cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

RokZon
Adept I

Zero RPM keeps turning on - And when it's on, it never turns the fans on, regardless of the Curve

Greetings,

I would have no program with Zero RPM being turned on if it worked.

When Zero RPM is turned on, not matter what my fan curve is, the fans never come on. I have a pretty steep curve - at least relative to the limits of the software, yet when Zero RPM is on, the fans don't come on regardless of the temperature.

This would not be a problem if it was just stay off. But the fact is, it keeps turning on and I have to check the drivers every time I boot up my PC. I've tried all of the obvious fixes. This is frustrating, because if I forget to check it, and it was turned back on, I'm running hotter than I would like. I spent a great deal of money for this video card, because of the huge price hike due to Crypto miners and such.

I'm running the 21.10.2 standard drivers.

PC Specs:

Video:
NITRO+ AMD Radeon™ RX 6700 XT
Navi 22 XT, Rev C1
Memory 12GB, GDDR6

CPU
Intel Core i7 9800K
Coffee Lake Socket 1151 LGA, 14nm
Currently running at 4k, but this issue happens at stock (3.6k)
Corsair Liquid Cooling

Motherboard:
ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-H Gaming
PCI-Express 3.0 (8.0 GT/s)

Memory:
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
DDR4, 2x 16g Sticks for a total of 32G, 3000MHz
Intel XMP Certified (Running XMP 2.0)

Power Supply:
HX Series™ HX1200
1200-Watt 80 PLUS® PLATINUM Certified

Operating System:
Windows 11

Nothing incredible, but certainly good enough.

Thank you for your time. Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated,
RokZon

─────════≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡☺≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡════─────
400 games and nothing to play
0 Likes
37 Replies

Do you have (or had) any other OC or fan control app. installed, could be a conflict between them.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

I'm real sorry that it took me so long to get back here. I did at one point, months ago, try MSI Afterburner because it used to be pretty great years ago, but it was actually disappointing now.

Even though that's been uninstalled for months, could it still be causing this issue?  I clean my registry from time to time and any time I uninstall something I make sure all of the folders are gone. 

It did happen today in fact, but this time my entire PC locked up. To the point that I had to hold the power button down and go through all that. When I booted back into windows, the "Zero RPM" was turned on again.

Could we please either have it default to the off position or have it actually work? Seriously, my fans never come on no matter how hot the card gets if that option is on, which it is by default. Even with the default fan slope, the fans should come on with that option on.

Please make it default off at least. Thank you very much.

Thank you for the reply, btw. I appreciate that someone tried to help. I'll have another look at possible remnants of Afterburner. If it matters, I'm not and do not plan to overlock my GPU.

Thanks

0 Likes

Hello guys,

This is still very much an issue. So much so that I now have a habit of checking the Radeon Software every time I boot up to make sure the "Zero RPM" option is turned off and that my custom curve is still in place.

It's scary, especially for what I paid for this card (because of the miners / shortage / whatever).

If that option is on, the fans literally will not turn no matter how hot it gets. 

Could someone that works on the software PLEASE let me know if this is an issue that others have been having and/or if there is a fix in the works?

Should I try to optional drivers? I always try to stick with the WHQL (if they're still called that) drivers, but I'll try the others if there is some sort of change in those that may help me.

Anyway, any help from someone who knows anything at all would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to look for a way to get a notification in email or my phone if someone replies to my message. 

The only thing that has changed in my system configuration since I wrote the original post is that I put in another 32gb of RAM in (yesterday). It's the same exact RAM though, down to the timing, so I don't expect any issues there.

Thank you for any and all replies with any sort of idea or knowledge to help me solve this. This is a serious problem and could very well burn up my card one of these days if I forget to check that setting before gaming.

Thanks,

RokZon

0 Likes

Should I take the lack of responses as a sign that I am actually the only one with this issue? I'm the only one that experiences absolutely no fan activity, regardless of how high the temp is, if Zero RPM is turned on? Which is the default setting if the driver settings get reset on a lockup or something?

I have to check the drivers every time I boot up to ensure the safety of my card. I have to redo the fan curve. I have to make sure "Zero RPM" is not enabled. 

If Zero RPM is enabled, the fans never turn on, no matter how hot the card/GPU gets. This is insane. At the very least, please default this setting off.

Others with different models of AMD cards (Same Gen) do not even have this option in their driver software. 

Does anyone who *does* have this option know if the optional drivers have done something different with this situation at all?

Thanks for any and all information.

0 Likes

Your issue is not common, though there are issues with zero rpm sometimes.

Your issue happens because you have a configuration corruption, possibly in driver or in Windows or both.

registry cleaners are a bad idea most of the times, avoid them, trust Windows it does periodic maintenance, itself.

I would try ddu and another driver. and if that don't work, then a Windows reinstall.

If you still have issue after that, I can't advise except to say turn zero rpm off altogether, which you mentioned you did on driver. 

I use overdriventool try that. remove the checkmark from zerorpm. Rather a constant airflow than no airflow at all.

ryzen 5600 + 6700 XT
0 Likes

overdrivntool still cant fix my  gpu fan it wont start

0 Likes

Turn off ZeroRPM with overdriventool

ryzen 5600 + 6700 XT
0 Likes

hey same my xfx rx 470 4gb fan cant start like im so pissed they only start at highest speed and its so very noisy i cant even adjust the speed of my fan and my rpm is always on can someone already fixed it?

0 Likes
RokZon
Adept I

Hello everyone,

This is still very much an issue which plagues me and puts me in danger of burning up a card that I had to play far too much for because of the whole crypto BS.

If the drivers reset for whatever reason, the Zero RPM option is turned back on. This option is not working with my card. If it is turned on, the fans never come on regardless of my fan curve. 

So, I have to continually open the Radeon Software and make sure that the Zero RPM option is not enabled. 

This may not be a problem for many people, possibly no one else at all. I don't know. All I know is that I have scrubbed everything clean, re-installed, reset, upgraded drivers religiously, everything possible. And this is still an issue.

It may not seem like a big deal to anyone here, but I have a lot of stress in my daily life, and this just adds to it. That may sound dramatic, but I paid a grand on this card. Money that I had by chance; I live on a small income.

I am only asking that the DEFAULT setting for Zero RPM is OFF instead of ON. That way, when the software resets for whatever reason, I don't have to worry about it being turned back on. That or actually fix it for every card so that it works properly.

If there is actually something else, I could possibly do to eliminate this issue, please let me know. I have exhausted every way I or google can think of. 

I simply don't want to worry about burning up this card. It was very expensive, and I need it to last for a very long time. I don't overclock, I am excessive with the fan curve, it never runs hot when it is working properly. I'm doing everything right. Now I just need the software to work correctly. At least make Zero RPM default off instead of on. Please!

The only things that have changed with my PC's specs is that I doubled the RAM (using the same exact RAM) and I added a 4tb spinner for more storage.

Thank you. Hopefully this will eventually get some sort of attention from someone that could possibly help or present the issue to the proper people for consideration or possibly advice for a fix in my case. Anything.

-RokZon

0 Likes

Sapphire IFC, its bios switch modes, Trixx utility. Suppose they've been checked, and no need for any other fan control app seeing as your not overclocking.

Leave AMD Tuning on default, why exactly do you need to set a fan curve ?

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Hello, and I really appreciate the reply.

I have the bios switch set at 3 which allows me to switch between using Performance Mode or Silent Mode via the Trixx Software. It certainly sounds like you are aware of the Trixx software for the model of card that I have.

Admittedly, one thing that I have not tried, thinking it would be redundant, was to change the card's hard BIOS switch to a hard 1 instead of 3.

The modes are as such

1) Strictly performance mode

2) Silent Mode

3) Software Switch Mode which allows Trixx to change between Performance and Silent Mode. Obviously, I have this set to Performance mode.

It can't hurt to put the hardware switch into the 1 position to make it performance on a hardware level. This is actually something I had not thought of.

So, thank you for a reply. They seem to be few and far between around here. Wish me luck as I make this change and hopefully it will finally solve my issue. Having the fans never turn on regardless of the card temp (due to Zero RPM not working correctly and won't stay disabled) is not acceptable.

As to why I set a custom fan curve in the Radeon Software (I use no aftermarket software besides Trixx), possibly naively and for no profitable reason, to preserve the card longer than normal so that it never gets as hot as it could.

Thanks!

-RokZon

0 Likes

Did it work?

0 Likes

No, it didn't.

Every time I update drivers or even if my computer has an issue and has to reboot (rare, but relevant), I have to turn off Zero RPM and create a custom fan curve again.

It's a habit now to check it all the time. Many times, before I even load a game. It's ridiculous. 

This is something that should have been addressed a long time ago. Even if it's just an issue with certain cards, if it's a minority of users, this should have been addressed.

I'm more disappointed than anything. It's probably been 15 years or so since I used an Nvidia card. And I really don't want to.

0 Likes
Chester1994
Challenger

You are not the only one. I posted this some time ago: https://community.amd.com/t5/general-discussions/rx-580-only-spins-fans-while-using-custom-fan-profi...

In my case, the settings keep the custom fan curve, but, if I install new drivers, zero RPM comes back again and my fans won´t spin at all until my PC shuts down due to high GPU temp while playing.

I would suggest going back to Win 10.

As far as going back to Win 10, you may be right. I really hate the thought and think my new routine of babysitting the AMD settings is worth it rather than revert back to 10.

I have to turn Zero RPM off and set the custom fan curve every time I install new drivers, or if my computer has some sort of issue where it doesn't shut down properly. That is a rare occurrence, but it's still an issue.

I'm now in the habit of checking the settings every time I bootup. Almost always before I load a game. 

It's ridiculous and should have been addressed and fixed a long time ago. I'm very disappointed.

I live on a tight budget and buying this card was not easy. I need to do everything I can to make sure it lasts as long as possible.

Anyway, I'm still hoping they will address the issue. It must not be a common issue, but even if it's a small subset of users, they should fix it in a timely manner. 

Here's hoping.

0 Likes

I'm on windows10, same problem. So that's not it.

Same issue here on a 6600 Win 10. This has been an issue for a while. Any updates?

The real issue is that recently - Zero RPM turns itself on constantly - even with a custom set of parameters under performance tab and fan control, this continues to be a bad issue that never goes away

IT Creations System Integrator
DeviantPain
Adept I

This is for the AMD team - Either give us an option to permanently disable ZERO RPM or remove it entirely.

It Simply does not work - when engaged, the fans do not move causing a thermal overload to the system which forces reboot. You keep telling everyone that something else is causing the conflict, but the reality is this feature makes using AMD/AMD systems intolerable.

Just finished a complete rebuild: Can be found here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fYTJQ6

I have spoken with techs in the AMD lab who felt that this issue is somehow tied to bad code - but the reality I would like to see is a permanent way to disable the feature. When I run my fan curve the way I want it, I have no issues - but the moment Zero RPM turns ITSELF on, I have nothing but an expensive piece of garbage that refuses to work. 

P.S. Never had this issue with NVIDIA....hint hint

DeviantPain
Adept I

Ultimately, at the end of the day - after you read through all of these replies of people trying to fix something that simply does not work as intended, and hearing multiple techs at AMD try to point at "possible" other programs as the culprit. As well. researching this issue on google and several other sites - with all of these gamers having the same experience regardless of their OS and System config. You are left with one very simple conclusion...

Allow us to permanently remove ZERO RPM - problem solved.

Maybe someone at AMD will finally listen to that request?

AMD_cire
Challenger

Hi,

It is interesting when I see your post about Zero RPM.

Mine is MSI 6600XT and my Zero RPM featuer works flawlessly.

From adrenalin we can disable it, right? So it works immediate, I turn on Zero RPM, the fans stop. I turn off Zero RPM, the fans start again with 30% speeds.

I also do test that at any temp I have, put the fan speed 100%, press apply and the GPU immediate become loud because spins 100%.

So maybe the video card you bought already corrupt.

MSI B550 Pro-VDH - MSI 6600XT - Ryzen 5600G
0 Likes

This is the 3rd XFX 6900XT I have tried, now tell me the chances of 3 different models of the 6900XT being faulty

Yes, Of course, it would work just fine if you never had any issues or a forced reboot

Or if you never updated your video drivers.

Many things reset that setting. I now have had to make it a habit to keep checking to make sure that nothing has changed - meaning sure that zero RPM is not back on.

Believe it or not, I have other software that, on occasion, will work incorrectly. This often requires a reboot. Though it had nothing at all to do with my video, well shoot, Zero RPM is back on.

Every single time something happens, whether it's related or not, I have to go turn it off again.

I'm very happy that your specific card from a specific manufacturer is working correctly. Please note that it is difficult to create drivers that will work correctly with all of the models and manufacturers. But that does not excuse them from simply making Zero RPM off by default for those of us having an issue with it.

All this time, over a year, and they can't simply leave it off by default. That's all it would take. Obviously, you are far beyond us in your card and knowledge, but many others would appreciate it greatly.

And Yes:

I tried doing a complete reset on drivers.

I tried using DDU, as per instructions in detail, while in safe mode.

I totally reinstalled Windows, configured, installed drivers, etc.  Well, you all know how long it takes when you reinstall. Especially when I own Windows 10 need to immediately upgrade to Win 11.

So, yes, I have indeed tried everything. Instead of assuming everyone here has not seen some magical, obvious thing that we're too stupid to understand, why don't you assist those that have specific cards that this is happening to.

Again, I started this thread in November of 2021. Still no fix or workaround.

Thanks.

Fix coming soon

0 Likes

I have very similar issue on my RX580

One thing that was fixable was to change booting options cuz as it turn out Microsoft changed stuff and when you turn off the computer it instead goes into hibernation and this f* WITH AMD driver settings while if i use the restart button it actually shutdowns the computer and i find it stupid.

Google "Fast Startup closes your active programs and puts the computer into a low-energy hibernation state that allows you to boot up your computer much faster next time."

Secondly, any power blackout or driver update will default to 0 rpm.

0 Likes

NOWADAYS EVERYONE USE SYSTEM ON SSD, BUT MICROSOFT NEVER GOT THE MEMO.

ryzen 5600 + 6700 XT
0 Likes
Reanu_Keeves
Adept I

To be frank if I had known about the zero rpm garbage I never would've bought the 6800 in the first place. It is not a positive selling point. Give us the option to disable zero rpm permanently. No re-enableing on reboot. Nothing. Permanently gone.

0 Likes

Don't let that deter you - AMD GPU so far as gaming goes, blows the doors off Nvidia especially if using an AMD CPU. This is just a bump

0 Likes
erikleach
Journeyman III

Windows 10 user here with a RX 6800.  Happens after every reboot for me.  I have a pre-flight checklist that includes checking if this is on or not before I start any game.  The fan will NEVER TURN ON while gaming with Zero RMP enabled and will result in game or system crashes.  This "feature" should be removed.  All it does is result in burned out graphics cards.  I can verify as of 4/20/23 this has not been addressed by AMD.

0 Likes

he fan will NEVER TURN ON while gaming with Zero RMP enabled 

well what's the highest temp you got to?

ryzen 5600 + 6700 XT
0 Likes

turn off Microsoft fast start - will solve yer issue

0 Likes
DeviantPain
Adept I

Turn off Microsoft Fast Start - problem solved

0 Likes
AMD_cire
Challenger

My Zero RPM feature works normal, but I never use it cause annoying. It has some noise when fans start spinning and it goes on and off.

The TEMP will always raise even you are not doing nothing so at the end the fans still need to spin.

You can try to just set it below 55-60 celcius, just always 30% fans speed.

MSI B550 Pro-VDH - MSI 6600XT - Ryzen 5600G
0 Likes
IvanavI
Journeyman III

Here is my Zero RPM problem: fans spin when I'm in a game, but on the desktop, they never seem to kick in, regardless of the temp. The problem is that my card gradually gets really hot (75°C) at idle (probably because, due to a dual monitor set up, the VRAM never clocks down, heating up the card little by little).

In my case, similar to some others, the fix is to not only disable the Zero RPM state, but also to enable a custom fan curve in the driver. I don't have to modify it from the default, but I do need to enable that. The card then cools down quickly and stays cool with the fans spinning at some reasonable and inaudible rate.

The card is a Sapphire Nitro 5700 XT, the driver version is 23.4.1 and the OS is Windows 10 Pro x64 22H2.

0 Likes
bobalazs
Elite

Turn off zero RPM.

Use MorePowerTool to do that.  Easy 1 minute job.

Then if driver crash you will have no more problem of having to control with outside software of whether it runs or not. It will just run constantly. Just remove the checkmark like this:

First 1 minute show you how to install and run it. You save bios with gpu-z. load bios in morepowertool. last tab , fan you change like i showed you this image uphere. press write SPPT in morepowertool. reboot. and done. Every time you change driver you have to repeat this. Otherwise driver crashes and such don't stop the changed value. Don't worry it doesnt touch the bios, only makes changes in windows. Like my post if it helped. 
https://youtu.be/6be60yu5cs4

ryzen 5600 + 6700 XT

Thank you, I'll probably try it. For now I have set a custom fan curve through MSI Afterburner (which unfortunately means that I have to load the application with Windows), so this is more elegant if it works (as mentioned, turning Zero RPM off in the AMD Software pretty much does nothing on its own, not only when the driver resets, but there is also no immediate effect unless I also set a custom fan curve, and then it doesn't always work either).

The scary thing is that I realized that the card would actually force a system shutdown if left at idle (I can game, run Furmark etc, no issues, the fans act normally, but in a lower power state they simply don't run whatever the temp). I've also reached out to Sapphire (the manufacturer of the card) to make sure that my VBIOS is original (I got the card second hand). BTW, I previously wrote Sapphire Nitro, I meant Pulse.

0 Likes

The above software allows you to disable low power states.

On the features tab

click Feature control button 

uncheck all the DS_ options

MorePowerTool_Mjc03Re47I.png

ryzen 5600 + 6700 XT
0 Likes