cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FirePro Development

Differentiating FirePro and Radeon cards by Device ID?

How can software differentiate between FirePro and Radeon cards based on Device ID and other hardware information?  For example, both the FirePro M5100 and Radeon R9 M270X mobile cards have a Device ID of 1002:6821.  How are application supposed to know the difference, and show users correct information in the UI?

In my case, I have an M5100 installed, but several pieces of software - including the Radeon Pro Settings driver software - report the card as "AMD Radeon R9 M200x Series".  Is this a known issue?  See attached image.

As a related question, for mobile cards, what is the difference between the generic drivers (from AMD) and the vendor drivers (from Dell, in this case)?  Maybe I have an incorrect driver installed?

Thank you,

Michaelson Britt

0 Likes
6 Replies

Update, it seems you are supposed to use the SubSystem Vendor:Device IDs in addition to the regular Vendor:Device IDs.  Except with my setup, the SubSystem ID is incorrect.  It is listed as 04A3, when I believe it should be 15CC (for a Dell card, which I have) or 2254 (for an HP card) ...

I swapped from a FirePro M5950 (equivalent to 6770M), and it seems the old SubSystem ID has stuck, even though I updated the drivers.

So maybe the real question is:  How can I fix an incorrect SubSystem ID, after swapping the GPU, in a laptop with MXM Type-A slot?

Thanks again,

Michaelson Britt

0 Likes

Hi Michaelson,

From the attached Radeon settings information, below are some important fields:

"Vendor ID" : 1002 which refers to AMD 

"Subsystem Vendor ID" : 1028 which refers to DELL 

"Device ID" : 6821 which refers to code name "Venus XT".

FirePro M5100 and Radeon R9 M270X both belong to "Venus XT" family, so corresponding device ID might be same. Whereas FirePro M5950 belongs to "Whistler XT", so the "Device ID" should be different. Please check the "Device ID".

Here is an useful article that says how to identify the manufacturer and model of an AMD graphics card: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-55 

By the way, for any query related to graphics card or driver, please ask here: https://community.amd.com/community/support-forums 

Thanks.

0 Likes

Thank you!  But, I still don't see how FirePro and Radeon cards can be differentiated by the Device ID alone.  It must be using the SubSystem ID (not just the "SubSystem Vendor ID" and mentioned in the linked article).

I suspect the correct SubSystem ID is 15CC, when my card reports 04A3.  So that's maybe a problem with my ACPI information, which I dunno how to fix.  Any further ideas?  Otherwise, I will ask on the driver forum, as you suggest.

Cheers,

Michaelson Britt

0 Likes

Provided that the graphics driver is correctly installed and functioning, the model of the graphics card can be found using RadeonPro/ FirePro  settings information as mentioned here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pdh-002. If the Firepro card is not detected properly, I would suggest you to visit our support forum for help.

It is listed as 04A3, when I believe it should be 15CC (for a Dell card, which I have) or 2254 (for an HP card) ...

Actually the above statement was not clear to me. So I tried to point out that "subsystem vendor id" (not "subsystem id") is used to identify the manufacturer or origin of the graphics card ( for example, 1028 for DELL, 103C for HP) and the listed value was correct in the settings information.

Thanks.

0 Likes

>> "subsystem vendor id" (not "subsystem id") is used to identify the manufacturer

Yes, the laptop is a Dell, and the card is Dell-branded, and the SubSystem Vendor ID is 1028.  That matches.  So there is no error with the SubSystem Vendor ID.

The problem is the SubSystem ID, currently listed as 04A3, which apparently was correct for my old M5950 card, but it should now be 15CC for an M5100.

Again - my system reports a correct Vendor ID, Device ID and SubSystem Vendor ID, but an incorrect SubSystem ID.  Is it possible to fix this?

Thank you,

Michaelson Britt

0 Likes

I really don't know what to suggest here. Please check our support forum. Hope they can help you resolve this issue.

Thanks.

0 Likes