Adept I

X58 RX580 DX12 Issues

I have a computer I am building with a friend. Specs are:
CPU: Intel Xeon 5687 ~3.6 4c8t
RAM: 24 GB ECC Registered Memory
GPU: Asus RX 580 Dual x1
MB: Huananzhi x58 Gaming Deluxe
PSU: 650W Be Quiet! 80 Plus Gold

I've been building computers for a while. And with the current market of PC parts, going new gen wasn't really an option with the budget I was going for. I Specifically get crashes like this is DX12 games and benchmarks. I've done all the troubleshooting I can think of to get it to work: Installing updated x58 drivers, downgrading GFX drivers, OC/UC GPU, and I have reinstalled windows twice now to try and see if I could get any other results from it. The second time reinstalling windows, I went ahead and through my 1080TI in it to see if that would work. And it worked, perfectly. While I was doing that I through the RX 580 into my personal computer with a Ryzen 7 3700x, and, absolutely no problems. I was even able to OC the card in the Radeon settings by simply pressing the Auto OC button. The only problem, was that I was EXTREMELY GPU bottlenecked. But, theoretically, if I could get the X5687 to work with the RX580, it should be in the same class of performance. If only I could figure out how to configure it correctly.

I know that similar issues occur when your drivers don't install correctly. So I have made sure to reinstall the drivers with AMD Cleaning Toolkit, and using DDU, many times, to see if it would help the issue. I know that it is a tessellation problem. And I have seen issues on previous versions of drivers on pure AMD platforms I have used before. But I have never had it be so game breaking that I can't do anything, and it just crashes. But I know that on Intel platforms there are HUGE issues with AMD cards. And this card in particular. My brother used to have this exact graphics card and he had to do a bunch of things to get his driver to work properly, because his card would get really hot and decide not to spin up the fans.

I really would like some help on this, but at this point, I feel it is likely I will not be able to. As I have went onto many many different forums with similar issues. And none of their solutions have done anything. And it's kind of disappointing. Because AMD is finally able to give us some cards that can perform well. But they only seem to work well with their platforms. And it makes it REALLY hard for someone who is trying to build a computer for the first time, or just learn how to. If I can't figure anything out I am going to have to get an NVIDIA card, because for some reason, those just work. 

EXACT DETAILS OF CRASH/HANGING:
So first off, the computer can run most games fine, some random errors with Overlays in games, and other random glitches. Being used to AMD cards, I didn't really expect anything less. I managed to go through and turn off all the overlays in windows, steam, etc. I got the card to let me play games in DX11 and under pretty reliably. But, if I go onto ANYTHING with DX12 it seems to work fine for a minute, and then randomly stops working. Or in the case of SOTTR, it runs, and tessellation is everywhere. People have spikes that randomly come out of them, or buildings. But, if I simply turn SOTTR to DX11, it runs perfectly fine, half the framerate, but it runs, no tessellation problems.

And just to reiterate what I said before, I was able to throw the card in my person AMD rig, and no issues. It ran at a max of 104FPS in SOTTR, 100% GPU Bound, and the CPU render at a cool 404 FPS. And I could throw my 1080TI from my father's computer into the x58 system, and it ran perfectly. 100% CPU Bound, with 106 FPS. So, theoretically, if these could run together, it would be a great combo...
0 Likes
1 Solution
SmellsSmell
Adept I

I talked to my step brother, and he has a GTX 970 OC, and we're gonna switch GPUs. If anyone is building an X58 system right now, go team green, they work. AMD probably isn't going to patch this anytime soon.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
SmellsSmell
Adept I

BIOS UPDATE! I have been trying to do, but the motherboard doesn't come with a flashing tool, and I haven't found an effective way to do it.

0 Likes
SmellsSmell
Adept I

I talked to my step brother, and he has a GTX 970 OC, and we're gonna switch GPUs. If anyone is building an X58 system right now, go team green, they work. AMD probably isn't going to patch this anytime soon.

0 Likes