Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

DJRebirth
Journeyman III

Windows Update Keeps Overriding Adrenalin 2020 Drivers with old drivers

Hello,

I recently installed AMD's Adrenalin software (Version 20.11.2 released 11/18/2020) in an effort to upgrade my ASUS laptop's two internal video cards (laptop model is ASUS FX505DY-ES51 laptop, video cards are AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics & Radeon RX 560X). Every time I install the AMD Adrenalin software, Windows 10's Windows Update immediately force updates my Display Drivers to an older version from February 2020 and then the Adrenalin software stops working. Is there any way to prevent Windows Update to overriding the new drivers installed via the AMD Software?

Please advise. Thank you!

4 Replies

Yes...you can delay/prevent Windows from automatically installing updates. Depending on the version of Windows you have...Pro or Home.

Type in 'updates in the search bar:

Screenshot_1.pngScreenshot_2.png

Hi Kingfish,

Thanks for your feedback. While I can pause updates, still when I resume them to install any additional Windows 10 Security Update (or feature patch), Windows 10 will still automatically proceed to install the overriding driver. Is there a way to specifically prevent Windows Update from installing the driver for my device?

Please let me know. Thank you!

Windows 10 forum is a good place to find answers to questions like this. I find new things every week.

This is the update tut > https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/id-Windows_Update/

0 Likes

This is real problem, and it need to be resolved with Microsoft!

Users are ok to get driver updates from other manufactures from Microsoft update, in fact it is preferred method to keep drivers up to date.

But there is a bug on Windows (11) or AMD own driver installation scripts, because why Windows doesn't recognize the driver version and keep install older but sure stable version over a newer one?

That solution what people giving, isn't proper one, we don't want to skip all new drivers from Microsoft update, just to AMD GPU one and Windows doesn't have a feature how to do that, it is all or nothing method.