Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

johnsmith9980
Journeyman III

Windows update keeps overwriting my installed AMD driver

The current graphic driver is 30.0.14011.3017

but

Windows 10,11 keeps trying past updates.

Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Display - 27.20.11020.10001

Because of this, the blue screen comes up.

It's making me crazy.

Window update settings were turned off in the Local Group Policy Editor, but updates are still being attempted.

How can I solve this problem?

AMD Ryzen 9 4900HS with Radeon Graphics

The problem occurred in Windows 10 and 11.

In Windows 11, the computer is frozen.

asus rog zephyrus ga502iu-az142

12 Replies
Roger0072
Adept II

I found this on an older Windows forum post, maybe it will help?   open control panel - system - advanced system settings - hardware - device installation settings - click never install driver software from windows update. make sure to save changes

This is an awful thing to to that. That is not a "solution" either. Do not recommend it to people.

0 Likes

How to stop updates for drivers with Windows Update

Lots of people don't like the idea of 'stopping/delaying' Windows updates. I won't get in to that. Here is a way to prevent Windows Update installing any drivers. This does not effect the security, quality,  patch, or any other type update...they are presented as normal.

In short...you don't have to worry about WU installing (changing) AMD graphics drivers.

This is done through group policy:

Type gpedit in the search bar...follow > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update

kingfish_0-1641914589175.png

On the right side scroll to Do not include drivers with Windows Update policy and double click it. Select the ENABLED option.

kingfish_1-1641914589182.png

Click 'Apply' then OK.

Reboot your computer.

Same here with another completely different machine. Would be awesome if the people from AMD just send the new drivers to MicroBUGS... sorry, I meant Microsoft, or at least give us some tool to stop windows from update SPECIFICALLY AMD drivers, even if it is a batch file or a registry modification. 

Here you see how much they care about the people who put money in their pockets

Btw: my next computer will be Intel with Nvidia. **bleep** you amd

@Nath  This problem was because of Microsoft. AMD provided correct driver.

In this case Windows trying to install new driver from WU because it released at later date then that installed before.

It released at later date because that driver is special meant for that update and not tested with your hardware, because Microsoft will use you as beta testing coworker but without salary.

I suffered from this one when used Insider builds. I strongly recommend you to not install preview updates and Insider builds too.

I am having the same probelm with 22.5.1 driver. Followed your instruction and it didn't work. DDU and all, still doesn't work.

0 Likes

You cannot use drivers from AMD for Insiders builds....they are for public release builds.you must use whatever Insider provides.

How to stop WU from changing/installing drivers...did you not read my post?

Maybe this option helped once, or it helps only in certain cases.
A few hours and the driver is still updated from the Microsoft server.

0 Likes

I am not referring to Insider builds. Insider builds have their own driver branch.

If you signed up for and installed the Insider program..then you agreed to report the issues to Insider. That's the whole purpose.  

To Insider. Not the vendor.

0 Likes

This is not a solution. Do not recommend it to people. That is awful.

0 Likes
Nath
Journeyman III

I think I found a workaround that doesn't involves disabling any autoupdate. You must uncheck the "Factory reset" box during the instalation of the new driver, so the 27.blablabla driver doesn't get deleted from the system and Winbugs Update remains happy that the beloved driver is still on your disk. It's working amazing for me and hopefully it also work for you.

Tested on Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 (Ryzen 5 4600H, GTX 1650Ti, Winbugs 11 22H2 build 22621.963)

BTW, the same worked for me on Winbugs 10

Nath_0-1671982212030.png

Nath_1-1671983082559.png

0 Likes
estaf
Journeyman III

You can do even better that way.
Update the driver through windows updates.
2. Go to Device Manager and uninstall this driver together with the files (checkbox to remove the files themselves).
3. Uninstall/clean everything via amd driver installer, reboot and install from the same installer as usual.
4. Profit. The system thinks that it has its drivers, because the fact of deleting the driver files themselves means nothing to it.

There is a big problem. Once the system thinks that new drivers are out, it will update them.

0 Likes