cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Anonymous
Not applicable

X570 onboard NVME RAID win10 device manager shows SCSI driver from year 2006 ehstore?

I've installed AMD RAID drivers from 25/11/2019 but in windows it shows the SCSI driver is a very old one?

and its using Ehstore, im not sure what the latest SCSI driver storage controller drivers should be but wouldnt even USB 3.0's scsi drivers be newer and faster? If I remember correctly there was a storage controller for old esata drives which was replaced when usb 3.0 SCSI driver was released.. theres a really basic old driver for basic block communication. I just forget the names of each one exactly but NVME drives and bus speeds and buses are maybe newer than the year 2006 but its using really old year 2006 dated drivers does installing new drivers from AMD not do anything at all?

0 Likes
4 Replies
gilban
Adept II

This AMD RAID driver is for the SATA controller in the X570 chipset, not NVME. For NVME disks, you need a driver from the disk manufacturer's website.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The AMD driver is for the RAID controller! but microsoft "storage controller" and the device managers "hard drive" listing shows a "RAID ARRAY SCSI" device and the microsoft storage controller and SCSI hard disk device are using "microsoft scsi driver ehstore" from the year 2006 in the driver information. What i meant was, whats the point of updating all our RAID controller drivers with high speed AMD drivers when microsoft ones are ancient and no good? USB 3.0 replaced that ancient Ehstore/esata driver with higher speed "USB attached SCSI (UAS) Mass storage device" with far higher speed SCSI drivers and certain mainboard makers like ASUS if you use their mainboard driver CD but not available for download from their website on some boards will include a custom even higher transfer speed SCSI over USB driver i believe it was, however for those asus boards and ports they function terribly and laggy and have issues with some devices if you do not install the correct SCSI driver and keep the drivers up to date. (about the asus boards i know this for a fact as maybe 4 or 5 years ago i owned one). I'm certain there must be higher speed scsi drivers or some way to remove microsofts lousy ancient ones or replace Ehstore driver with a newer better more appropriate one? (the AMD drivers quote storport? maybe thats an option?) if we could do so wouldnt drive speed and performance be able to greatly increase the same way SCSI devices speed and performance do over USB 3.0 ports with the correct SCSI UAS driver instead of the ancient decades old ehstore/esata driver. I assumed that AMD's drivers would do this automatically or you know they wouldnt work correctly.

0 Likes

Here the year of the driver does not matter and whether he is Microsoft or not. And because he is free, we can not help it. To be fast, you would have to buy one such as for servers SAS.
And as I mentioned before for NVME RAID drives, you must have drivers from the disk manufacturer. But such drivers appear only Samsung, Intel and maybe someone else. The end.
AMD thought of it so that the Microsoft driver is installed as standard. So if you don't use the SATA RAID controller built into the X570 chipset, you only install the AMD Chipset Drivers (2.04.28.626). And you don't have to.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have enabled RAID mode in BIOS and used the BIOS RAID configuration settings to create and array and used AMD's RAID Drivers when installing windows 10 to allow the RAID to be detected by the windows 10 installer and able to create a partition on the RAID array. So I am "using" AMD's raid controller drivers absolutely certain. I've also installed AMD's chipset drivers. The raid controller on the X570 board is for both SATA RAID and NVME RAID my board has dual NVME ultra m.2 slots and allows for RAID arrays that span both SATA and NVME so you can have 2 sata drives in an array combined with an NVME drive if you so chose to do so like a "volume" raid or something like that. Well while I am in fact using AMD's RAID drivers for the mainboards controller, you see microsoft uses its own storage controller which is decent in terms of functionality but looking at the "SCSI" drivers they're using from 2006 must be garbage in terms of speed. Yes I can understand where you are misunderstanding things if you purchase a samsung NVME drive you must install samsung magician and enable RAPID MODE to create a RAM drive cache buffer for the NVME drive on a single drive allowing it to reach the advertised high transfer speeds that you may have seen online or benchmarked. Other SSD/NVME brands and software allow for things to speed up drives and allow them to function better like performing TRIM maintenance and optimization like "unallocated space". What you are failing to understand is USB 3.0 ports UAS is considerably faster than the previous existing SCSI drivers when transferring data or benchmarking USB SCSI drives. 

THE AMD RAID CONTROLLER WITH AMD DRIVERS HAS A NVME DRIVE ATTACHED TO IT AND IT WORKS BUT MICROSOFT IS IDENTIFYING AND CONTROLLING/COMMUNICATING WITH THAT DRIVE USING OBSOLETE SLOW OUTDATED TRANSFER BUS COMMUNICATION METHODS! Imagine you have an AMD 10gigabit fiber internet connection and microsoft is using 100mbit ethernet cables to let your computer access it? can you understand? do you understand what I am saying? In the year 2006, ryzen CPU's hadnt been invented yet! in the year 2006 x570 mainboards weren't a thing NVME DRIVES WERE NOT EXISTING. the very high speed and low latency should allow drives to perform vastly different to the 90's CDROMS and physical spinning disc hard drive HDD's which high end models which were still slow as dirt used ancient SCSI methods to communicate with the computer SCSI is derived from "SASI", the "Shugart associates System Interface", developed circa 1978 and publicly disclosed in 1981 do you know how slow SCSI was back then? it could only transfer max bandwidth of 20MB per second if you use a SCSI driver from the 80's or 90's with your NVME drive that can individually transfer 500MB/sec effortlessly and in a RAID NVME array even higher! So you see you can actually transfer terabytes of data per second in a NVME RAID array so why dont you try installing the same SCSI drivers from the 1980's to get the same SCSI speeds as the amiga 3000 or some of the early apple computers who quickly abandoned scsi for external devices in favour of firewire as it was amazingly faster at the time but now it sucks compared to high speed scsi or SCSI over USB 3.1 which is 1,200MB/s throughput meanwhile SCSI EXPRESS which is SCSI over PCI express 3.0 allows for 985 MB/s throughput however i have an X570 AMD board thats state of the art i have USB 3.2 gen2 x2 standard ports thats EVEN FASTER for SCSI over USB than the UAS-2 in USB 3.1 sooo you see my mainboard has actually not PCI express 3.0 or something ancient and slow and boring like that no its actually amazingly got PCI EXPRESS 4.0!!! which is twice as fast as 3.0 literally! So with the correct SCSI drivers for the latest SCSI over PCI express it should be LIGHTNING ROCKETING TERABYTES OF DATA ZOOMING BY IN A BLINK FAST probably im guessing about 2,000MB/sec since pcie 4.0 is double 3.0 speed. So yeah It bothers me when ancient slow awful drivers are being used to control and interact with my HDD even if microsoft wanna say some nonsense about it being a virtual adaptor or something stupid or "only used to make microsofts drive management software function" in which case how can i disable their crap and put some modern real high speed SCSI drivers in there that my mainboard allows for? or simply disable microsofts storage controller and drive management software altogether and use third party tools or AMD RAID Xpert software instead?

THAT is why i was bothered by it because i dont own an amiga 3000 or power macintosh G3 from 1997 which probably used very similar speed and specs drivers and software to the ones released in 2006!!! It bothers me that people aren't questioning this or trying to investigate it at all?

0 Likes