cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Wilfyz
Journeyman III

Windows Wont Shutdown if any AMD Driver is Installed

Recently, I updated to the latest AMD Adrenalin software 20.11.3. My system froze during the update so I had to hard reboot. 

I rolled back to the previous available version 20.11.2 and now, every time I shut down or restart my PC hangs. My monitors shut off but the lights and fans are still on.

If I use DDU to uninstall all AMD drivers my system will shut down normally again.

I have tried installing both available Adrenalin versions but .3 freezes on install and .2 has this shutdown problem. 

I unfortunately can't recall if I was on an older version before I tried updating to 20.11.3

My System: 

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x
GPU: MSI Gaming MX 5600XT

Things I have Tried:

1) Uninstalling all AMD Drivers via DDU (Fixes the problem but obviously not Ideal)
2) Disabling windows fast start
3) Setting 'EnableUlps' Registry Values to 0
4) Performed a Windows Reset

I also noticed one of my Windows Feature Updates 1909 has been failing to update, no idea if this is related but noticed it around the same time I started getting this shutdown issue.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Wilfy

0 Likes
1 Solution

Thanks for the suggestion, I was able to fix my problem with these steps: 

1) Run DDU to uninstall all AMD drivers. (The AMD drivers were blocking the windows update)
2) Download and run Windows 10 Update Assistant
3) Update to latest windows version
4) Download an older version of Adrenalin. I used 20.11.1. Not sure if the newer updates will work for me now but I'll try at a later date. 

Hope this helps anyone else who runs into a similar problem.

Cheers,
Wilfy

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies

I suspect the Windows update failure as the AMD drivers suggest a updated OS. Go to Windows update and try to manually select/install it....or the latest version available.

Thanks for the suggestion, I was able to fix my problem with these steps: 

1) Run DDU to uninstall all AMD drivers. (The AMD drivers were blocking the windows update)
2) Download and run Windows 10 Update Assistant
3) Update to latest windows version
4) Download an older version of Adrenalin. I used 20.11.1. Not sure if the newer updates will work for me now but I'll try at a later date. 

Hope this helps anyone else who runs into a similar problem.

Cheers,
Wilfy

0 Likes
policymaster52
Journeyman III

0 Likes