cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

radeonuser1
Journeyman III

Youtube 8k 60fps unwatchable on 5600 XT with MS Edge. Trying to understand the problem, here are my observations

When playing Youtube videos of 8k 60fps, video stutters and becomes very choppy and not possible to watch. Tested with - Japan in 8K 60fps - YouTube. 4k 60 fps plays very smooth - COSTA RICA IN 4K 60fps HDR (ULTRA HD) - YouTube . Here are my observations

4k 60fps

pastedImage_3.jpg

8k 60fps

pastedImage_4.png

I enabled high performance mode for Edge but results are the same - https://www.windowscentral.com/how-force-microsoft-edge-use-best-gpu-windows-10-april-2018-update. Use hardware acceleration when available option is turned on in Edge settings.

My hardware

XFX 5600 XT RAW II 8GB GDDR6

Asus X570 Tuf Gaming Plus

Ryzen 5 3600X

Corsair Vengence 32GB 3200Mhz

I have couple of questions,

1. I was assuming that I would see GPU usage under Video Decode, but when playing Youtube, it's displayed under video encode. Any idea why? When playing videos, GPU gets involved with decoding the stream. Maybe I'm missing something

2. GPU-Z and Task Manager GPU utilization discrepancy - With my older RX 570 I could observe GPU usage under GPU Load in GPU-Z. With the 5600 it displays and stays at zero. Is that a driver issue?

3. Is this a 5600 XT driver issue or any setting I'm missing somewhere?

Thanks.

0 Likes
3 Replies

Does the same happen in any other browser like Chrome or Firefox?

If it does then it is probably an driver issue or possibly an issue with YouTube itself.

I noticed that while running 8k Youtube your WiFi was running at 16.1 Mbps while the 4k Youtube Wifi was running at 55.6 Mbps.

Have you tried running the 8k Youtube in a lower frequency or at 4k instead of 8k to see if it is smoother?

0 Likes
mickeekung
Challenger

My pc spec

ASUS 5600xt gaming ROG

Ryzen 5 3600

RAM 16 GB

ASUS x570 TUF gaming

very similar to your PC build. Just a little bit lower.

I can confirm that I can't run 8K at 60FPS too. Too laggy.  I think GPU is too low for it. But 4K at 60FPS is very smooth same as you.

Already enable high performance mode Edge too. If you want me to provide any screenshot to help you prove your theory, I can help you. Your PC build is very similar to mine.

0 Likes
radeonuser1
Journeyman III

mickeekung‌ you might be right that GPU is too low. I did some further testing and ruled out it's not a wifi issue.

I downloaded the Youtube video in it's original size (~1GB) and tried playing through VLC. It shows me the first frame and that's it. I can seek to where ever and it shows the picture at that point. GPU doesn't get engaged. CPU goes to >90%. Here's a screenshot. I tried fiddling with different options, encoders and input formats to see whether I can get it to play but still no dice.

pastedImage_1.jpg

0 Likes