cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

MOBAs - what are your thoughts?

So I know @Amber_AMD plays League of Legends and it got me to thinking - what are y'alls thoughts regarding MOBA games? For those who may not know, MOBA stands for “multiplayer online battle arena.” Basically, real-time strategy games played with teams.

I've watched various MOBAs being played on Twitch like Smite, Dota 2, etc. and they seem pretty fun! I like the teammate aspect. But I've only played one myself - the ever-unpopular (lol) Dead Island: Epidemic, which closed servers in late 2015. 😭

So what are y'alls thoughts regarding MOBAs? Also, anyone have suggestions for one that might appeal to someone (like me!) who enjoyed Dead Island: Epidemic? 

Obligatory photo from Dead Island: Epidemic. RIP 

Ashley_AMD_0-1653068259588.jpeg

---
Ashley
Ryzen 7 5800X • Radeon RX 6900 XT • Gigabyte X570S AERO G •
7 Replies
Key-J
Paragon

I had a bit of a love-hate relationship with MOBAs.

I started playing DOTA when it was still a mod of Warcraft 3. However, this was only because most of my friend group was playing it.

I never got into Dota 2, but then started playing League of Legends relatively continuously (Rammus Jungle FTW 😉) however I have since stopped playing because it really did become super toxic and games would start to become unenjoyable. 

When Heroes of the Storm was introduced, being a big Blizzard fan we started to play that and had a lot of fun, we still pick it up from time to time when we want a quick in-and-out game to play with some friends. 

However, right now the main "Moba" style game (if it qualifies as that) which we play is SMITE. I quite enjoy the aspect of playing from a 3rd person view but with the same objectives as a normal MOBA. Maybe give that one a try if you are curious.

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!
Amber_AMD
Community Manager

I think for me, they can be really frustrating. The two I've primarily played are League of Legends and Lost Ark. 

League is the one I've stuck with the most. I love that they have a variety of different game types and it's not always the same - but stays under the same umbrella of characters and process. You can also play without spending any money and can buy characters and skins through playing the game. Also, it can still be frustrating. I think I looked at the stats and I only win 48% of the time because sometimes it truly is just luck on team comps and things. If anyone wants to ever play some ARAM or TFT together, let me know! I would love to play with anyone from the community. 🙂 

Lost ark is a different story. That game is a GRIND and isn't fully just a MOBA-type game. Also, you have to play that game for hours and hours until you like HAVE to spend money to level up gear and abilities. I've honestly stopped playing it as much because of the pay-to-win aspect of it. 

Looking forward to what others have to say and what games everyone else is playing! 

Best,
Your friend at AMD
PC specs | Twitter | Red Team Discord

Iiiinteresting convo so far! 

giphy

---
Ashley

@Amber_AMD I really wanted to play Lost Ark when it was coming out, the hype was strong! However, just as you mentioned - more and more people started talking about the P2W element of the game. Unfortunately, really put me off. I already have limited time for games, so adding funds makes it a little worse 😞

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!

@Key-J That is totally fair. It's honestly a shame or I would spend a lot of time playing that game. I love the characters, abilities, and armor / how you upgrade everything. I think I got my armor to like level 550 and I was like, what I am doing. LOL There are also dungeons and the quests are fun. The only other downside is that to travel island to island you quite literally drive a boat. And sometimes how far you need to travel takes up to 20 min. Anytime a quest told me I needed to go to another island i wanted to cry hahaha. So I mean, all in all, if you're super bored and wanna try a new game - would be fun to tinker with.  

Best,
Your friend at AMD
PC specs | Twitter | Red Team Discord
red5
Miniboss

I've played quite a bit of Heroes of the Storm, and it's currently my go-to game to be honest.  My son got me started on it when it was in beta. He ended up playing competitively for a while, but then Blizzard kinda pulled the plug.   I played League of Legends years ago, but the community just became too toxic for me.  Heroes is very much team oriented, and the maps are all geared around team fights.

The main Heroes community manager sent me a big swag box after someone shared some pics they saw of us playing on my gaming LAN. It contained a poster signed by over 50 members of the dev team.  It's one of my most prized nerd possessions.

Heroes.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1085972132004991
Discord https://discord.gg/pttrmDpeVN

@red5 wrote:

The main Heroes community manager sent me a big swag box after someone shared some pics they saw of us playing on my gaming LAN. It contained a poster signed by over 50 members of the dev team.  It's one of my most prized nerd possessions.

Heroes.jpg

That is AMAZING! A great community is invaluable. Kinda makes me want to start playing Heroes of the Storm now. 😋

---
Ashley
0 Likes