cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

jaradmf
Adept I

Re: Age yourself - your first GPU? I'll go first

Ok I’m new, 62 and retired. Decided on on the  ASUS 6700XT OC, hasn’t come in yet, will let you know what I think. Chow for now.

lordgiblite
Journeyman III

Unsure what my parents had as a kid but my first CPU/GPU I bought for myself was an FX8320 and MSI R5 2700, which immediately got replaced with a R9 380 lol I bought prebuilt because I was so new to PC gaming.

lowteck
Adept III

1280px-KL_Diamond_Monster3D_Voodoo_1.jpg

German_AC
Adept II

Diamond Stealth III, with the S3 Savage chip. 

x.jpg

Artificial intelligence is no match for human stupidity.
hitbm47
Forerunner

Hi,

My very first own personal build was a GTX 260, but I believe when we were little, we played MS-DOS games like Wolfenstein-3D, Wacky Wheels, Doom II, Duke Nukem 3D, Formula Circuit, QRally which all rendered on the CPU if I am not mistaken.

orbitech
Adept II

Yeah, it's an 80's Atari generation user for me, I actually started out on a Sinclair ZX80 ASM Zilog, and moved on from there, to the Atari's. For GPU's it's a Pre-Rage ATI or Voodoo 3DFX card, I cannot remember for the life of me, what one? Recall is a strange Historian! LMAO! I actually collect retro gaming rigs, so if there any sellers out there post me a shout, and I will get back to you. They have to be in full working order, and in original condition. I have a total retro gaming cave! Team Red Forever!

Tags (1)
Duh_buhl
Adept I

3Dfx Voodoo 3 in late '99. 

filinux
Adept III

Hi all!!

Love these remember when style posts!!  Now if I could actually REMEMBER it would be a LOT better!! 🙂 

My first GPU's had memory measured in Kilobytes rather then MB's or GB's.  I remember hunting forever for the right chips to pop in (install) more memory on them.   I still have several of them still in storage with a couple in my 386 16Mhz and my MONSTER number crunching 486DX 33Mhz!!  🙂

I am surprised to hear a lot of people say their first GPU was a 3DFX Voodoo card.  I remember when the original 3DFX Voodoo came out and if Im remembering correctly (please see above comment about remembering 🙂 it was only a pass through card that would not operate without a source GPU feeding it (remember the vga to vga cable that ran outside the case?).  I LOVED the 3DFX cards from the minute I saw them until my final dual GPU 5.  I would be embarrassed if someone could actually find out how much time I just sat and stared at wall textures in Quake after installing the OG Voodoo card.  🙂

Great to hear from others who "remember when" and hearing about everyone's early hardware experiences!!  

Take care & have F U N!!

Omnipro
Adept II

My first GPU I can remember owning was a Diamond 3DFX. 

howardmw
Journeyman III

ATI All in Wonder Pro. Back when 486's were top of the line lol. I ran AMD on an ASUS board. Back when a gigabyte was not heard of. It was all megabyte. You know, when Bill said we would never need more than 640k for memory.