cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

spitwspots
Adept I

X399 "invalid number if disks" when I try to use 3 NVMe M.2 drives in RAID 0

From everything I read including here Now available: Free NVMe RAID upgrade for AMD X399 chipset!  there should be no problem using 3 drives.

It lets me make a raid 0 with 2 drives but it wont let me do anything with 3.

Any suggestions?  Did I miss something?

FYI I'm using the Asus ROG Zenith Extreme MB on the latest BIOS.

Thank you everyone in advance for your help. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Thank you for your response.

I think I figured it out.  It seems one of the disks was not initialized.  I feel a little dumb for not noticing that earlier.  But I also think that the interface is somewhat confusing.  The fact that if you try to add an uninitialized disk to an array you get an error saying the number of disks is invalid really gets you (or at least me) looking in the wrong direction for a solution.

It would be helpful (in case there are others like me) if it either didn't allow you to select a disk that had not been initialized or gave you a different error that let you know your selected disk could not be added to the array.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

This configuration should work, but you'll need to provide more information before we can begin to debug. For example, what Bios version/Bios settings are you using? Are the 3x Nvme drives connected correctly and show in the Bios?

INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

https://www2.ati.com/relnotes/amd-raid-quick-start-guide.pdf

Thank you for your response.

I think I figured it out.  It seems one of the disks was not initialized.  I feel a little dumb for not noticing that earlier.  But I also think that the interface is somewhat confusing.  The fact that if you try to add an uninitialized disk to an array you get an error saying the number of disks is invalid really gets you (or at least me) looking in the wrong direction for a solution.

It would be helpful (in case there are others like me) if it either didn't allow you to select a disk that had not been initialized or gave you a different error that let you know your selected disk could not be added to the array.

Agree on both your points.

You do need to initialize each disk and then it should work. Unfortunately Asus do not provide any official instructions on how to set this up, unlike other MB vendors.