cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

ubergeek
Journeyman III

Re: Age yourself - your first GPU? I'll go first

Do you mean PC  graphics card or are you specifically talking about "GPUs"?

CGA circa 1985 with those glorious DIP chips 

Or the Mach32 on the EISA bus 

Or the Rage Pro if you only want to count 3D card...

Yes, I'm that old.  Who remembers vector graphics?

dzimmerm
Adept I

Well, gee, age myself?

My first real graphics card was probably one of the VooDoo2 series. It had been so long ago and so many architectures past that I can not recall the exact model number. I got the Voodoo card to add to my work machine in order to play Unreal Tournament. There were a group of guys at work that all competed on the company LAN to show off their head shot sniper skills. I was the fresh meat. We also played Homeworld across the LAN which I really enjoyed. 

Before then it was mostly whatever came with the motherboard or whatever I could scrounge from the bargain bin at my local Microcenter or one of the many other small computer stores that had popped up. 

I have been in the computer geek mode since the late 1970s when GPU pickings were slim or non-existent for a regular working class geek.  

If life is a game what epic battle will you choose?
lvskiprof
Adept I

Back in my day they weren't GPUs, they were video cards that used discrete chips.  I am talking about the mid-70s.  Before that I used teletypes, a Memorex printer terminal, or (my favorite) an I/O Selectric Typewriter that was the system terminal for a DDP-24 mainframe that I had in my garage.

The DDP-24 was a 1960s era 24-bit mainframe that had 8K of core memory (double the normal size), high speed paper tape punch & reader, plus a 5-track vacuum column tape drive (field upgradable to 7-track).  It had a shipping weight of 1 ton, without the tape drive.  The company that made it was bought by Honeywell to get into the computer field.  It also had a drum memory that I never got working.  The I/O Selectric was a standard Selectric typewriter with solenoids attached to the keys to turn it into a printer.  It had an assembler and Fortran II as languages.

Yes, I am that old...

Mike Riley (lvskiprof)
jrronimo
Adept I

Not the first video card I ever had, but my first 3D accelerator was a Voodoo 5 5500 PCI. I still have it just in case I want to play Diablo II in Glide. 😂

The first AMD card I bought was a 9700 Pro, from a friend. Still an all-time favorite card in my heart.

ScathArach
Adept II

VooDoo 2

Tags (1)
Krizonar
Adept I

From the first computer that was mine and not really 'for the family'... ATI Rage Pro!

red5
Challenger

The first one I bought for the first computer I built from scratch was a Radeon 9000 Pro 64MB

Ryzen 5800X - Sapphire 6900XT Toxic Limited Edition
Asus Strix B550 - Corsair RGB RT 3600 32GB - Asus GT501 case
namx01
Adept I

Can't exactly remember the first but one of my best early ones was a Matrox Millenium paired with a Canopus Pure 3d Voodoo card.

ssaradpon
Adept I

My first pc build out of high school, ATI Rage 1 

ThreeDee
Elite

Though I played with Voodoo cards in the late 80's .. MY first card was a Matrox Millennium G200 8mb AGP video card.

That bad boy was inserted into and ASUS P2B 440BX Chipset Slot 1 Motherboard with a speedy PII 350mhz and 128mb of SDRAM. Roomy 8GB hard drive to house Windows 98se,Tomb Raider games .. eventually Half Life .. and some online goodness via my trusty 56k ISA hardware modem to surf the interwebz and play Monster Truck Madness 2.

I eventually got into using SmoothWall™ and used my 56k modem in it to connect to the internet and then my PC connected via ethernet to it

...good times

|5900x w/Noctua NH-D15 2x140mm Fans|x570 Taichi|2x16GB RGB HyperX Predator 3200@3800 w/1:1 FCLK|MSI 6700XT|Seasonic FOCUS PX-850 850W 80+ Plat|Nighthawk Z-RGB Case|8x120mm RGB Fans|