cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

thavis
Adept I

Wrong display resolution / generic non pnp-monitor: radeon software at fault?

Hello everyone,

i know it's a lot of text and information... so thank you all very much in advance for your time and effort. 

First a little bit of background:

I've had this problem for a long time now and had contact with the display manufacturer, MSI support and i also tried numerous forums to get a solution, which obviously did not help since i'm writing this here. It was okay for watching videos so i just gave up in 2017, but the situation has changed and i would like my secondary display to work correctly again, because pdfs and programming scripts are horrible in 640x480. I've been looking around again and tried different approaches and i am at a point where i don't know any further. 

The problem

There is only the 640x480 (60 Hz) resolution available for my 2nd display. Main display works fine. Setting something else with adrenalin (custom resolution) or tools like CRU does only result in "no signal" error on the display. Windows device manager shows 1st display as PnP monitor and 2nd display as non-Pnp monitor. 

The "fun" part:

After fiddling with settings for a few days again, deleting and installing drivers and changing resolutions via CRU, i have now reached a stage in which the display hast the correct solution after startup juuuuust >>until radeon software loads<<. Then both screen flicker once and it shows "no signal" on 2nd display again. Uninstalling radeon software package is not the solution, because then the main monitor doesn't work correctly. 

tl:dr:

• start pc -> device manager shows 1st monitor pnp, but native resolution; 2nd monitor non-pnp with 640x480
  • after changing "non PnP-monitor" resolution with CRU to native 1280x1024
  • start pc -> native resolution on both displays until a few seconds later
  • radeon software loads up -> displays flicker, then 2nd display "no signal"

See troubleshooting below.

System

MSI RX 480 armor 8Gb

Win 10 Pro N 64bit

Ryzen 7 1700X on a MSI X370 gaming pro carbon

32 gb DDR4

drivers and bios are up to date

1st / main display: Asus PA238 (connected via DP or HDMI)

native 1920x1080; 19:9

2nd / secondary display: fujitsu scaeloview H19-1 (connected via DVI-D)

native 1280x1024; 5:4

monitor input supports analog (vga), analog( DVI-I) or digital (DVI-D, but no dual link bc pins are not connected)

Troubleshooting:

1. display works well on pc with nvidia gtx460. It worked on a system with radeon 5770 and catalyst drivers.
  2. changing to different DVI cables does nothing
  3. connecting only 2nd display does nothing
  4. Installing .inf does nothing or gives "no signal" if it contains information about timing/resolution
  5. clear installing driver package/ radeon software does nothing
  6. clean windows installation does nothing
  7. deinstalling drivers via device manager does nothing 
  8. a few resolutions have worked during different radeon-software-versions since 2017, but never the native resolution (in 2017 1280x720 worked, but was fit to fullscreen, which was horrible as well)
  9. using different custom resolution tools (integrated adrenalin feature or CRU) does result in the display showing "no signal"
  10. GPU scaling on/off does nothing, except if a custom resolustion is set then on keeps 640x480 and off results in "no signal"
  11. deactivating virtual super resolution does nothing
  12. windows device manager event "Not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match"
  13. MonInfo does not show 2nd monitor, but multiple entries of 1st monitor (live, reg-active, reg)
  14. Radeon software correctly identifies the names of both monitors. Device manager does not and shows pnp-monitor (1st display) and non-PnP-monitor (2nd display).

I hope this covers everything so far, if anything is missing feel free to ask

0 Likes
1 Solution

One way to eliminate your monitor is by installing a second different monitor and see if it works correctly.

If it does, then that indicates that your fujitsu monitor is not 100% compatible with Windows 10 or you need to install the original 2006 Monitor H19-7 driver and see if it shows up as Fujitsu Monitor or possibly use a different Video port from your GPU card as a test.

If you don't have a handy HD monitor to install try installing your HD TV if you have one.

Maybe you can try using the DP or HDMI Port on your GPU card and see if that works by using a DP<DVI-D or HDMI>DVI Adapter.

From a tech website:

Can you convert DisplayPort to DVI?
DisplayPort can be passively converted to Single-Link DVI and HDMI. VGA, Dual-Link DVI, and other formats require an Active adapter.
From another tech site:

DVI to HDMI

DVI is a digital signal in the same format as the video portion of HDMI. The difference is that DVI doesn't carry the audio signal like HDMI does. This means that if you are only using the video signal you can use a simple DVI to HDMI plug adapter that changes the physical connections. If you want to go from a DVI source with audio, you'll need an active converter to combine the video signal from the DVI source and the audio into the HDMI signal.

Found this Tech website that explains your Device Manager error "Device not Migrated": Fixed: Device Not Migrated on Windows 10 - Windows 10 Skills 

View solution in original post

20 Replies

This website has your Fujitsu Monitor manual: Changing The Monitor Settings - Fujitsu Siemens Computers SCALEOVIEW H17-1 Operating Manual [Page 21... 

Do you have your Monitor set for Digital Input:

Using your Monitor's OSD Menu:

Make sure your Fujitsu Monitor has the correct 60 hz frequency and Resolution under Windows Settings - Display.

Also check to see if you have a Fujitsu Monitor driver to download from Fujitsu Support.

What happens if you disconnect the first Monitor and just use your Fujitsu Monitor as the Main monitor. Do you still get the low Resolutions or the Native Resolution?

All the Monitor Driver for your Fujitsu are provided by Driver Updaters so it was useless.

Went to Fujitsu and inputted a slightly different Model E19-7 and downloaded their Windows 10 WHQL driver from 2015. See if it will work on your Monitor. The E19-7 seems to have the same Resolutions as your older model: Fujitsu Technical Support pages from Fujitsu Fujitsu Continental Europe, Middle East, Africa & India 

I downloaded and attached it to this post if you want to download it to your computer and see if your Non-PNP Monitor now shows Fujitsu Monitor. Then see if you are able to get the correct Resolution on your Fujitsu Monitor.

Fujitsu model E19-7 LED Specs from Fujitsu.com:

Thank you very much, sadly no solution yet.

It even switches back to digital automatically after setting it to analog 

elstaci schrieb:

What happens if you disconnect the first Monitor and just use your Fujitsu Monitor as the Main monitor. Do you still get the low Resolutions or the Native Resolution?

Nothing changes, even after restart. Still low resolution and "non-PnP-monitor" in device manager. 

elstaci schrieb:

Make sure your Fujitsu Monitor has the correct 60 hz frequency and Resolution under Windows Settings - Display.

Neither 59 nor 60 Hz work and 75Hz aren't even listed, thought it's capable of 1280x1024 @75 Hz

The driver you attached/linked did not work. It goes directly into "no signal" mode.

0 Likes

One way to eliminate your monitor is by installing a second different monitor and see if it works correctly.

If it does, then that indicates that your fujitsu monitor is not 100% compatible with Windows 10 or you need to install the original 2006 Monitor H19-7 driver and see if it shows up as Fujitsu Monitor or possibly use a different Video port from your GPU card as a test.

If you don't have a handy HD monitor to install try installing your HD TV if you have one.

Maybe you can try using the DP or HDMI Port on your GPU card and see if that works by using a DP<DVI-D or HDMI>DVI Adapter.

From a tech website:

Can you convert DisplayPort to DVI?
DisplayPort can be passively converted to Single-Link DVI and HDMI. VGA, Dual-Link DVI, and other formats require an Active adapter.
From another tech site:

DVI to HDMI

DVI is a digital signal in the same format as the video portion of HDMI. The difference is that DVI doesn't carry the audio signal like HDMI does. This means that if you are only using the video signal you can use a simple DVI to HDMI plug adapter that changes the physical connections. If you want to go from a DVI source with audio, you'll need an active converter to combine the video signal from the DVI source and the audio into the HDMI signal.

Found this Tech website that explains your Device Manager error "Device not Migrated": Fixed: Device Not Migrated on Windows 10 - Windows 10 Skills 

Found this Tech website on how to troubleshoot your Device Manager "Device not Migrated" error: Fixed: Device Not Migrated on Windows 10 - Windows 10 Skills 

It mentions to install the proper Monitor driver.

Run SFC /scannow in a elevated Command Prompt or Powershell to make sure your Windows is not corrupted or missing any critical files.

This tech site has some troubleshooting tips on how to resolve NON-PnP Monitor in Device Manager. By the way that is the reason why you have low Resolution on your Monitor: Windows Suddenly Does Not Recognize Monitor, Stuck On Generic non-PnP Driver at Low Resolution 

You going to need to download the H19-1 Monitor driver to see if it fixes your problem or switch to a different GPU video output such a HDMI-DVI or DP-DVI using an cable adapter.

0 Likes

sfc /scannow and also /dsim /online /restorehealth (which was suggested by another site) won't do the trick.

Using flat panel driver doesn't work either. Or it does for a few seconds until radeon software pops up.  

0 Likes

You going to need to download the H19-1 Monitor driver to see if it fixes your problem or switch to a different GPU video output such a HDMI-DVI or DP-DVI using an cable adapter.

In an exchange in 2017 with fujitsu support they said that no explicit driver for this monitor was neccessary / available anymore.

Which seems to be why the download-link on their page does not give a result for the H19-1. I've tried the original .inf i had stored but it only includes the name-change and no further information about resolution or timings.

0 Likes

The monitor works on a pc with win 10 and a nvidia gtx 460 on DVI-D without problems, with or without installing the 

It also works on my system (rx 480) in 1280x1024 for a few seconds during the time of the login (to windows) and the start of the radeon software. The moment the radeon software loads up, the 2nd display goes to either 640x480 or "no signal" mode. So it works with win 10 until radeon software does something... or windows does something to the radeon software... 

This leads me to think that the GPU is capable of delivering the 1280x1024 on this monitor, but something is interfering. 

Can't test either of those adapters for now, since stores are closed and i will order one, but it will take a few days. 

I'll try to get a hold on some other display with DVI-D and post the results, thanks.

(with two DP monitors it works fine, but they are the same model, so i would be surprised if it wasn't). 

0 Likes

Don't purchase an Adapter yet. Wait until we can be sure it isn't an AMD Driver issue, which by your last reply, seems to be the case.

For troubleshooting purpose only and temporarily uninstall the AMD Driver with the internet disconnect, go to Device Manager and see if your NON-PnP Monitor is now PnP.

If you have the Native Resolution then it should show as PnP Monitor.

If it is PnP, try installing the Monitor driver you have from the past using Device Manager to install it. See if it changes to Fujitsu Monitor with the correct Resolution.

NOW install the AMD Driver again using this basic method:

Uninstall the current AMD Driver using DDU as per this method:

It could be due to a corrupted AMD Driver installation.

Download free program DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). Run it in Safe mode with the internet disconnected.

You can also run it in Windows Desktop but then you would need to Reboot the computer for DDU to finish erasing all of  the AMD Driver traces from your computer.

Once it finishes uninstalling the current AMD Driver in Safe mode and boots back to Windows Desktop, still with the Internet disconnected, delete the AMD Installation folder C:\AMD if it was created before.

Now install the full AMD Drive package you downloaded manually from AMD Download page. Not the express package. Run the package and if it installs correctly again delete C:\AMD folder and reconnect the internet.

This should prevent any conflict when installing the new version from the previous version.

By the way, C:\AMD is always created whenever you run the AMD Driver package

Did it go back to low resolution and NON-PnP Monitor status again?

IF it did then that is a good indication that IT IS a AMD Driver issue and not Windows 10 or your Monitor.

Here is AMD latest Driver for your RX 480: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-400-series/radeon-rx-400-series/radeon-rx-480 

Here is AMD previous Drivers (~6 months or so) for your RX 480: https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/radeon-400-series/radeon-rx-400-series/rade... 

See if the current or the oldest AMD previous driver fixes your monitor problem.

IN THE MEANTIME open an Online AMD Service Request Ticket (Official AMD SUPPORT) from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

See what they suggest or advice.

I'm running out of time for today, but i'll try first thing tomorrow morning.

Again thank you very much for your help, much appreciated.

0 Likes

elstaci schrieb:

Did it go back to low resolution and NON-PnP Monitor status again?

Yes it did.

In the step before installing the amd driver the monitor does not show up as active in device manager and stays in "no signal". 

elstaci schrieb:

Here is AMD previous Drivers (~6 months or so) for your RX 480: https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/radeon-400-series/radeon-rx-400-series/rade... 

The problem exists since 2017, that should cover older driver, i suppose. Just in case I also tried 19.9.2 with the method above and no solution.

Which reminds me, because of it's WHQL certification, that i also went to the bios settings to disable the "Win10 WHQL-support "option to see if it makes a difference during or after the installation process. It doesn't. well ...regarding this problem. 

0 Likes

Well, I am out of suggestions except open an Online AMD Service Request (link in previous reply) and see what they suggest.

This website has old AMD Video drivers from the latest to past 2017: Videocards - ATI Catalyst Windows 7 | 8 | 10 

If one of those works then it is a problem with your Monitor and latest AMD Driver not being compatible for some reason.

You can try using a DP>DVI or HDMI>DVI Adapter and see if it works if it isn't to expensive.

Otherwise, I am out of ideas.

If you do decide to purchase the Adapter and it works please update this thread. Thanks.

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

You cannot use DVI and HDMI video outputs at the same time. Use only HDMI port or use only DVI port. Your GPU manufacturer's DVI support does not indicate that the product you have has multiple support simultaneously. And this problem is not related to drivers. Almost all new generation GPUs do not even contain a DVI port. A converter adapter can be used for the DVI-supported monitor, but no one can guarantee it.

Thanks for your time and comment

I was finally able to borrow another PA238 and try around for a bit.

The combination of of 2x PA238 works fine in either combination (except HDMI, possibly because the cable seems to be defect; single monitor on HDMI did not work). 1xDP and 1xDVI-D works, but on the DVI-D-connected monitor the color- and pixelformat-information is missing in radeon software and MonInfo. Sadly i forgot to take a look at the device manager to see if the DVI-D is listed as Pnp or non PnP-monitor). Will do again when i get the chance.

With 1xPA238 connected to DP and the H19-1 to DVI-D the H19-1 isn't even showing in MonInfo, but the radeon software lists it as "H19-1" in the display-section. 

So ... maybe there's something going on with the EDID, which in turn leads to some sort of default monitor, which then leads to some conflict between some windows magic and/or radeon default monitor stuff? As written before it works for a brief moment until the radeon software loads up, if i override the resolution with CRU before the restart.

Also, i'll update if there's news/ideas from the ticket. (as far as i'm allowed to do so)

Asus does have a Monitor driver (2014) but for Windows 8. Don't know if it will work in Windows 10: ProArt PA238Q Driver & Tools | Monitors | ASUS Global 

IF Windows 10 Device Manager updates the Monitor driver using Windows 8 then you good to go. It should show your Asus Model instead of PnP Monitor.

Can you configure your Asus monitors using Asus own Monitor software: ASUS MultiFrame Software

0 Likes

Got the second PA238 for a short time again. Without the driver both PA238 (1xDP, 1xDVI-D) show up as PnP. 

The driver won't install due to a missmatch with the hash, unless forced to. After a restart it did not automatically change to PA238, but after specifically updating the driver for each entry in the device manager it worked, no surprise there.

Asus multiframe works, or at least i can move around office-windows via the control in the upper right of those windows to both monitors. Both display the identification numer.

0 Likes

If you can connect PA238 and H19-1 models to your graphics card one by one without any problem, it is not necessary to search for the problem with the display driver or with the graphics card. So there is probably incompatible. And an converter adapter can solve your problem. But I cannot guarantee it. Adapters look like that...

R1765673-01.jpg

If graphics cards with DVI(-D) support were produced for multi-display support, these graphics cards would be released with more than one DVI port. But in almost all of the newly released graphics cards, I could not see any DVI port. Existing types only have "one" port.

Actually I changed too many graphics cards. There were single VGA outputs, VGA + DVI outputs, VGA + DVI + DVI-D outputs, DVI + DVI-D outputs. But I did not have a graphics card with two DVI-D outputs. Multi monitor support has already come up with HDMI for me.

Multi display support of graphics cards with single DVI support via DP or HDMI probably depends on GPU manufacturer and monitor firmware, I think. And this's probably why it doesn't work for you.

Also you can try WIN+CTRL+SHIFT+B shortcut to reload firmwares of the monitor. I saw those who had problems because they did not use this shortcut.

mstfbsrn980 schrieb:

If you can connect PA238 and H19-1 models to your graphics card one by one without any problem, it is not necessary to search for the problem with the display driver or with the graphics card. So there is probably incompatible. 

Connecting only the H19-1 via DVI-D does not work. Same problem as it is when both monitors are connected. 

Also multi-display with DVI-D and DP works fine with two PA238 displays. 

Well the thing is, that the GPU is able to produce a resolution of 1280x1024 on the H19-1 at DVI-D, but only if you force it to do so via CRU and only UNTIL radeon software loads up. As soon as the software comes along it goes either to "no signal", or to 640x480 depending if 1280x1024 was forced via CRU beforehand. I'n no expert in these kind of things, some basic knowledge about microcontrollers from school at best, but to me it looks like it is able, but not allowed to. Wether it is because the software says it's not supported, to old, can't read EDID or some feature that requires something the monitor can't deliver, i don't know. 

Package tracking indicates that the dp-dvi adapter might come in today. If it does, i'll give another update on the matter today or more likely on monday.

0 Likes

In some cases, adapter quality also gains importance. I hope the adapter works. We will wait for your response.

0 Likes
thavis
Adept I

Workaround / solution is an active adapter.

After deinstalling monitors and reinstalling drivers radeon software still did the 640x480 and recognized it as H19-1, but now both overrides work (CRU software or custom resolution in radeon software package) and won't revert to 640x480 after radeon software launch. 

Oh and the flickering of both monitors when radeon software launches is gone, too. 

Good thing i got two different adapters, just to be sure, because the DVI-connector on one of them is 2 mm thicker and didn't fit... 

Again, thank you very much for your time!