cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

GreatnessRD
Miniboss

7900 XTX and 7900 XT Review discussion

I didn't see a topic made. (Forgive me if there is one) What's everyone's thoughts on the two cards post review? I think the reviews showed the cards are solid. For me, I just wish it was classed as the x800 series of card. Especially since it was, on record said to be competing with the 80 series of Nvidia. Just was a little weird since the 6950 XT did compete with the 3090/ti and now that class of card is battling a tier below. Bu with that said, again, neither card is a slouch and I'm happy to see the improved raytracing performance. Hopefully, continued driver optimization will make the cards continue with that moniker of "AMD's fine wine". Congratulations are in order for AMD and all those who worked to help launch RDNA3.

What are your thoughts and who will be grabbing one tomorrow? If the XTX were in my price bracket, would definitely look to grab that, haha.

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)
57 Replies
eebiii
Miniboss

Wow! Glad I didn't go crazy during release. Since 90% of my builds are water-cooled, I wished he would have at least tried one block to see if it cleared the issue. 

I'm sure it would have.  Since the issue appears to be with the vapor chamber on the cooler, replacing the cooler would almost certainly mitigate the issue.

exactly. That seems to make the most sense, i would assume this will be/has been done already right?

Vynski
Exemplar

I need an upgrade on my CPU and GPU for this machine I'm on now, but I don't need to upgrade RAM and motherboard so I think the 5000 series will do me for the remainder of my years.  That is unless I'm still around in 2043.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
Axxemann
Forerunner

Not gonna lie, the 7900s are too rich for my blood. I'm waiting for the 7600s.

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes
GreatnessRD
Miniboss

Just finished watching that 4070 Ti review from what Hardware Unboxed. If AMD decides to knock off $50-$100 for the 7900 XT, that thing is going to fly off shelves pretty quickly. Was excited to see it held its own against the 4070 Ti in raytracing. 

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)

By what Der Bauer has discovered, they might want to fix their cooler design first.

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes

@Axxemann It appears they have already found the problem and RMA'ing/refunding the defective GPUs. Just sounds like a manufacturer problem than design problem since it isn't all MBA models.

0 Likes

Oh?

XFX.png

14900k • Z790 Apex Encore • 4090 • 2x24Gb-8000 • 1200 Corsair Shift • 420mm Arctic II Push-Pull • Noctua • Fractal Torrent • Guilded.gg/justifiers

The 4070 Ti is $100 cheaper (on some models) and isn't really selling at all.  The problem is they are both far to close in price to the 7900 XTX which is 20% faster.  The 6800 XT which was also 20% slower than the 6900 XT was $350 cheaper, $999 vs $650.  So 35% less cost for 20% less performance is a better price to performance ratio.

The 7900 XT would need to cost $799 to have the same price performance as the 7900 XTX, so $699 would probably really make it move.  But AMD is still trying to shift it's old RX 6950 stock at $799, so until that is gone prices likely aren't going down.

0 Likes
Moist
Adept III

Well I give up. Turns out the drivers directly from Alienware didn't fix my issues I will contact AMD support for a full refund and return label. Releasing a product that's just incompatible with a monitor or certain refresh rate is unacceptable. This product was in no condition for release. I'm well aware of the "New adopter tax" but this is a whole other level. A week of trouble shooting and it only working with my tv is not worth close to 1500 dollars. 

0 Likes

@Moist What was your issue and have you tried asking the forums?

0 Likes
Moist
Adept III

Ok well my issue is the card just hard crashes. I have to manually power off the system because the crash is just 7900xtx fans to max but power remains on. When I reboot adrenalin and drivers are gone and need to be reinstalled. During or seconds after the install and reboot it crashes again. System works absolutely fine with any other gpu. I have tried everything from multiple monitors fresh windows 11 installs. Nothing works I have put just about all my free time since December 19th when I received the card into trouble shooting and at this point AMD will receive my Bill for the work I've put into an unfinished product I'm that angry.

0 Likes

"AMD will receive my Bill for the work I've put into an unfinished product I'm that angry."

Yea good luck with that.

If you knew the first thing about computers you wouldn't be having these problems

0 Likes

First "sarcasm" about the bill. Wasn't actually serious and the fact that you know nothing about me and my computer knowledge in defense of a company speaks volumes.

0 Likes

The try acting like an adult.

Sarcasm is not gonna solve your problem, just shows imaturatiy

0 Likes
eebiii
Miniboss

Maybe consider a small water-loop just for the GPU. Sounds like the issue is the vapor chambers on these cards so rip that thing off, put a water block on it, pick up a 120mm res/pump combo with a 120mm radiator and fan. get some flexible tubing and a few fittings and your good to go. I know I am assuming you have the room for this but might save you the headache of the RMA.

0 Likes
Moist
Adept III

Too many problems to make a small water loop. I would have concerns about an RMA after trying a water loop because taking it apart may cause them to claim it was my fault.  I would need to do it on a test bench as my case is a fractal nano.  I would have to by fitting and a pump and that would put me in the cost of a 4090 and if I had wanted that I would have just bought that and saved myself all this trouble. I also don't believe it's a vapor chamber issue because I have tried it in horizontal and vertical positions and it reacts the same way. It also does not have time to heat up before the crash happens. I could literally have the card on without any cooler and it would not have time for this kind of crash.

0 Likes