cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Yuukiya89
Adept I

Witcher 3 patch 4.01 random crashes and driver timeout - 7900XT

While I was able to optimize my settings with RT performance and the rest at max getting 75 to 80 fps except on Novigrad. I still get random crashes and driver timeout notification from the adrenaline software.

I also tested settings with RT off still those random crashes occur. This is on DX 12.

CPU and GPU temps are fine.
Tried using both drivers below but still random crash occurs.
AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin 23.1.1 - despite stating that the fix has been applied on this.
AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin 23.1.2

2 days ago while using 23.1.2 driver i was able to play 5 hours straight with no crashes. but today i had like 4 crashes in 1 hour of gameplay.

DX11 has no problems

CPU 5600X - PBO on
GPU 7900 XT - Stock

Current Driver AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin 23.1.2

Anyone here has the same issue? I already reported several times via AMD bug report tool and also to CDPR support.

Hopefully the driver team is looking unto this.

19 Replies
Heavy1
Journeyman III

i have  same issue with driver AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin 23.1.2 .Dx12 crashes DX11 workes fine.

Same, its crushing all time at dx 12. Yesterday i played 2 hours today i just cant every 20minutes driver gets time out.  Using Igni causing crashes in dx 12 the most for me, doesnt metter when RT is on or OFF. I have 7900xtx.

RodroG
Adept I

Same issue here. RX 7900 XT and Adrenalin 23.1.2. DX11 works fine.

i9-12900K | RX 7900 XTX | 32GB DDR4
Yuukiya89
Adept I

Thanks for the replies. By the way i did further testing,

Kept the game open for 1.5 hours just afk. DX12 with RT on, FSR quality - did not crashed. However when i hop on back tried to roam around and went into combat the crash occurred again.

This could be on game side or radeon driver side. CDPR earlier they are prepping a hot fix again for patch 4.01 lets hope it fixes it.

Its attached to combat for sure at last in my case

RodroG
Adept I

Yes, I agree. It could be on the game side or the Adrenalin driver side. I also hope the upcoming game hotfix solves it. Otherwise, we will have to wait for a display driver fix. I already sent many bug reports to the AMD Radeon driver team too. Fingers crossed.

Hopefully. Its really frustrating coz perf wise with my optimized RT settings its already fine. well except for when am in novigrad lol. Its just these crashes that really hampered it.

Yuukiya89
Adept I

tried the AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin 23.2.1drivers. Still issue occurs on DX12.

0 Likes

Hi, thanks for sharing. Have you been able to test if the new game hotfix solves the problem?

We 7900 series users deserve to be able to play this game without crashes on DX12.

0 Likes

I have it much better now not perfect, but better. Anyway recipe: Instal new drivers, save your witcher 3 !!save games somewhere , thats important or GG with your progress. !!Uninstal the game delete everything and instal it again CDP also came with new update for us. Its very little hotfix, but its often doesnt work if your game isnt instaled with it. Cheerio i hope it will help you guys it helped me and also two other guys on the witcher 3 forum, these two has no crashes what soever i had just one after 6 hours of playing the game and it was without AMD driver crash. Just game alone crashed. This Tip came directly from CDP support devs. Quite frankly, its not very custommer friendly, but it can work.

0 Likes

RE: "not very custommer friendly" 

0 Likes

Yet it started to crash again... nothing changed in the end sorry

0 Likes

Hi, actually CDPR reached out to me with the same advice as you gave. Yep, still doesnt work.

Also even with the newest patch and hotfix still the issue occurs. This could be on the game side problem...guess will have to wait for a while.... DX11 for now it is....

jsk68
Challenger

adonisvh
Adept I

I can feel the frustration of all since we love the game and we've got a top GPU to enjoy it at max.

In my case I was able to finish the game (3rd time in total) on DX12 using my old GPU (RX6950XT) with total 20 crashes or so. I've started a new game + with my new RX7900XT recently and at the time I reached Velen I had 10 crashes or so. Yesterdy the adrelanin updated (to 23.3.1) and it crasehes after 10-120 sec no more.

Corss my fingers for a fix soon.

Crawnick
Adept I

There's definitely some issues with DX12 - my understanding is that it runs great and it's on the game developers to properly program for it where as DX11 did a lot of error handling/fixes itself when poor programming was done. Everything I've read says drivers aren't the problem although I do wonder why my brother can use DX12 on a 3060Ti and not crash in the same spot as me in MHW.

RodroG
Adept I

Hello. The Witcher 3 patch 4.02 with the latest Adrenalin driver 23.4.1 still crashes when using DX12 API.

Please, could some AMD representative look into it?

You may want to pay attention to many RX 7900 XT/XTX users suffering this annoying issue for a few months on the Internet (look at the game's Steam forum, for example):

https://steamcommunity.com/app/292030/discussions/0/3768985982153104870/

botkiller
Journeyman III

23.3.1 works without any crashes for me, but low GPU usage.. clock speed only 1100 mhz and low power 45 watt, my GPU is RX 5500M 65 watt. No mods.

0 Likes

Adrenaline 23.4.3 probably fix the crashes for me. I played over 30 minutes with no crash. The release notes say:

"High idle power has situationally been observed when using select high-resolution and high refresh rate displays on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs."

I use RX 7900 XT @ 4K 120Hz display

It was adrelanine issues after all.

0 Likes