cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Cornugon
Miniboss

Re: Witcher 3

I know how to tweak settings. You can't get a steady 60fps on that card with performance killers like Hairworks (not even with a low Tesselation) ON and Foliage Visibility Range on Ultra. With both of those disabled (Foliage Visibility Range on High instead of Ultra) I get a steady 60fps myself. If I enable even one of those, I see my fps go down a bit. If I leave those settings off/high and set my res at 1440p using VSR, the stable and smooth 60fps is gone as well.

And sure you can finetune both of those settings in those .ini-files to get the best trade-off in eye-candy vs performance. But the game's default Ultra Foliage Visibility hits the fps just a bit too much.

0 Likes
enixmage
Journeyman III

Issue is AMD really can't figure out gameworks code, it's proprietary and even the devs are given .dll files. The thing to remember here is the game is made for consoles first..Consoles have AMD cards in them. Though they are single Gpu cards obviously, then you try to port it and add game works code on top of it, honestly I'm quite shocked half of these games work as well as they do. 

The best Amd can do is turn Tessellation to 8x by default, which soon as they do that a game that requires it to be much higher will come out and the internet will spazz out. Nvidia does Tessellation better, Amd does direct compute better...So guess what Nvidia is pushing...Problem with that is their cards are getting done in also. Idk I see it one of 2 ways.

1: Their giving more than half their users horrid performance along with AMD (their maxwell chips do tessellation a lot faster but older chipsets that should own this game are getting the really short end) Just to make AMD look bad...(Sad fact here is that it's working)

2: Their code is written by monkeys. Which of course I'm being facetious their not idiots and this is a billion dollar industry, I understand where their coming from but that is just dirty.

Now with all that being said..there's still no excuse for not having a crossfire profile up.  

0 Likes
jawadsmokii
Adept II

I m wishing FOR CROSSIFRE Profile :(((((((((((((((

0 Likes
enixmage
Journeyman III

Yeah I have foliage and shadows on high I forgot to mention that sorry. as far as postprocessing effects depends on which sweetfx I'm running, I do always turn off vignette though, it just makes edges of screen dark and has a small fps hit. Now if your trying to run 3800x2160p then yeah man you're gonna have to wait for drivers and a CF profile. I was under the impression you couldn't hit 60 fps in 1080.

0 Likes
athlona
Journeyman III

Can't AMD just release a Crossfire Profile without the need for new drivers or was that a Dream ?

0 Likes
enixmage
Journeyman III

You should take 5 mins and look into the .ini files though you can set Textures to 4096 (ultra is 2048) which we have 4gb cards so really no performance drop and force 16x AF those 2 things make the game look way better (unless they did actually fix the AF in patch.) Other than that it's minor tweaks, like maxed compressed budget to 120 uncompressed to 295 , Improves loading/streaming.

0 Likes
Cornugon
Miniboss

No problems mate, I rechecked my settings and without .ini tweaks I have to disable Hairworks and set Foliage Distance to High to get a smooth consistent (well with the occasional hitching which is apparently normal in open-world games) 60fps@1080p. This includes having maximum shadow detail and HBAO+ on. With all settings maxed (Tesselation set to x8 in CCC) I get around 44fps in the prologue-village.

I have Vignetting enabled since it only seems to do something when using Witcher-sense and is not always there.

0 Likes
Cornugon
Miniboss

I already did a bunch of tweaks, but probably too heavy on the shadows so I reset them to default. I don't think raising the Texture res to 4096 would help much since I didn't see a difference with 2048 and I actually don't think there are any such resolution textures in the game. Especially since there are plenty of low-res around. But some of the rest might help, but I'm going to look into the tweaks again when the 15.5 finally arrives...

0 Likes
enixmage
Journeyman III

Oh another thing on Hairworks, one of the "features" in it was to set individual AA on the Hairwork models and it defaults to Msaa 8x. Which is overkill and if your running high res anyway unnecessary. This setting has no bearing on in game AA just the Hairworks part. Go to   C:\"where ever your game is installed at" \The Witcher 3 - Wild Hunt\bin\config\base and the .ini is rendering.ini. Make a backup of it open it up and change the line HairWorksAALevel=8 to 4. Also if you have the 1.04 patch installed the line TextureMipBias=-1. Users have reported 10fps gain by putting it back to 0. in 1.01-1.03 it was 0,

if you're using sweetfx (or even if you're not depending on preference) the game may be too sharp anyway, so you can try with it on and off. I'm "currently" using  Photorealism Preset at The Witcher 3 Nexus - Mods and community and have turned in game sharpness off. and TextureMipBias=0. I can't say for certain that it's huge fps gain, but it is noticeably faster on 0.

0 Likes
Cornugon
Miniboss

Thanks, but like I said I know how to tweak .ini-files. And I know about the Hairworks AA-setting. And I agree that both a Tesselation Factor at x64 and MSAA at x8 on just the hair is overkill at 1080p. Maybe the difference is noticable at 4K between a lower setting, but in my book, to 'solve' the Hairworks performance 'issue' CDPR should just add a Hairworks MSAA slider in the game, and one that controls the Tesselation factor of the hair (like with the ocean-tesselation, which is also forced to x8 if you override from CCC).

I like to leave the TextureMipBias at -1 since I like the sharper textures, and at my current settings it doesn't cause frame dips: -Texture rendering quality for the high and ultra presets has been improved.

I did disable the in-game Sharpness setting though. I'm not going to use any sweetfx...

I was using the tweakguide by the way on geforce.com

0 Likes