cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Windows won't boot after Uninstalling Radeon Drivers.

Currently on 19.10.2 t and whether through  DDU, AMD clean, and even just installing the 20.2.2 drivers from package on desktop, it always lead to automatic repair after restarting.  Windows' solution being to restart doesn't do anything, so my only working option so far is a system restore point (which I made right before uninstall/installation)  . Then, upon successful system restore I can't load Radeon settings.  Anyone had this type of fun occur and solve it? #

Some speceroonies: 

-MSI X470 Gaming pro (Bios 7B79v1E) 

-R5 2600x 

-2x8GB G.Skill 3000mhz CL16 (ran at base 2133mhz upon uninstall) 

-Sapphire pulse RX5700 (Device manager driver 26.20.13031.5006) 

-750W EVGA Gold+. 

-Latest windows as of March 2nd, SFC said nothing wrong with my windows.

#rx5700#boot up fail‌ #driver updating 

0 Likes
5 Replies

To eliminate a defective GPU card, do you have another GPU card you can install to see if Windows boots up normally and the Graphics driver is installed and working?

Try doing a Windows Ingrade Installation on your computer. When you are at Windows Desktop, run the same Windows Installation disk version. This will reinstall Windows with all your 3rd party apps and Windows configurations intact. Then run Windows Disk Clean to delete Windows.old folder which is created after doing an Ingrade installation.

0 Likes

I have a 1060, the card I owned prior to upgrading. I'll try swapping and seeing what happens when I have the time. Any particular sequence of operations I should take? 

0 Likes

I suggest you open an Online AMD Service Request (AMD SUPPORT) and see what they suggest before replacing the AMD GPU Card from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

Yes, before installing the Nvidia GPU and driver use DDU to uninstall all AMD Graphic driver and related software. Then remove the AMD GPU card.

Once you do that install the Nvidia GPU and power up the computer and install the Nvidia Driver.

See if the computer and Windows boots up normally with the Nvidia driver and GPU card installed. If it does, try installing the AMD GPU card on another computer and see if it has the same problems or not.

IF the same issue occurs with the Nvidia GPU card and drivers than it isn't the AMD GPU card that is the problem but something else.

NOTE: The reason why I suggested installing another GPU card is that Windows should be able to boot up normally with the AMD GPU Card installed without any AMD Drivers installed.  Your AMD GPU Card will be using MS Display Adapter as its Graphic driver (Windows native generic Graphic driver).

By the way, after uninstalling the AMD Driver can you boot into Windows Safe Mode or does it still go into Automatic Windows Repair mode?

It's resolved now, apparently. Before I started to take out he GPU, i said what the hell, and re-extracted the drivers and went to install to expect a failure for the 8th time...and it just worked. I'm now updated.

And to answer when I did have the issue, I was able to enter safe mode fine with the 5700 but not regular boot. I'm going to see how she runs before I start fiddling again. If it ain't broke I'm not fixing it...for now. 

Thanks for all the help and advice, though. I'll keep it all in mind if it happens again, as I'm sure the more permanent solution will require time and effort I can't afford until semester is over.

0 Likes

Good idea about not fixing something that isn't broken (-:.

Glad it worked after 7 tries. It obvious seems to be a driver installation or driver issue or conflict with Windows since the the GPU worked in Safe Mode.

Since everything is working at the moment, I suggest you make a System Backup of your Window's Drive. That is the best way to restore your computer to the way it was when it was working correctly.

The other day I also had a similar issue with Windows constantly going into Automatic Repair Mode and never entering Windows. I tried to repair the Boot Record to no avail.  Finally I just did a System Backup Restore and everything is back to normal again. 

I found out that System Restore is not very reliable. Most of the time it either doesn't restore completely or does a partial Restore. For minor problems like restoring before a driver or program was installed/uninstalled it seems to work well. This is just from my own personal experience and opinion.

But I learned the hard way many years ago when I started building my own computers to make a System Backup with Windows 7 Backup feature and then later on with Windows 10 Backup which still uses Windows 7 Backup feature. I now make a System Backup with 2 different 3rd party software besides using Windows 10 System Backup.

When you do a System Backup, it restore everything including the Window's Partition which is helpful if the Partition or Boot Record somehow got corrupted by a driver or other software.

Anyway I hope you don't have any more issues with the GPU card.