I always loved the original and at first I was afraid that there was no way they could do it justice, but some how they actually made the game better. It's a must play IMO. Another great single player games I'd recommend is Prey, Bethesda did a fantastic job on this title and it's one of those games that I'm always surprised more people haven't played.

awesome, thanks @jamesc359 . I'll check them both out. I've heard some good things about the dead space remake as well

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED

Depends on the genre preferences, really. There are tons of good games already and many more appear every year.  

W10Pro (22H2)|Kingston A400 240G|ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 (L2.71)|Ryzen 5 5600|ID-Cooling SE-225-XT Black V2|nVidia RTX 3070 FE 8Gb|XPG GAMMIX D10 [2x8GB] DDR4 3200MHz (XMP)|DeepCool PK700D
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I have been having fun with Atomic Heart. I tried really hard to like Control and even made it half way through but I just could not bring myself to finish the game. Maybe I'll go back to it later. I still have to finish the two DLC for Remnant: From the Ashes.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

At the risk of drawing the ire of the fanboys, I'm going to say that I felt like Control was overrated. The games biggest selling point was the fact that it supported ray tracing. It wasn't the gameplay, level design, enemies, story or sound track which are all good, but far from being great.

Speaking of gameplay, I felt like it heavily borrows from so many games that did it better. The same can be said for the games story and whole premise. Even the enemies aren't really that inspired.

With that said, it's not a bad game by any means. Because it is a good game, it's just not as good as the fanboys think it is...

Fanboy chiming in... how dare you @jamesc359 ! I absolutely loved the story and was so invested in the overall theme/mystery of the bureau and all the phenomena along with it. But I'm a big sucker for the X-Files and that subject matter - so I was the perfect demographic for it.

I was sad after I beat it and hope they do a sequel of sorts. I'm going to give Alan Wake a try soon because of Control.

I grew up watching the X-Files as well! There's something about the theme that still triggers nostalgic feelings for me to this day. Without a doubt the X-Files is the biggest influence on Control's story, aesthetics and mythos. Control almost could've been an X-Files episode or movie. That aspect of Control is what I enjoyed the most about the game.

I want to believe.

0 Likes
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I like 'World of Tanks, Blitz' since it's free to play.  I don't do all that well in the game because I don't want to spend money for upgrades.  I guess that's the new way of making money for the developers.  After an hour of playing though, my right wrist starts to ache and I have to call it quits.  I'm not much of a gamer anymore.  Unreal Tournament was a favorite back in the day, along with Call of Duty 2.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I do wish the Arena Shooter would take off again. I liked the remake of Unreal Tournament for PS3. I wish they would remake Tribes, with the sliding mechanics and the jetpacks. I really enjoyed that on PS2.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Since I'm all out of time lately I'm going after stress relief games. 😑

Been playing some Doom challenges to get more gold medals and up the ranking, a bit of campaign and mini games inside RoG Citadel XV too

johnnyenglish_1-1679841486763.png

And this one...

johnnyenglish_0-1679841373957.png

The Englishman

I am still in throwback mode: Deus Ex, Red Alert, StarCraft, Cossacks II and Interstate 76

If you have Deus Ex on steam, give this mod a try:

johnnyenglish_0-1679862668471.png

They done a massive overhaul, maps, textures. If you like System Shock 2, there are some Easter eggs inside of it too

I Have the hard copy but the game showed up at 1,99€ on steam so.. koool 😁

The Englishman

You got me with that 2nd photo... literally LOL'd.

Wally_AMD
Community Manager

A couple of games I've adored in most recent years: The Last of us Pt. 1, God of War (2018), Elden Ring, and Hades.

Looking to pick up the Dead Space and Resident Evil 4 remakes soon! 

Elden Ring looks really good. Those dragons are amazing! They're beautifully animated and so detailed they almost seem real. They're the main reason I want to play it.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did take little pause from online games and now I am playing mirrors edge.

Key-J
Paragon

A game which I enjoy playing Solo, (even though it is an online game) which can be a lot of fun and frustrating at the same time is Sea Of Thieves

sea-of-thieves-balux

If you've never played any of the Portal games - definitely take the time to go fix that!

portalposterb

I also really enjoyed playing Ninja Gaiden back in the day, perhaps check that out as a great Single Player game:

Ninja_Gaiden_%282004_video_game%29

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Lost of great games to add to my play next list! Think I'm going to start with the Dead Space remake, then move on to some of the other suggested ones. Thanks everyone!

Be sure to report back! I'm going to give it a go after I finish The Last of Us Pt. II.

I want that game but prices are steep.

That was a great game!

ThreeDee
Paragon

If you want to get into a frustratingly good time ...

Hunt: Showdown

...might be right up your alley 😊

Go solo .. Go duo's ... Go trio's 

I play solo only 

ThreeDee PC specs
petosiris
Miniboss

I'm playing Star Citizen MMO (see "My favorite game" in my signature for more info) while I wait for Elite: Dangerous to be "finished" when it comes to features and gameplay.  Yes, E:D was released in 2014 and have had several DLCs since, but IMO it need several DLCs more to be playable.  Right now it's "one mile wide and one inch thick", as they say.

But you were looking for a single player game.  I can't recommend any now, sorry, but I'd recommend you look at Star Citizen Squadron 42 when it's released.  Hopefully this year but I don't know.  Squadron 42 is a tree-chapter game and the first chapter has about 23+ deep an long missions, AFAIK.  See below for a sample of one of the missions.  That 1+ hour video show just a part of the mission ...  There are many known actors playing the characters in SQ42.  The video below is 5 years old so it shows an early stage of the single player game.

Well, the first minutes of the video is just walking around the ship and talking to people but the mission comes along after a bit.

The enemy:
The Vanduul is the enemy in SQ42The Vanduul is the enemy in SQ42

Best,
Petosiris           About me | PC specs | Favorite game | How to display your PC specs in an image

I like the game Kingdom Come Deliverance, but I never do anything but steal and play dice . I always get sidetracked and never complete missions

0 Likes