cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

MacroPower
Journeyman III

Amd 6800xt buzzing/coil whine

Hi, I have a strange buzzing noise one the card gets above 100 watts of power ( I checked it on the radeon software), I even found other people that have my same problem, and it is most likely coil whine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTdLTBdectk,

the link above is not my video, but that's the sound that I'm getting, literally the same sound.

The 2 8 pin connectors , are separately connected to the psu, since some users managed to fix the problem that way. 

I don't care about that noise at all, I just want to know if it can hurt my gpu, if it's just a noise that's whatever for me. 

The psu that I'm using a semimodular Sharkoon 750 watt 80+ gold 

5 Replies
MrPickle
Journeyman III

Coil whine is fine.

Just a high-pitched whine from the capacitors on the card if I remember correctly.

0 Likes
Holtzey
Adept I

I get it but it is generated from my PSU. If I apply an unervolt it goes away but then my games crash.

I experienced this prior with different Nvidia/AMD and if the noise is generated from the PSU, outside of the items above to minimize (ie FPS caps) i switched to another psu maker (seasonic) and the same configuration would not display that same noise.  

will79big10
Adept I

My 6900xt has very loud coil whine as well. Especially in game menus or games with really high fps (CS:GO).

Tips that made mine more manageable:

1) Undervolt in the Radeon software or MSI afterburner. Radeon does this with one click and it’s pretty stabile. 

2) Limit your FPS especially in games or with vsync or free sync if your monitor allows.

Coil whine occurs in the electrical/electronic components of high powered hardware like the PSU and GPU and sometimes the motherboard's VRMs.

There isn't much you can do about Coil whine except if it is really loud and annoying try to RMA the hardware (PSU or GPU or Motherboard). Most Warranties don't honor Coil Whine unless it is really bad.

You could try and Soundproof your computer case to prevent the noise from being so loud.

I would first determine exactly which component is producing the Coil Whine - GPU, PSU. or Motherboard.

Coil Whine, in general, is not harmful. It just electricity flowing through some of your electrical/electronic components like capacitors, Coils, etc in your hardware.

But once you determine exactly which hardware is producing the noise I would open a Support ticket for that hardware and just asked them their opinion. Possibly they will give you tips on how to lessen the noise or ask you to RMA the hardware if still under warranty.