cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

shady19406
Adept I

How to enable openCL to render on Vray RT ?

Hello, i just finished installing my FirePro w8100 in my system and i have the Firepro v5900 installed as well.I have installed the 14.502.1019.0 driver. I want to utilize both cards stream processors for GPU rendering and to be more specific in the VRAY RT engine. I have windows 7 professtional as my OS. I have no knowledge in C++ programing or any other programing language. I have been reading that I need to install the AMD APP SDK v3.0 Beta for the open CL 2.0 (Accelerated Parallel Processing) to work with the Vray RT engine. my questions:

1- do I need to change my OS to windows 8.1?

2- do I need to uninstall my current driver before I install the APP SDK 3.0 beta in order to work?

3- After installing the APP SDK 3.0 beta will the openCL work on the Vray RT GPU rendering right away or do I need further programming steps to do?

Like I said am not a programmer and the info provided on AMD's website is confusing to me. Thank you

0 Likes
11 Replies
nou
Exemplar

You should be able to use OpenCL application just after driver instalation. You need APP SDK to develop OpenCL applications or to use CPU as OpenCL device when there is no Catalyst driver.

Thank you very much for your help but if you can answer my concerns, I would be grateful to you

1- do I need to change my OS to windows 8.1?

2- do I need to uninstall my current driver before I install the APP SDK 3.0 beta in order to work?

3- After installing the APP SDK 3.0 beta will the openCL work on the Vray RT GPU rendering right away or do I need further programming steps to do?

0 Likes

1. no

2. no

3. install driver first then try run Vray. It should work without SDK

Thanks so much, i appreciate your time to answer my questions.

0 Likes

Hello, and sorry to bother you again but if you could verify that the SDK APP 3.0 beta installation does not require Windows 8.1 cause after reading the AMD OpenCL installation website it says that it is designed

to support the following platforms: AMD OpenCL™ 2.0 Driver

• Microsoft Windows:
    • Windows 8.1 (64-bit version)
  • Linux Distributions:
    • Red Hat Enterprise 6.5 (64-bit version)
    • Ubuntu 14.04 (64-bit version)

My windows is 7 professional 64bit

CPU     FX 8350

GPUs  W8100 and V5900 only the W8100 have the OpenCL 2.0 support

• Current Driver 14.502.1019.0

My questions:

1. will windows 7 professional 64bit be ok to install the SDK APP 3.0?

2. do i need to uninstall the 14.502.1019.0  driver before installing the SDK APP3.0 cause on the AMD Open CL 2.0 installation page they have info on uninstalling the Catalyst Software Driver?

Thank you very much again and I know that you have already answered my concerns before, but I am a noob whom needs assurance before I proceed.

0 Likes

1. APP SDK 3.0 beta supports Windows 7 64bit. Please check following:

http://developer.amd.com/community/blog/2014/12/09/amd-app-sdk-3-0-beta/

http://amd-dev.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wordpress/media/2013/12/AMD_APP_SDK_Installation_Notes1.pdf

2. No, you don't need to uninstall the catayst driver before installing APP SDK.

Regards,

Thank you for your help. Am not sure if i need to install the SDK APP 3.0 beta if it is designed for the CPU OpenCL run time only. What am trying to do is using my GPU to do the computing instead of the CPU. I use Vray RT 3.0 which has the capability to render by choosing open CL switch see (capture 1). The problem is when i try using the open CL to render, it fails compiling kernels from the GPU and falls back on the CPU instead see (capture 2). It renders on the CPU fine but takes at least 4 min to give me a good result. I have seen videos on YouTube where they render on Vray RT using the open CL on the FirePro W8100 and takes them seconds to render a frame. I bought the Firepro W8100 hoping to do the same thing. What do you think? Do you think I need to try a different driver? I have the 14.502.1019.0  driver which i picked using the auto detect from the AMD driver support.Capture 1.jpgCapture 2.jpg

0 Likes

Normally APP SDK is used for development purpose only. I don't this is the case here.

Though I'm not familiar with VRay, but from your posts, it doesn't seem that you need the APP SDK to be installed to run the kernels on FirePro cards. As suggested by nou in this thread AMD firepro w8100 V 5900 OpenCL 2.0 driver, you may check with VRay team once. Also, there is another community [ FirePro Development ] specific to FirePro cards where you may like to check this issue. If you ask, I can move your query there.

Regards,

Yeah sure you can move my query over there. Am just glad i was able to work out the openCL runtime issue on Vray. I just disabled the V5900 Cayman from Device Manager and ran the OpenCL GPU rendering and it worked but now i have an issue with the shading looking all messed up. I tried different scenes but it was the same issue when i run OpenCL rendering only, CPU rendering is fine. Maybe I need to remove  the V5900 completely from the workstation. So your saying installing the SDK APP 3.0 won't fix this? Maybe it's the driver need to be changed. As far as i know there is only one driver for the Firepro W8100 on the AMD driver support  auto detect page. If you know of any other driver to try for my card, I'll be grateful to you. Currently I have the 14.502.1019.0 installed.

0 Likes

I finally got it to work after disabling the V5900 with the Cayman computing GPU. There was a conflict having two GPUs running at the same time. Now rendering with OpenCL works and it is fast with the Firepro W8100 Hawaii alone. But there is a new problem with the shading and I have no idea why its coming out like this. Thanks for your help.batman.jpg

0 Likes

Hi Shady,

Thanks. I'm moving this query/thread to the Firepro forum, where you should receive helpful responses.

--Prasad