cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

coltonyyz
Journeyman III

Windows Update Wants To Install OLDER Driver For RX570

Hi!  I couldn't find if my problem is posted or not, but ... 

Windows Update is wanting to install AMD Display Driver 26.20.15002.61 but I have 30.0.21000.22018 installed. I keep going in a circle here.... Why is Microsoft wanting me to install an older driver??

When I double click on AMD Software icon near the clock in the taskbar, it gives me a message:

"The version of AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition you have launched is not compatible with your currently installed graphics driver. Please check your system for other versions of AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition that may currently be installed. A factory reset of your AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition installation is recommended. More information about this problem can be found at https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-300.

Untitled4.jpg

Untitled1.jpgUntitled2.jpgUntitled3.jpg

0 Likes
1 Solution

Common issue. You must prevent Windows Update from changing/installing graphics driver. It wants to install the last WHQL driver...not a 'optional' driver.

Read how to fix that here:

How to stop updates for drivers with Windows Update

Lots of people don't like the idea of 'stopping/delaying' Windows updates. I won't get in to that. Here is a way to prevent Windows Update installing any drivers. This does not effect the security, quality,  patch, or any other type update...they are presented as normal.

In short...you don't have to worry about WU installing (changing) AMD graphics drivers.

This is done through group policy:

Type gpedit in the search bar...follow > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update

kingfish_0-1649129789124.png

On the right side scroll to Do not include drivers with Windows Update policy and double click it. Select the ENABLED option.

kingfish_1-1649129789080.png

Click 'Apply' then OK.

Reboot your computer.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Common issue. You must prevent Windows Update from changing/installing graphics driver. It wants to install the last WHQL driver...not a 'optional' driver.

Read how to fix that here:

How to stop updates for drivers with Windows Update

Lots of people don't like the idea of 'stopping/delaying' Windows updates. I won't get in to that. Here is a way to prevent Windows Update installing any drivers. This does not effect the security, quality,  patch, or any other type update...they are presented as normal.

In short...you don't have to worry about WU installing (changing) AMD graphics drivers.

This is done through group policy:

Type gpedit in the search bar...follow > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update

kingfish_0-1649129789124.png

On the right side scroll to Do not include drivers with Windows Update policy and double click it. Select the ENABLED option.

kingfish_1-1649129789080.png

Click 'Apply' then OK.

Reboot your computer.

Thank you for taking the time to post this reply... again by the sounds of it. I apologize that I had to ask, but I appreciate you helped me out!! 

It's happened in the past and I always got annoyed. I even used a 3rd party program called "Windows Update MiniTool" so I could hide problematic updates. In my screen samples, I did show the optional screen, but prior to that, there were AMD updates I had installed (just did a fresh install of Win 11 Insider), but they were older than the version shown in the photo I supplied.

But, again, thank you!  Now I know I can do this moving forward, and will be happy to!  It will save me a lot of headaches!! 

0 Likes

Glad you have it sorted One thing you should know..AMD drivers are certified for Win 10/11 public release versions of the OS. Insider versions sometimes have issues.

0 Likes

I just wanted to add that under Windows 11 on my system, I have to browse past the Windows Update folder in gpedit to the "Manage Updates Offered From Windows Update" folder to get to Do not include drivers with Windows Update.  I don't know if that's a Windows 10/11 thing or just a generic recent change.

On my Windows 10 Pro, I never had any issues what so ever with older drivers from Windows update.
Regardless if I am installing an optional driver or not.

My GPU diver once installed, is just that particular version and never something else - Windows update will not even think about doing any changes to how it will install GPU-driver updates.

All other drivers will of course be updated trough Windows update > optional update

Right now I have the latest Adrenalin Edition Optional (not WHQL) 22.4.1 GPU driver 30.0.15021.1001 and no matter what, I have never seen any problem whats so ever that Windows update will install another (older) GPU-driver version that I have installed.

Yes I have seen some posts about this strange behavior, but I can not understand why?
It must be some strange O/S behavior in that regard.

My Rig:
OBS ver. 27.2.4 (In settings change Codek to S/W from H/W GPU) if You want to record /streaming a gaming session @ 60FPS That will make a whole new experience with high quality video while gaming in high or ultra presets in game graphics settings.
Forget all about AMD Relive what so ever.
OBS is a Freeware: https://obsproject.com/

GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT OC 16GB
GPU Driver: AMD Adrenalin s/w: 22.4.1 (Driver version: 30.0.15021.1001)
Extended monitor setup: Gigabyte AORUS-FI27Q27" 2560x1440 @165Hz (primary), Philips IPS 24" 1920x1080 @60Hz (secondary).
Mobo: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (wi-fi) with AMD X570 chipset
BIOS ver. 4006(with AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.6b)
SAM: Enabled and fully functional.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
Ram: Corsair Vengeance low profile 16GB @3200 MHz cl16
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15-Se AM4
Storage: M2 Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NWME, SSD Samsumg 950 Pro 1 TB SATA
Mouse: Logitech Gaming mouse MX518
Antivirus: Norton 360 Deluxe
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 with latest Windows optional update.

Best regards from Sweden

0 Likes

Oh boy, try joining the DEV channel on the Insider Program. You have to reinstall your AMD driver about once a week. Every DEV release wipes the driver out. If you disable driver updates or disable installing drivers for your video card's device ID, you end up with the basic windows display driver instead. UGH.

0 Likes