cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Asterie
Journeyman III

Windows replaced Graphics Driver after disabling automatic downloads v/ Device Installation Settings

System Specs:

CPU- Ryzen 7 5700x, MB- MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, RAM- 32GB HyperX Fury, GPU- Sapphire Pulse RX6800XT, PSU- Corsair HX750i Platinum 750w

Issue:

Graphics Card crashes a few minutes after a game is launched, resulting in black screens on both of the 2 monitor setup, sometimes sound continues, but other times it does not. After rebooting the system display is only provided to 1 of the 2 monitors and when trying to launch AMD Adrenalin it comes up with "Windows Update may have automatically replaced your AMD Graphics Drivers" and links to https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-300.

I have followed both recommendations, disabling windows from updating drivers as described in the link, along with reinstalling the AMD Adrenalin Software. But to no avail, after launching a game, a few minutes pass by and then a black screen. I reboot the system, try to launch AMD Adrenalin Software, but I have the same error message pop up even though I have followed the guide on how to prevent windows from updating the drivers.

This has happened multiple times today after following the same steps over and over, I have also tried clearing the system of any leftover drivers from a previous graphics card via DDU however that didn't help.

0 Likes
3 Replies
ThreeDee
Paragon

disable windows update from updating drivers via Group Policy editor (option 2)

https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-stop-automatic-driver-updates/

Make sure  your motherboards BIOS is up to date

Make sure you are running separate power cables from your power supply to each power input on your GPU

Make sure you have the latest AM4 chipset drivers installed from AMD.com 

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

This is great if you have WinPro.  I have a similar problem where windows update continues to replace the AMD graphics driver with a much older version.  I'm trying a solution stopping all driver updates in the registry but this seems half baked.  Why can't you just install newest driver for AMD and have windows leave it alone. One would think that AMD would have a way to turn this off without turning everything else.

Device name DESKTOP-M4VTQJ5
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 2700U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx 2.20 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.55 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Device name DESKTOP-M4VTQJ5
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 2700U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx 2.20 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.55 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

0 Likes
Gaz936
Adept II

Hi…

I have been having the same issues with blank screens and having to hard re-boot. Then finding that Windows had taken over the graphics drivers. 

What cured it for me was opening Cmd Prompt in Administrator mode, running sfc/scannow and reinstalling the AMD drivers. Since then, no more blank screens.

Hope this helps?