cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Windows transparency effects not working after driver update

So recently I installed the latest driver update for my GPU AMD Radeon RX 560X i.e. v20.7.1, following which Windows Update automatically installed a driver update called "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Display - 26.20.12036.4002". When Windows installed this driver, on booting AMD Radeon software, it gave a pop up message saying "AMD Radeon Software and Driver versions do not match". Also, all the windows acrylic transparency effects stopped working (even though PC Settings app showed them to be on). Then, I went into Device Manager and installed a driver update for my integrated GPU (AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics) and also the dedicated card (AMD Radeon RX 560X). Following this, the AMD Radeon software would boot normally. Also, after restarting explorer.exe from Task Manager, I got the Acrylic Effects in Windows working. However, all of the above mentioned bugs would return with a restart and I would have to update the driver via Device Manager again to get them working. Also now, AMD Radeon Software won't boot. Any help in fixing these bugs would be appreciated.

1 Solution

OHHKKK. I HAVE FINALLY FIXED ALL ISSUES.
First, I downgraded to the stable, WHQL release of the driver (20.4.1)
Then I used this post (https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/g33zi1/windows_10_keeps_reinstalling_wrong_driver/ ), where I downloaded the mentioned troubleshooting file and disabled Windows from auto installing the 1 driver that was messing everything up without having to stop Windows Update all together.
And then all I had to do was restart once and voila! Both the transparency and AMD Radeon Software boot issues were fixed! Hope this helps anyone else with the same issues.

View solution in original post

20 Replies