cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Holiday LAN Party

We had a small family-only LAN party here at Big Al Computers on the day after Christmas.  Our grandkids were over, along with our son and daughter and while only small group, it was lots of fun.  I did pretty well in World of Tanks - Blitz, a game that doesn't make my right wrist hurt since it's not too intense.

Did anyone else host a holiday LAN party or do you have plans to do so before 2023 arrives?

Tom opening a Christmas gift.Tom opening a Christmas gift.Arthor gaming on 'Game-a-Tron-3'.Arthor gaming on 'Game-a-Tron-3'.Valerie, Belle and Ora.Valerie, Belle and Ora.Valerie and Belle get Magic Card packs.Valerie and Belle get Magic Card packs.Rebecca, Valerie and Belle on the main level, in the den.Rebecca, Valerie and Belle on the main level, in the den.Tom received an Alien creature made of glass.Tom received an Alien creature made of glass.Ora gaming on 'Through the Looking Glass''Ora gaming on 'Through the Looking Glass''Arthor opens a gift.Arthor opens a gift.Ora gaming.Ora gaming.322110888_704247504384285_4628310370808399903_n.jpgBacking up to get Ora, Arthor and Tom in the picture.  Tom is playing on 'Alien Vs. Predator 2', which has the AMD 5700G CPU for integrated graphics.Backing up to get Ora, Arthor and Tom in the picture. Tom is playing on 'Alien Vs. Predator 2', which has the AMD 5700G CPU for integrated graphics.See?  I can game.  I am KittyPal.See? I can game. I am KittyPal.A toast to me.  I was wearing my AMD Red Team T-Shirt.A toast to me. I was wearing my AMD Red Team T-Shirt.Opening gifts.Opening gifts.Ora getting logged in.Ora getting logged in.What could it be?What could it be?An old but still kicking gamer.An old but still kicking gamer.Arthor's favorite game.Arthor's favorite game.You can see 'Purrfection' behind Valiere in the middle.You can see 'Purrfection' behind Valiere in the middle.Arthor getting logged in.Arthor getting logged in.Arthor playing World of Tanks - Blitz.Arthor playing World of Tanks - Blitz.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
24 Replies
Vynski
Exemplar

Thanks for all of the photos.

Really brings back memories of when my boys were growing up.  We had LAN parties all the time with StarCraft BroodWars and later with Call Of Duty II.  The best one was the night I attacked my youngest with about 8 aircraft carriers in BroodWars and he thought he was doomed.  He said "Dad where are your fighters".  I didn't know you had to build them.🤔

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

That's funny.  We used to play Call of Duty 2 at many LAN parties over the years.  Check out some pictures here.  

Memorial Day LAN party in 2016.Memorial Day LAN party in 2016.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

We were playing one night and my oldest just fell out of his chair and I had no idea why.  So we replayed what had happened.  The oldest was quite a sniper and my youngest was getting picked apart by him, the oldest would just snicker.  Then the youngest figured out where he was at and when the oldest peeked out from where he was hiding, he caught a rocket right in the face, literally knocked him out of the chair.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

That's pretty funny.  I mean, it's not every day you get a rocket in the face.

From some old movie I think.From some old movie I think.

Sam_AMD
Community Manager

This is awesome @BigAl01

Thank you for sharing! I have to ask...did you ever play World of Warplanes? (I played it non-stop for about 2 years). Also, that glass alien is great...where did you get it? 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT

Haven't played that one.  In Call of Duty II there was a tank mission that you played and that was the reason for my amp and speaker system to be installed on a SoundBlaster X-FI.  Seriously, when the tanks rolled by with the amp volume turned up to almost 3 (of 10) it would vibrate the room.

Sam_AMD
Community Manager

I had a few SoundBlaster cards back in the day. In fact, for a while, SB cards were a must for gaming rigs, remember?

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I remember it was tough getting them installed with the proper IRQ's assigned.  It was a real pain sometimes, causing problems with other cards like a network card or video card.

Yeh, especially when you only had 15 IRQ's to work with.

What I know of @BigAl01 he probably printed it 3D.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I still have not bought one.  I need to justify the price with more ideas about what I would print.  Too bad they don't print molten glass though.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I don't ever remember playing World of Warplanes.  One of our gamers likes playing something like World of Warships.  Hugh updates every time he wants to play it.

The glass Alien is a mystery to me.  Our daughter brought it for his Christmas present.  All I know is that it is very fragile.  We kept hearing how we must be careful with the package it came in.  It survived, as you knew an Alien would - they are hard to destroy.

GreatnessRD
Miniboss

Now that's cool! I'm glad you had a memorable moment with your loved ones, @BigAl01 . Happy holidays my good man.

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Happy holidays to you and your family too.

bgnass
Adept III

Happy Holidays your family is united

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I hope people that are in cold weather regions (like Buffalo, New York) are able to stay warm this holiday season.  It's brutal up there.  Down here in Virginia we have been below freezing for many days but we avoided an ice storm because last week it rained and then had a chance to dry up before the freezing weather struck.  We were lucky.

Amber_AMD
Community Manager

Thanks so much for sharing some photos of your LAN, everyone looks like they had such a good time!! 

Happy new year, @BigAl01 🙂 

Best,
Your friend at AMD
PC specs | Twitter | Red Team Discord
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Happy New Year to the entire AMD Red Team!

Key-J
Paragon

Super awesome! Sharing gaming with future generations!

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

This is absolutely awesome @BigAl01! No family or Gamer friends here to LAN with so I'm a little jealous. That would be a perfect family activity if I had a family lol.

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Arctic Liquid Freezer ii - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 5TB of Crucial P5 Gen. 4 NVMe - NR200P Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
Wally_AMD
Community Manager

Late to the party here, but I always love checking out these recaps for your LANs, @BigAl01! I wish I had friends and family who were this into gaming when I was growing up. Looks like an absolute blast.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Our kids grew up with a couple of electrical engineers.  Things could have been worse, I suppose.

0 Likes
eebiii
Miniboss

That looks really cool @BigAl01. I'll bet everyone had a great time!

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

It was fun.  I think my next LAN party will be on Memorial Day Weekend.  

0 Likes