cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

fuziongxp
Journeyman III

YouTube videos flicker with Freesync enabled

So this Friday I installed the new driver (18.1.1) for my RX 570. Since then (I didn't see it before), with Freesync enabled, YouTube videos start to flicker after a while. If I turn Freesync off it doesn't occur anymore. In games (at least in Fortnite and LoL), there are no flicker issues with Freesync enabled. I'm using the AOC G2460VQ6 at 75 Hz. Also going back to the old driver,

flickering still occured. Any solution with this?

0 Likes
15 Replies
fuziongxp
Journeyman III

Re: YouTube videos flicker with Freesync enabled

Just to add, if I run the monitor at 60Hz, there is no flickerung issue with Freesync at video playback.

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

What happens if you have vsync off, freesync on and limit the frames to 60?

0 Likes
fuziongxp
Journeyman III

You mean in games? Like I said there are no flicker issues in the two games I play.

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

No in your video playback (or anything that has frames you might be having trouble with). Sometimes people are getting frames above their freesync range. Freesync won't work outside the limits set by your monitor manufacturer. Limiting the frames to be within helps, and setting to the native refresh rate means then freesync only has to take care of the dips bellow. I don't know if you are or aren't or got something else going on. Just thought I'd offer something to try if you hadn't already. Good luck!

0 Likes
fuziongxp
Journeyman III

Yes, setting the refresh rate of the monitor to 60Hz solves the problem. I also found out that disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome does it, too, but leads to an overall unsmooth experience while surfing.

Is there no other way to solve this? Is there any way to limit the frames to 73 or so like the Frame Rate Target Control in the Radeon settings in games does?

I am kind of disappointed now with the hardware I have because I don't understand why not even playing back YouTube works properly with the 'hightest' settings my hardware is capable of.

0 Likes
mack0y
Elite

Probably when the screen is flickering, the refresh rate of the monitor is continuously going from the highest refresh rate to the lowest and back up.  So in your case, unless you changed the range, going from 75 down to 35 and back up to 75 continuously resulting in the flicker.  Can you check the real time refresh rate from the monitor and see if this is what's happening?

RX 5700XT
0 Likes
fuziongxp
Journeyman III

Ok how can I do that?

0 Likes
mack0y
Elite

Not sure about your monitor but from my monitor's OSD (Viewsonic XG2401), I select information and can see the refresh rate change in real time.  Maybe it's the same for your monitor if you open the OSD and select 'Extra' menu and check if the V.frequency changes.

Do you have more than 1 monitor connected?

RX 5700XT
0 Likes
fuziongxp
Journeyman III

Unfortunately there's no real time refresh rate in my OSD and atm I have only one monitor connected.

0 Likes