Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

Amber_AMD
Community Manager

How often do you purchase video games?

Hey Red Team, 

As a gamer, do you like trying things out and having multiple options or are you the more conservative type and only purchase a few titles you're looking forward to? 

For me, I have absolutely no control. In 3 years, my Nintendo Switch has 20+ games on it and my steam account has 45 games. I have had my steam account for probably 3 years now as well... but still. LOL, that's not even the only place I have games. 

Yes, you may shame me for how many games I purchase. I just love trying new things and the best part about steam is if you purchase a game and play it in under 2 hours, you can get it refunded. 

Interested to see how many of you have the same problem I have 🤣

giphy.gif

Best,
Your friend at AMD
PC specs | Twitter | Red Team Discord
25 Replies
GreatnessRD
Miniboss

I don't purchase too many nowadays. (Won't go down that rabbit hole) But at one point in time I did. Happy and surprised to say that there are a few games that I want to grab this year. Hasn't been that way in a very long time.

• Returnal (Released today, but I'll wait for a sale)
  • Street Fighter 6
  • AEW: Fight Forever
  • WWE 2K23 (Mild interest...)
  • The Last of Us Part I
  • Undisputed (Currently in Early Access. Gonna wait a bit longer)
Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)

Ooooo I hadn't heard of Returnal! Looks like you can get it for a little cheaper on G2A here

Definitely going to be looking into that game as I've been looking for new Co-op games! 

Love that you found some games worth purchasing this year 🙂 

Best,
Your friend at AMD

@Amber_AMD  Returnal was originally a PS5 exclusive that Sony brought to PC. Looks fire and I can't wait to play it when I do end up purchasing it. I'm glad I found a few games to play, too. 

*Sidebar* Is it possible that those who run this site add the ability to get a notification when someone responds to your message? I wouldn't have seen this, but I by chance decided to double back into the thread, lol.

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)
0 Likes

@GreatnessRD My partner and I purchased it the other evening and the graphics are SO good. The only thing for me is it seems like the game might be repetitive over time... but not sure we've given it a full chance yet. I like though! 

And yes! When you click on your icon in the top right, go to settings, then go to subscriptions & notifications. There you can select what you would like to be notified for in the community 🙂 

This is the setting I have selected to be on: 

Amber_AMD_0-1676671555102.png

Which I like because it notifies me when other people comment on a post that I comment on 🙂 Hope this helps! 

Let me know if you have any issues! 

Best,
Your friend at AMD
Axxemann
Forerunner

I don't like paying the what I consider to be inflated prices for games. Most of what I play is F2P.

Performance over Pretty.

That's super fair!! Sometimes I'm okay paying full price to show my thanks to the developer - if its a really good game 🙂 

Best,
Your friend at AMD

Don't get me wrong, there are games where I will happily fork over money. I'll be paying full pop for X-plane once I can get some more flight sim peripherals (now THOSE are overpriced around here!) and most likely be buying some of the add-on bushplanes, too. I played through the demo a few times and trying to fly with an old CH Fighterstick that won't center properly is a bit of a (string of expletives deleted.)

But I'm taking a hard stance against paying more than $25-30CAD for Halo Infinite. 343/Micro$oft really screwed the pooch on releasing a game that they essentially had the playerbase beta test and didn't even have all the functionality available at time of release (Co-Op, Forge being the big ones.) You want $80CAD for a campaign that I'll complete in an evening or two depending on my plans? Nope!

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes
Justifier
Challenger

EXTREMELY rarely

I prefer to update my hardware and continue playing the games I already have and enjoy instead

The last game I purchased was Astroneer, which I got back in December for something like 10$ and didn't really like.

Before that was..... Bannerlord? 2019ish

14900k • Z790 Apex Encore • 4090 • 2x24Gb-8000 • 1200 Corsair Shift • 420mm Arctic II Push-Pull • Noctua • Fractal Torrent • Guilded.gg/justifiers

Oh dang you are definitely more conservative! That's awesome for your bank account 🙂 

Best,
Your friend at AMD

Nah Amber, I still spend just as much, or I guess maybe near the same amount

It just goes straight into the PC rather than more games

I also do get a lot of free games along with some of the hardware I upgrade to, as well as free games from Amazon Prime Gaming

14900k • Z790 Apex Encore • 4090 • 2x24Gb-8000 • 1200 Corsair Shift • 420mm Arctic II Push-Pull • Noctua • Fractal Torrent • Guilded.gg/justifiers
0 Likes
marinesquirel
Adept III

I want to say I don't because I have the xbox game pass ultimate... but I would be lying. I just recently purchased 4 games that were not cheap. And yeah, fun. My wallet is crying, but the kid inside is slinging webs.

LOL I'm guessing a recent purchase was spiderman. Do you like it?! The quality of that game always looks SO good whenever I see people playing it 

Best,
Your friend at AMD
Wally_AMD
Community Manager

I have amassed so many games in my Steam library over the years thanks to their yearly sales, but the most recent game(s) I've picked up would be NBA 2K23 (PC), WoW: Dragonflight (PC), Hogwarts Legacy (PS5), and Horizon Forbidden West (PS5). Looking closely at Dead Space (2023) though... 👀

In total for last year, I probably picked up ~10 games between console and PC. (I won't count my PS+ membership since you get 3 "free" games a month)

jamesc359
Forerunner

Hello, my name is James. I have a sickness; I'm a digital video game hoarder. *hangs head in shame*

Because of my predilection I've had to implement a policy of only buying (PC) games I'll play right then and there. I had to stop buying games because they were on sale with the intent of playing them later because inevitably another sale/bundle comes along before I get around to playing the games from the previous sale. Also ... bundles... They're horribly toxic and undermine a digital hoarders recovery.

I've got so many PC games I often times see a good deal on a site and think cool! I'd love to play that... Only to find that it's already in my library... In my defense though I've been playing PC games since 1995. My first Steam game was Valve's Orange Box. Figures it'd be a bundle of games. I played them all though!

games.png

Things on the console side are under control though. I've got about 11 physical games for my Switch and about 50 digital games. Plus I still have all my NES, SNES, N64, GameCube and Wii games, but those are collectors items at this point in time...

ajlueke
Grandmaster

Not too many games nowadays.  I have a backlog of games I still want to play and never seem to get around to.  I did purchase Valheim and Darktide fairly recently, and those have been the primary games I have been playing.  I haven't purchased a new title so far in 2023.  In 2022 I picked up God of War on PC, Elden Ring, and Darktide.  I haven't purchased a console since the Xbox 360 generation, so I think it is safe to say I am PC only now.

rtbh99
Challenger

i would say i dont buy games that often, but i just bought fallout 3 goty edition and fallout new vegas ultimate on steam so i could use mods on both of them. and we just recently got dead space as well...

---
lets talk about rtbh99
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did buy Titanfall 2 on steam recently it was on big discount, game is fun.

eebiii
Miniboss

I would say 3 or 4 times a year. Mostly for my son but I always buy the new MLB The Show but on PS5. 

FrostyBud777
Adept II

Depends on Naturopathic doctor bills and budget as well as the games on sale and releasing. 
Now that I went team red and got a Hellhound 7900 xtx , I am purchasing more games. 
Just got Hogwarts and beat it and now tomorrow, Feb 23rd, Sons of the forest releases. I am so excited for it. 
Also Waiting for atomic heart to come on sale
I prefer to buy single player games on sale as I can enjoy them whenever. 
Multiplayer games I try to get sooner cause I think one of the best times in games is when a new mulitplayer game comes out and people get to explore it together. 

I am VERY excited for unreal engine 5 games coming and have been tracking them for over a year. 

CGC
Adept II

I only buy the games I'm going to play. Recently, I've only bought two games: Atomic Heart and Crime Boss: Rockay City.

gennaz
Wally_AMD
Community Manager

Thoughts on Atomic Heart?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont like how robots look in atomic heart.

0 Likes
Vernas
Adept I

For me, it's about every 6-8 months I'll buy a good game.

That's a very reasonable cadence! 

Best,
Your friend at AMD
Key-J
Paragon

It is hard to say, but really I am only buying games when I KNOW I am going to end up playing them. With kids and other responsibilities, my gaming time has gone down so it is hard to have a collection of games to bounce between.

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!